60's and 70's Practical Electronics issues

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.
sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Came across it while looking for new inspirations for projects to my website

http://archive.org/search.php?query=pra ... pe%3Atexts

You may like it too, shitload of cool vintage crap!

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Absolutely love it! I've not looked at them all, but the Sinclair adverts in the December '64 issue are priceless! All before Sir Clive built my Spectrum or battery powered cars. Thanks mate
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Sinner....how do you manage to find stuff like this?, I didn't even know that the website existed, I've got it bookmarked now....cheers.... :thumbsup

There's some pretty cool stuff in those pdfs, I've downloaded a few that really piqued my interest, there's one that looks like it has a design for a harmonic distortion meter, two others with a Fuzz Box design.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Ha! I downloaded them all ;) I was looking on google for number of different old electronic magazines, as I've seen here on FSB few interesting project, like odd fuzzes, or inductorless wah-wah's. I've scored few projects scanned by someone and posted on blog, but I've searched more, and BANG :)

Here's that blog BTW, scroll down

https://electronicmusik.wordpress.com/c ... echnology/

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

One of those Practical Electronics magazines has a design for one of the modules of a Sound Synthesizer designed by G.D. Shaw, it's circa 1973 and I just happen to have the full series of articles for it in pdfs on one of my external hard drives somewhere, Sinner, might see if they're in my dropbox and if they are, I could post a link in this thread, I love looking for these old articles.... :thumbsup

I bookmarked that blog webpage.... :thumbsup

Two of those Practical Electronics magazines have a couple of interesting Fuzz Box designs.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Bring it on :thumbsup

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Hey thanks Sinner, 1965 was about the time I started buying Practical Electronics. I am going to download a few and do some nostalgic reading. I was still a school kid at the time and couldn't afford every issue.

The 30w Linear amp on page 9 of the April 1965 edition was my first bass amp which I bought in about 1968 (well my second really, my first was an old radio chassis with 2 x 6V6 on it). Mine was just the Linear 30 not the Super 30. The difference was that the Super had the expanded metal case, the one I bought was just a bare chassis.

The Linear 30 (4 x EL84) made a lousy bass amp, but was great for warming your hands on in a cold rehearsal room. I traded it in against a Linear 50 (2 x EL34) which was a marginally better bass amp but gave out lots more heat.

Edit - Oh crap, I've just read the ad and it uses 2 xEL34 not 4 x EL84. It must just have had bigger transformers in the Linear 50.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Great story Richard :)

In my case everything I know comes from here. Still these magazines are like playboy to me

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Turns out I didn't have the pdfs on any of my external drives, but, I was able to download them from this website:

http://rubidium.dyndns.org/cag/

There's lots of other Synth stuff there too, some links don't seem to work but most seem to, I think Anders Sponton is in the process of updating the website and,or moving to a new server.... :thumbsup

Here's a link to my Dropbox, and as far as I know that's all the articles....(hopefully it should work):

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public

I got alot of my electronics knowledge from reading Electronics Mags like Practical Electronics, but I actually started off by reading all my dad's Electronics Today International Mags, I used to come home from school, grab an ETI mag, sit down and read it from cover-to-cover rather than do my homework, so this thread is taking me back to my roots.... :thumbsup

darthoverdrive
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by darthoverdrive »

I enjoy looking at the ads. Build your own amp and transistor radio kits, way cool. I don't understand the pricing though, different currencies n such.

Thanks for posting this guys, you rock! :thumbsup