First, go read GEOFEX: http://www.geofex.com

General rules and hints to succesfuly bring back that old pedal to life
R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

There are things that are not covered at GEOFEX. But not a lot.

See
- The Technology of the... series
- How to measure germanium transistors to find good ones
- The Guitar Effects FAQ
- The Tube Amp FAQ
- The Tube Amp Debugging Page
- The Guitar Effect Debugging Page
- A large assortment of hints, tips, how-tos, projects, ideas and explanations on a wide range of topics.

I find that a large portion of the beginner's questions I answer wind up being answered "go look at my web site".

http://www.geofex.com

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

The "Technology of" series is especially useful. I'd recomend everyone should read all of those! I wish there was a "Technology of the Compressor" though - It would have helped me alot over the past few months when I've been learning all the Do's and Don't's!

I am Klon.

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Perhaps, Mr Briggs, you could lash together a "Technology of Compressors" for our crew. I know you're a busy mofo, and a hella contributor compared to most. It's just that you also seem the most qualified candidate since it's fresh in your mind and your projects are so well written. You can also suggest I go piss up a rope and be well within your rights to do so. Thanks for all the great stuff you give this forum. There should have been something in your stocking this year. If not maybe next year. :wink: You the man!Image
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

briggs wrote:The "Technology of" series is especially useful. I'd recomend everyone should read all of those! I wish there was a "Technology of the Compressor" though - It would have helped me alot over the past few months when I've been learning all the Do's and Don't's!
Actually, there is about 90% of a "Tech of Compressors" there. It's in Hammer's "Technology of Envelope Filters": http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/ECFtech/ecftech.htm I believe he has an update at hammer.ampage.org .

However, between Rane's stuff on compressors and the Compander cookbook from Phillips, it's pretty much there.

Did you happen to catch those?

The big subtlety is where the envelope for the control voltage is read. If it's from the input, you get a compressor; if it's from the output, you get a harder nondistorting limiter, which is what guitarists usually want.

goaltoday
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by goaltoday »

Mr R.G, besides the great compilaton of info available on geofex (big thanks), have you ever thought about making a compilation of your post on the forums?

I know it must be like thousands of posts but such a great info.

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

I have thought of that. In fact, I spent some time trying to gather up some of my forum history at Ampage, going back about 12 years, I think. It's difficult to get that stuff all filtered out.

I have that on the list of things to do, but ... it's a big project. My current count of posts at diystompboxes is 6500, and the previous time at ampage is probably 8k-10k; don't have a good count on that one. Of course, the ones that just say "look at this link at geofex" make up a lot of the numbers.

If I could get the posts as individual files in a directory, I could probably do some quick sorting. The long posts tend to be where a lot of the content is, so a sort by size gets a lot of the useful stuff and filters out a lot of the (burp)s.

I had a guy who wanted to do this as a compendium of posts of mine, Mark Hammer's, some others, but I tend to be picky about what editing gets done to my stuff.

But I do keep thinking about it.

goaltoday
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by goaltoday »

R.G. wrote:I had a guy who wanted to do this as a compendium of posts of mine, Mark Hammer's, some others, but I tend to be picky about what editing gets done to my stuff.
Thanks for the explanation and I understand that. But if you ever want to, I'm sure lots of people would love to help you.

In many ways I feel these post (Mark Hammer's, yours and, of course, some others) like "The Great Library of Alexandria". But instead of being burned they're buried on the internet. :(

xshredx
Information

Post by xshredx »

R.G., do you think Aron would be willing to provide a backup of the diystompboxes.com database?
If yes, then I would be willing to help out with extracting the bits you need...

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

xshredx wrote:R.G., do you think Aron would be willing to provide a backup of the diystompboxes.com database?
If yes, then I would be willing to help out with extracting the bits you need...
I don't think the database is very portable. It's pretty big. It's the kind of thing where you send a physical disk or number of DVDs, not transmit across the web. And he might be justifiably nervous about rogue copies of the database.

I had previously tried extracting my posts from the search function - no dice, it only gives me about a dozen. And I also asked Aron to use the board's back end to extract them. He says he can do it, so maybe there's some good news there.

So we'll see. And thanks for your kind offer.

HNY
Information

Post by HNY »

R.G. wrote:
xshredx wrote:R.G., do you think Aron would be willing to provide a backup of the diystompboxes.com database?
I don't think the database is very portable. It's pretty big. It's the kind of thing where you send a physical disk or number of DVDs, not transmit across the web. And he might be justifiably nervous about rogue copies of the database.

I had previously tried extracting my posts from the search function - no dice, it only gives me about a dozen. And I also asked Aron to use the board's back end to extract them. He says he can do it, so maybe there's some good news there.

So we'll see. And thanks for your kind offer.
click your name (top left) in any of your posts over there:
your profile pops up.
at the bottom click:
Show the last posts of this person.
325 pages magically appear!

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

HNY wrote:click your name (top left) in any of your posts over there:
your profile pops up.
at the bottom click:
Show the last posts of this person.
325 pages magically appear!
Silly me - I was trying to use the search function instead of poking around in my profile! :lol:

I'll go look. Thanks.