Toneczar - Openhaus  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
generalkustard
Information
Completed builds: Big Muff Triangle and Ram's Head. Toneczar Openhaus 'clone'. Pearl PH01 phaser (from schematic)

Post by generalkustard »

I've got this about 98% completed now, just waiting for the LND150N3D mosfets to arrive..using 2N3819 jfets in placed of those in the meantime and it's sounding quite nice although it definitely doesn't have all the gain it should have and not as much bass as I expected either.. I'm very impressed with the quality of the distortion, the valve-like compresssion and the open sound but the problem I'm having is RF interference..it sounds like it's tuned in to a fax machine, I'm a little surprised, it's much noisier than both BMP builds I've done. :scratch:

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

This thing has plentyof gain....also, with the bass, it doesn't seem so much your typical bass control, but rather adds "sub" lows (similar to the Fullness control on the DLS MKII).
The original was fairly quiet, with only a modest amount of hiss at extreme gain settings - there's a crapload of wires, so placement of those may help.

generalkustard
Information
Completed builds: Big Muff Triangle and Ram's Head. Toneczar Openhaus 'clone'. Pearl PH01 phaser (from schematic)

Post by generalkustard »

I't's producing a lot of noise which strangely, seems to be unrelated to the gain level. There's a constant high-pitched fax machine-like tone in the high gain switch position, even when the gain is at zero. I don't see how repositioning, or shortening wires is going to make much of a difference..It's in an aluminium case from Maplin and when I touch it the earth buzz gets louder...shame. It's a great sounding pedal, otherwise. :whappen:

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Sounds like a ground connection issue then, rather than lead dress. Check and recheck all your connections, solder joints, etc.

generalkustard
Information

Post by generalkustard »

I grounded the vacant lug on the phase switch to the case and the hum problem has now gone. The whistling noise is still there but it seems to be more tolerable than before. It's not an exact clone, as you can see, I used a pair of OC141s and the case is a thin aluminium Maplin's project box which I got off ebay. I still had quite a job fitting all the wires in there so a 1590S would have been a very tight squeeze. Apologies for the poor quality cellphone pics. Thanks to abfackeln for all your hard work in cracking this pedal. :thumbsup
Attachments
Photo3706rsz.jpg
Photo3710 rsz.jpg
Photo3707rsz.jpg

generalkustard
Information

Post by generalkustard »

The depletion mode mosfets arrived this morning and the increase in gain is drastic, its balls have just doubled in size. :D

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

:thumbsup

generalkustard
Information

Post by generalkustard »

I just realized that the OPA2604AP opamps I bought off ebay are knockoffs, probably just TL072s in disguise. They don't have the circular impression at the one end which they should have and the legs are rather cheap looking with a dull finish, bummer. :slap:

generalkustard
Information

Post by generalkustard »

I'm still getting a lot of external noise coming through this pedal. Initially I thought maybe if I bought a better quality wall wart it might improve matters but now I don't think it will make any difference, the noise isn't caused by the power supply but the digital tv signal and/or wireless broadband. What can I do to lessen this noise? It's really impossible to ignore. :(

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

generalkustard wrote:I'm still getting a lot of external noise coming through this pedal. Initially I thought maybe if I bought a better quality wall wart it might improve matters but now I don't think it will make any difference, the noise isn't caused by the power supply but the digital tv signal and/or wireless broadband. What can I do to lessen this noise? It's really impossible to ignore. :(
shielded cabling?

generalkustard
Information

Post by generalkustard »

Problem fixed with a regulated power supply. :popcorn:

STRONGHOLD69
Information

Post by STRONGHOLD69 »

Hey guys, i need help! After 3 months waiting for components my build don't work =(
I'm using all the parts from list, tested hill by hill and the sound works fine after volume(by entering in volume) and works before Q6, i think the problem is on Q6(red circle) and before volume(orange circle). Can you guys check if the position of transistors are ok? And they are new(bought on mouser), i don't know what do to anymore help X.X

PS: I'm using this layout: https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... d=8037&t=1

Thank you.

indrakhila
Information

Post by indrakhila »

check the data sheet of each transistor and skewer with a schematic :mrgreen:
this is my openhaus from madbean layout

*sorry for my bad english :mrgreen:

STRONGHOLD69
Information

Post by STRONGHOLD69 »

Now its working, but really lacks gain, i'm using all the original parts. Suggestions?

Ang3lus
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ang3lus »

if all the knobs work as they should, check the transistor orientations.

check and replace them one at a time if you find a mistake.

STRONGHOLD69
Information

Post by STRONGHOLD69 »

Ang3lus wrote:if all the knobs work as they should, check the transistor orientations.

check and replace them one at a time if you find a mistake.
did i already replace them, the pedal was not working with the original transistors positions(i found it VERY strange), i had to turn most of them in 180º, madbean's layout, but i'm using the original transistors.The knobs seems fine(maybe except the gain). Thank you o/

Damas
Information

Post by Damas »

If it can help somebody, i drew Fet orientations of Orifice_ver1 PCB, my problem was here.
Look at the (Q6) 2N5457, Gate ans Source are crossed.
Now my clone works fine but it has a lot of noise for this moment.
Big thanks to Abfackeln and Kusi, you're the best :thumbsup

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: DIY Hiwatt DR504

Post by gilmour_pugliese »

BJTs and 2N5457 are OK, but the LNDs must to be 180° flipped :popcorn:

STRONGHOLD69
Information

Post by STRONGHOLD69 »

Damas wrote:If it can help somebody, i drew Fet orientations of Orifice_ver1 PCB, my problem was here.
Look at the (Q6) 2N5457, Gate ans Source are crossed.
Now my clone works fine but it has a lot of noise for this moment.
Big thanks to Abfackeln and Kusi, you're the best :thumbsup
THANK YOU A LOT BRO! I almost threw in the trash my clone but you saved it =)
Working 100% with your tips, SOUNDS GREAT! as i expected and the controls are very responsive!
18V and all original parts

Damas
Information

Post by Damas »

gilmour_pugliese wrote:BJTs and 2N5457 are OK, but the LNDs must to be 180° flipped :popcorn:
If i flip my LND150, my clone don't work 8)

@ STRONGHOLD69:
Very happy for you man :wink: