Voodoo Lab - Micro Vibe  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
swt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by swt »

i wanna say thanks to loubou and also mysticwhiskey for the schem and layout. i can confirm the layout again. Also based on mystic's layout there's some mods that can be performed. the easiest one is to put a switch instead of j5. so the unit becomes a vibrato. then replace the 2 4k7 res at oscillator for 2k2 for faster speed, and the 2m4 for 3m3 for slower speed. Also, i used a mpsa13 for the 2n3904 driver, and put a bias pot, replacing the 100k at the base for a 39k with 50k pot in series. if you check the chicken salad, is a clone of this pedal, and they used a 47k/33k divider to bias the driver. there are useful sounds available at both settings.
I wonder if the tuna melt is a clone of the voodoo lab tremolo. Anyone have the voodoolab tremolo schem or pedal to check it out?

Bobs_blues
Information

Post by Bobs_blues »

I'll second the validation on the schematic - nice work, answered some questions I had as well. My unit is at least 7 years old and has the LED. The PCB is not the red color in the earlier pics but green - though everything else appears the same.

One concern I have is that the Lamp is always pulsing - even when the device is in bypass - is there any real good explanation for this? I was surprised when doing my mods to see this and am now concerned about lamp life (because mine is already pretty old - but still hangin' in there very well). Any ideas for making the lamp transistor stay off when the pedal is off - perhaps reconnecting the lamp trim ground point to the same switched ground point where SW1/2 connects when the device is on? These two points are very close on the PCB and can be easily connected.

Also, I was wondering about trying to make the LED pulse with the rate of the pedal but am unsure about rewiring the LED to the Lamp driver collector and also the trim pot to the ground switch mentioned above.

Bob

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Bobs_blues wrote:One concern I have is that the Lamp is always pulsing - even when the device is in bypass - is there any real good explanation for this?
It's just normal. Nothing switches the LFO and driver when bypassed, the unit is always ready to vibe then...

Switching it on and off each time you bypass it may not save its lifetime. I would think a long but rather slow variation is somehow equal to straight brutal ones.

Now, would the current draw when engaged induce some kind of popping in the power line?
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Philster
Information

Post by Philster »

HI Guys
I want to build one of these but am having trouble finding the IC's - JRC062D's are not easy to find. Can you suggest a substitute?
Cheers
Philly

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Philster wrote:I want to build one of these but am having trouble finding the IC's - JRC062D's are not easy to find. Can you suggest a substitute?
You can use TL062 as well. Are these available for you?

Anyway, TL072 or TL082 are ok too.
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Philster
Information

Post by Philster »

Magic - thank you!
Philly

rootsvibes
Information

Post by rootsvibes »

Hi everybody,

As it's my first post, I take a little time to present myself to other members and to thanks them for all the knowledge the y decided to share and that i could read during this first years on the forum.
I am a total newbie in electronic but the money factor have boosted me on DIY everything possible with my very limited skills.
I've built several good sounding fuzz face clone (Si and Ge) with some tweakings , an OCD with some mods to replicate the frequencies and character of my marshall super bass crunch
i'm on a tube screamer clone withour buffers and i've done a lot of mods on all my pedals: boss CS 3, vox wah wah, boss DS 2, boss DD3, original TS9 to 808 specification + more bass mod, several rangemaster clone with Ge and Si, sho clone, katana boost clone.
I plan to do true bypass on all my boss pedal soon as I don't like boss buffer sound and can only stand the buffer from my original tube screamer as i'm used to it since many years.

For Now, I would like to put a chorus/vibrato switch on my modded micro vibe.
Could you please confirm to me that I need to wire it it from one end of R 15 and let possibilitie to switch between the original value of 47K and 33K and connect the two end of the two resistors together to the other end of the R 15 emplacement.

Thanks in advance for your advice on this.

rootsvibes
Information

Post by rootsvibes »

Need Help, please

My first post wasn't very clear.

I'm trying to localise the place to add a switch for adding vibrato mode to my micro vibe.

I saw mystic's layout and a previous post about putting a switch at J5
The problem is I have some difficulties to adapt the mod from this schematic to the micro vibe schematic or to my pedal.

I someone could be cool enough to tell me "desolder R ... and put a wire from one end to..."

After a long study of both schematics I suspect R 18 to be the place to work but as I don't want to do too much uneeded soldering I would like to have a confirmation from another forum member before trying all resistors.

Thanks in advance.

rootsvibes
Information

Post by rootsvibes »

So, I finally found the information I was searching by comparing a long time mystic's layout and micro vibe schematic.

For those who could be interested in such information.
The mod for adding vibrato switch to the micro vibe should concern R18 on the micro vibe board. You need to disconnect R 18 from R20 and R22 with a switch to let only the wet signal pass and then have vibrato mode.

If anybody confirm, I will test this tomorrow and I'll give some report when done.

swt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by swt »

yeah rootsvibe, you just need to replace the jumper with a switch for vibrato. it's not perfect, but an easy and cheap option for this great pedal.

rootsvibes
Information

Post by rootsvibes »

Thanks for your response swt

Do you mean the effect won't be the same as the vibrato mode already present on other vibe models ?

I've tried to do this mode on my small stone phaser before that but the effect wasn't very present even at full settings. Do I have to expect the same with the micro vibe ?

swt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by swt »

i did it and i liked it. it's really good to try it. but maybe depending on your tone, can get lost in the mix. try it, you won't regret it.

rootsvibes
Information

Post by rootsvibes »

Thanks swt

I'm gonna try this soon.

generalkustard
Information
Completed builds: Big Muff Triangle and Ram's Head. Toneczar Openhaus 'clone'. Pearl PH01 phaser (from schematic)

Post by generalkustard »

I would really like to build this but I'm not sure ow to wire up the pots, etc...presumably the grey points in the schematic refer to that part. Can anybody help out? :?:

jonny4rd
Information

Post by jonny4rd »

Is it possible to mod this pedal so that it is capable of "zero" speed? The Fulltone Deja Vibe is capable of this at the lowest speed setting. Any ideas?

lapsteelman
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blues Jr.
Completed builds: Most of Craig Andertons stuff, some of my own designs, Magnavibe

Post by lapsteelman »

I'm having some trouble viewing this schematic. I can download it easy enough, but it's too small to read, and when I increase the size it becomes blurry. Any Ideas on what I can do different or does anyone have it in another format?

Thanks,

Lapsteelman. (formerly fjp1975)
(Formerly fjp1975)

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

The schematic works fine for me - if you left-click on the image it links to a much larger version which isn't blurry at all.

Xabrin
Information

Post by Xabrin »

MWichni wrote:Probably there is no light shield because it is housed in a box where is dark.
Totally agree with you...
there is no light but only darkness :-)

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

hello people i have little problem.

I already used these two modes of bypass.

truebypass still is not perfect, still effect background.
I use fuzz after MicroVibe.

which link real truebypass works best?
3DPT

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

today I had a problem with two pedals.

Wolfshirt + Univibe.

same vibe off the effect of this on the bottom.

used 3PDT and I made several calls en failed.
after several attempts I gave a look at some filter pedals. and decided to put 100ohms in early 9v pedal. solved!

gets the hint