Integrated Resistor LED's

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
danny0
Information

Post by danny0 »

Any of you guys use integrated resistor led's for your indicator led's? I found these at radio shack the other day and thought I'd give it a try. It works quite well and you don't have to add a resistor in line with the led. It'll accept up to 12 volts. Seems so simple, I wonder why I don't see them on more pedal builds.

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

danny0 wrote:Seems so simple, I wonder why I don't see them on more pedal builds.
I think three reasons:

1. They're kinda tall. I used one once and if I remember it right, it wouldnt have fit in a 1590B or 1590BB depth enclosure.

2. They're kinda expensive. Not very expensive, mind you, but at $2.19 they're double the price of what I pay for an LED, fresnel and resistor. Only a dollar but it adds up.

3. Oddly, they only seem to be made by Radio Shack, which means adding another supplier to the list. Have you found any sold at mouser or digikey or the like?

danny0
Information

Post by danny0 »

The one I bought from Radio Shack was standard 5m size and fit inside the bezel nicely. In fact, if I didn't know it had an integrated resistor, I wouldn't have been able to tell it was any different from a normal led. It was more expensive however. Availability does seem to be an issue as well. A quick google search turned up a few limited results but not from the usual suppliers. I found one site that had them for about .65 a piece, and cheaper if they're ordered in bulk. I may do some more searching and if I can find a reliable vendor with a reasonable price I'll make a purchase and share my findings.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Dr Tony Balls wrote:$2.19
:shock: Most LEDs are two orders of magnitude cheaper (and so are resistors): http://www.taydaelectronics.com/leds/ro ... s/red.html
(I'm ranting about high prices again. Just an unfortunate coincidence, I promise!)
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

FiveseveN wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:$2.19
:shock: Most LEDs are two orders of magnitude cheaper (and so are resistors): http://www.taydaelectronics.com/leds/ro ... s/red.html
(I'm ranting about high prices again. Just an unfortunate coincidence, I promise!)

Yeah LEDs are an order of magnitude cheaper but you have to factor in a bezel or fresnel and the resistor. Well....i guess you dont HAVE to factor in a bezel/fresnel but to make the comparison fair you should (the RS ones do look nice and trim). So from Mouser I pay $0.88 for a fresnel, $0.11 for an LED, and $0.10 for a resistor....$1.09 when all is said and done

agoldoor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by agoldoor »

I really love the little Radio Shack integrated fresnel/LED. The main reason I like 'em is that they're really sturdy in terms of construction plus the leads are wire which makes using them braindead simple. No need to mess with glue or whatnot to get it to stay in the bezel.

That said, the only drawback I find is that they are just a shade too dim for me, and they only have them in red, green and orange. I'd love it if they had blue ones. But yeah, I use them every once in a while in a build.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Dr Tony Balls wrote:from Mouser I pay $0.88 for a fresnel, $0.11 for an LED, and $0.10 for a resistor....$1.09 when all is said and done
$0.17 metal or $0.04 plastic bezel + $0.02 LED + $0.01 resistor = $0.20 or $0.07. Local prices are about the same (including VAT).
Mouser has a whole bunch of mounts and fresnels so you could probably get in the same neighbourhood. Not a great expense but there's no reason to pay 10 or 30 times as much, especially when you're buying in numbers.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

True im probably paying less because of bulk buying but it was just a comparison point. And I quit using bezels a while ago. Fresnels look cleaner.

PedroPerez
Information

Post by PedroPerez »

danny0 wrote:Any of you guys use integrated resistor led's for your indicator led's? I found these at radio shack the other day and thought I'd give it a try. It works quite well and you don't have to add a resistor in line with the led. It'll accept up to 12 volts. Seems so simple, I wonder why I don't see them on more pedal builds.
hello friend were you able to find integrated resistors.. Even I am searching for these resistors so please help me with some useful information..

PedroPerez
Information

Post by PedroPerez »

PedroPerez wrote:
danny0 wrote:Any of you guys use integrated resistor led's for your indicator led lights? I found these at radio shack the other day and thought I'd give it a try. It works quite well and you don't have to add a resistor in line with the led. It'll accept up to 12 volts. Seems so simple, I wonder why I don't see them on more pedal builds.
hello friend were you able to find integrated resistors.. Even I am searching for these resistors so please help me with some useful information..