Catalinbread - Echorec

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

coldcraft wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:
I would have to trace where the pads go then make up a suitable cable for a Pickit2 programmer, (not all 5 connection will need to be used) but like I say I would need to trace the connections out properly. For 5 pin header check my pcb board a few posts up.

EDIT - (oops it's not a few posts up its in a different thread on a different forum about FV-1) http://www.circuitworkshop.com
maybe (in another thread?) you might share what yhou know about this Pickit2 programmer? It's new to me so I'm a little lost.
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... e=en023805

Interface for programming PIC microcontrollers and Micropchip EEPROM. Take a look at the datasheet for all the info you'd ever need. New version 3 is out now though, so you might want to start there.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

mmolteratx wrote:
coldcraft wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:
I would have to trace where the pads go then make up a suitable cable for a Pickit2 programmer, (not all 5 connection will need to be used) but like I say I would need to trace the connections out properly. For 5 pin header check my pcb board a few posts up.

EDIT - (oops it's not a few posts up its in a different thread on a different forum about FV-1) http://www.circuitworkshop.com
maybe (in another thread?) you might share what yhou know about this Pickit2 programmer? It's new to me so I'm a little lost.

Interface for programming PIC microcontrollers and Micropchip EEPROM. Take a look at the datasheet for all the info you'd ever need. New version 3 is out now though, so you might want to start there.
The pickt3 cant program the Eeproms, for some reason Microchip removed this capability from Pickit3.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Ice-9 wrote:
mmolteratx wrote:
coldcraft wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:

The pickt3 cant program the Eeproms, for some reason Microchip removed this capability from Pickit3.
WTF? Glad I haven't dumped my 2 yet. :lol:

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Here is a pcb picture and a 1st draft schematic, No Fv-1 part as it is datasheet stuff and patch selection is via pic chip , I can't post eeprom or pic code as it has to be respected as ip.

i90.photobucket.com/albums/k243/lenny1dog/IMG_0081_zps05890b69.jpg
i90.photobucket.com/albums/k243/lenny1dog/IMG_0105_zps956798a5.jpg
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

loylo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by loylo »

Thank you so much for this great job! :applause:

Despite english is not my mother tongue, I assume IP stands for Intellectual Propriety (sorry if I am wrong).
I highly respect your decision to not disclose the code, but I just can't understand the rules on FSB on why things can be disclosed "for educationnal purpose or whatever" and some cannot for IP.
Sorry if I bring back an old discussion, and I sure don't mean to be a pain in the butt.

I've wanted to learn about DSP and programming for a while (I've learned basic knowledge during my engineering studies). It may be a nice opportunity to begin as I also have 2 original Echorecs, 1 solidstate PE603 and tube Echorec2, that I'd like to retire. Those things are wearing out!

loylo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by loylo »

I also have a question. Where is the tone control, I can't find it on your schematic? Is it within the FV-1 circuitry?
According to the catalinbread manual, it is a "tilt" style ton control.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

loylo wrote:I also have a question. Where is the tone control, I can't find it on your schematic? Is it within the FV-1 circuitry?
According to the catalinbread manual, it is a "tilt" style ton control.
Yes the tone control is taking care of by the FV-1 chip.

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

Not familiar with fv-1 code but isn't it protected?

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

mrkaploca wrote:Not familiar with fv-1 code but isn't it protected?
Programs are loaded to the FV-1 via an external Eeprom, so to develop your own effects all you need is the datasheet and language from the Spin site. There is lots of info there to learn the coding. As for the code in the echorec I have no intention of reading it, I was just more interested in the electronics of the unit.

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

The input stage is the main "reveal" in this case. There's your secret fuzz mode. :applause:

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

Ice-9 wrote:
mrkaploca wrote:Not familiar with fv-1 code but isn't it protected?
Programs are loaded to the FV-1 via an external Eeprom, so to develop your own effects all you need is the datasheet and language from the Spin site. There is lots of info there to learn the coding. As for the code in the echorec I have no intention of reading it, I was just more interested in the electronics of the unit.
I know the code is in external EEPROM, but I believe it is protected... The whole magic in this circuitry is in the code. :wink:
:thumbsup for contribution!

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

that preamp looks very similar to whats in the Way Huge Pork Loin, except they're using 2n7000 it looks like.
Last edited by coldcraft on 04 Mar 2013, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

skywise
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by skywise »

mrkaploca wrote:I know the code is in external EEPROM, but I believe it is protected...
It might be. But it's not required. You can load straight code to the EEPROM if you want.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

coldcraft wrote:that preamp looks very similar to whats in the Way Huge Pork Loin, except they're using 2n7000 it looks like.
No, I was wrong. The 2n7000 are used with the EEPROMS, the preamps is transistors, same like the Pork Loin. Not sure what its originally from though.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

coldcraft wrote:
coldcraft wrote:that preamp looks very similar to whats in the Way Huge Pork Loin, except they're using 2n7000 it looks like.
No, I was wrong. The 2n7000 are used with the EEPROMS, the preamps is transistors, same like the Pork Loin. Not sure what its originally from though.
Yes the 2n7000's are used to switch Eeproms. The buffer transistors are 2n2222a.

@mrkaploca It's not possible to read protect the 24lc32a Eeproms, but reading the code from an Eeprom is of no use for study, only useful if you just want to flash it to another pedal.

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

Ice-9 wrote: Programs are loaded to the FV-1 via an external Eeprom, so to develop your own effects all you need is the datasheet and language from the Spin site. There is lots of info there to learn the coding. As for the code in the echorec I have no intention of reading it, I was just more interested in the electronics of the unit.
Its that easy.
:lol:
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Jack Deville wrote:
Ice-9 wrote: Programs are loaded to the FV-1 via an external Eeprom, so to develop your own effects all you need is the datasheet and language from the Spin site. There is lots of info there to learn the coding. As for the code in the echorec I have no intention of reading it, I was just more interested in the electronics of the unit.
Its that easy.
:lol:

Indeed Jack, and I would never give out anyone elses eeprom data, I have the datasheets and the spin asm stuff and although it is big learning curve (for me) it is low count the instruction set so should be quite easy to learn. :scratch: (the basics anyway)
All credit to Kieth Barr on this chip, it is a shame he is not here anymore to bring more of his huge knowledge to the music scene.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

i think its interested to take notice of how the FV-1 inputs are being used, with the feedback around channel 2. I wonder why they did that.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

Is the sway control a dual gang pot? On the board it looks like its both a regen and a fv-1 pot. Cool idea.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

coldcraft wrote:Is the sway control a dual gang pot? On the board it looks like its both a regen and a fv-1 pot. Cool idea.
No the sway pot is single gang. The pot position just below it is not used, it goes to the FV-1 and is the modulation pot which is controlled by an internal preset.