EHX - Echoflanger  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Stasss
Information

Post by Stasss »

Hallo everybody!I ask to forgive me for bad English, I from Russia, Moscow.I recently completed building of Echoflanger on the chart of Paul Nelson on MN3007.Now busy at her adjusting.I am very thankful Paul for excellent work!In a chart there are some inaccuracies and errors : 1--С50,is wrong connected it is necessary to connect on pin1 IC10. 2--I deleted from the chart of R35 and R36, when they are, Vbias2 works uncorrectly.3--Signal of direct on pin1 IC9A is inverted.An entrance cascade is done on ordinary, uninverted.4--С3 in VCO substituting by 22pF.Filters on IC9B and IC7B really identical.Why does not С36 and С24 coihttp://translate.ua/ncide face value and what value he must be?Regulation of TUNE and WIDTH in some positions is improper, tuning is required.Thereon while all.Successes to build correct Echoflanger All!!!!

sodapep2
Information

Post by sodapep2 »

Nice debugging! Thanks for the information. Do you have an updated schematic? Also, do you have any sound clips you could do? I'd love to hear yours!

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

Quite a while back, I built Nelson's Echoflanger and did quite a few mods and corrections to his layout and schematic. I sent him the updates but, I do not think he ever posted them to his site. If anyone is interested, I can send the updated parts layout and values to them.

The parts layout Nelson has now IS INCORRECT as there are incorrect parts values on it although, the traces are correct and I can attest to the trace layouts working.

Stasss
Information

Post by Stasss »

Now create a sound not possible, they will pozzhe.Devays in the process of setting and still have thought something mod.Chorus / Slapback working properly. Flanger mode, there is a problem with feedback. IC6A has aroused. These problems must be solved. Can not find anywhere a variable resistor 2M. Can somehow change the oscillator circuit?

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

Stasss wrote:Now create a sound not possible, they will pozzhe.Devays in the process of setting and still have thought something mod.Chorus / Slapback working properly. Flanger mode, there is a problem with feedback. IC6A has aroused. These problems must be solved. Can not find anywhere a variable resistor 2M. Can somehow change the oscillator circuit?
Stasss,

Change the 50uF cpapcitors next to the LM324 and make them both 100uF. Then, you can use a 1M Reverse Log pot and it will sound the same :applause:

Keep in mind that this is a mod so you can use the easier to find 1M Reverse Log pot. There are other parts values on that layout that are wrong. I can send you the corrected and verified parts layout on Monday if you want it.

Stasss
Information

Post by Stasss »

Govmnt Lacky,

Thank you so much for advice!Today I will try how you wrote.
...I this project and his tuning engage in how hardly not half of year.Many forces, time and nerves it is expended in this "monster".
A great deal cleared up, but I suspect that it yet not all.I will be to you very thankful for given help to me.With impatience
I will wait Your letter on Monday.This will be one of the luckiest days in my life! With kind regards to you---Stasss. :)

sodapep2
Information

Post by sodapep2 »

Govmnt, do your mods pertain to the MN3007 retrofit as well? That is what Stasss is currently making. If so, I'll take them as well! Thank you.

Stasss
Information

Post by Stasss »

Govmnt Lacky,

Would you be so kind, if there will be spare time, deport please adding to Echoflanger.C I will wait impatience.A holiday is so desirable!!!

Govmnt_Lacky
Information

Post by Govmnt_Lacky »

@sodapep

The mods I described with regards to the LFO cap and pot changes as well as the other component corrections were done on the SAD1024 version. IF you are using the same LFO setup for the MN3007 version than it should still apply. As for the other component changes, I do not know if those are still applicable with the BBD changes.

@Stasss

Could you try to explain what it is that you want? I am having a hard time understanding what you are asking for. Do you want the updated changes to Nelson's parts layout? If so, PM your email and I will send it :thumbsup

Stasss
Information

Post by Stasss »

Govmnt Lacky,

В своем послании, вы написали: " есть и другие части ценности, на то, что обстановка, что не правы. Я хотел бы знать, что другие элементы схемы, является ошибочным. Пожалуйста, пришлите обновление изменений, что Нельсон Части макета. Еще разi извините за плохой английский. PM мой электронный адресi
info_stas_ru@mail.ru

Stasss
Information

Post by Stasss »

[quote="Stasss"]Govmnt Lacky,

In his message, you wrote: There are other parts values ​​on that layout that are wrong. I would like to know what other elements of schemes is incorrect. Please send updated changes that Nelson Parts layout. Once again, sorry for the bad english. PM my email:
info_stas_ru@mail.ru

Stasss
Information

Post by Stasss »

Govmnt Lacky, thank you very much for your help! Changes in the LFO-tempting it will work correctly? Rest all the amendments in the document have been made to the scheme, Paul Nelson on MN3007 (attachment of Nelson on page 5.) Very good quality PCB, you sent me, very convenient to compare the values ​​of the elements. During the configuration process I have accumulated a few questionsfor those to whom it is interes.1-- With the shift to MN3007 need to increase the clock frequency by half. How will this VCO at frequencies? Which frequency range Ehoflanger VCO should be SAD1024? It is very important for proper operation MN3007.2---- I do not understand: the filters and IC9B IC7B really identical. What is C24 and C36 have different values​​? What should they be?As an experiment connected C29 (0.1 uF) to the output filter (IC pin7 9B). Feedback to work much better.
I do not like the jump work trimmer NULL output IC 11.Trimmer serviceable verified.
Clean the mixer and the delayed signals on a chip IC 6A - great idea. I have it working properly, signal distortion and needs some work. Mixer to use temporary passivationfrom the old scheme.
Govmnt Lacky, once again many thanks!

sodapep2
Information

Post by sodapep2 »

Stasss, sounds like you are making some headway! Is there any chance you could post an updated schematic with your changes highlighted? It's a little hard to follow your thoughts with the language barrier.

Stasss
Information

Post by Stasss »

sodapep2,

My Echoflanger mode adjusting.Yet problems.I necessarily shared with you on additions and changes in the timing Nelson -. MN3007 Perhaps it will be a list of changes or chart areas, as amended. For discussion! Your opinion is very important to me, all who build Echoflanger. See you soon! :cheers

Stasss
Information

Post by Stasss »

Hello!

I will be glad to acquaint you with my minor amendments to the scheme of Echoflanger Paul Nelson version MN3007.Я not an expert when it comes to this. There are people far more qualified to do this work. Once again sorry for the bad English. I will try, so that everything was clear. All that is presented,may contain inaccuracies and mistakes correct me, please, and let me know. All that is-Echoflanger that should work and sound! So, let's begin:

Errors in the scheme----1)С50-incorrectly connected---it is necessary to Pin1 IC10.
2)R35, R36-delete,remove it. When R36,R35 in the scheme is set VBIAS 2 is not working correctly. 3) C 24,С36 should have the same value.(My opinion). What values? I have installed 2700pF.

Changes and additions: 1) LFO--potentiometer RATE has the meaning 1Mom Log, C6,C7=2x100mF. Special thanks to Govmnt Lacky. 2) the output Signal IC9A (direct) reversed in phase with the input. This is not good! The information here: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... c=36654.40 Thank dj death! 3) To obtain the desired time delay when working MN3007----C3=10-22pF. C11-- pick up experimentally. Change the values in the VCO---R18=33Kom;R17=1,2Mom;R16=62Kom;R19=10Kom;C10=1mF (tantal) trimmer CLOCK=25Kom+R=3,9Kom. :applause: :horsey: :applause:

Stasss
Information

Post by Stasss »

Hello!

I am glad to inform you about one more amendment. Very bad Ehoflanger adjustment mode FLANGE. However, after a lot of effort "the plane landed!" It's very simple. Capacitor C3 = 22 pF (VCO); capacitor C29 (0.1 mf) must be disconnected from the output of NE570. The next stage --- C29 connected to Pin7 IC9B (output filter). FLANGE sounded great! FEEDBACK is now working properly! :cheers

mean_dorris
Information

Post by mean_dorris »

sodapep2 wrote:(apologies for the big pics, but you get the idea.)

Fab'd image (purple :shock: )
[ Image ]
Need to work on the silkscreen a little, but thar she blows. Would be sick with the DMM I'm working on.
This looks killer! Will there be a bunch of them made? If so, I am totally in. I've been wanting this pedal foreverrrrr <3

sadrew
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sadrew »

I just scored an original echo flanger for a bargain.

It's not working at the moment but I hope to fix it.

For starters The rotary switch is broken and needs replacement.

The common lorlin type won't fit there, actually the switch is a strange type i've never seen before.

Here you have a picture to get an idea.

https://s243.photobucket.com/user/sarat ... 7.jpg.html

Anybody knows where to find a replacement? I checked from the usual suppliers but found nothing.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Are you sure it's broken? I thought the same about the switch in my EF (2 halves come apart) but it was very decently working once the PCB was mounted in the case.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

sadrew wrote:I just scored an original echo flanger for a bargain.

It's not working at the moment but I hope to fix it.

For starters The rotary switch is broken and needs replacement.

The common lorlin type won't fit there, actually the switch is a strange type i've never seen before.

Here you have a picture to get an idea.

https://s243.photobucket.com/user/sarat ... 7.jpg.html

Anybody knows where to find a replacement? I checked from the usual suppliers but found nothing.
Just hardwire another switch in. Those PC-mount ones always break.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs