Catalinbread - Dirty Little Secret  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

I can't wait until ATT stops blocking FSB. The resolution is actually fine if you click on the picture to zoom in, or download it and view it on your computer. the schematic is waaaay big. I didn't want to link it because it would make the webpage's formatting all messed up.

Here's the files in 300dpi, including the transfer. I'm too lazy to etch these days, just get everything fabbed. So if anyone wants to verify, that'd be great haha. Wait, does it still need to be mirrored? I dunno. Whatever haha.
It's mirrored already, just make to print at 300dpi to get the right scale.

for a big PNG
https://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p31 ... atic-9.png
or here's a PDF
http://www.filedropper.com/schematic
Sorry, can't upload files on here through the proxy I'm using, it seems. If a mod wants to help out and attach anything, that'd be great.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Thanks Azrael, I have just traced out your layout and everything checks out correct to the schematic posted earlier. I might have to build this and sell my original.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

giglawyer
Information

Post by giglawyer »

What mods would have to be done to this to build it in Super Bass Mode?

EddieM117
Information

Post by EddieM117 »

Vero Layout, anyone?

Thanks!!!

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I've done the switches individually and added the charge pump and 9V/18V switch. I noted the original JFET but have done the layout with the type we commonly use in mind and with a DSG pinout. If you do want to use the original then check the pinouts.

[updated below]
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Just noticed a little error, I had the 100K from Q3 drain instead of Q4 source. JFET numbering got to me, which is exactly the same mistake I made at first with the MkI! :mrgreen:
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Tone stack lug numbering corrected, and now verified by ShortScaleMike. Thanks Mike!

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

You rock IvIark!

HHR18
Information

Post by HHR18 »

IvIark wrote:I've done the switches individually and added the charge pump and 9V/18V switch. I noted the original JFET but have done the layout with the type we commonly use in mind and with a DSG pinout. If you do want to use the original then check the pinouts.

[updated below]
Thanks so much for the vero! Don't the MPF4393 have the same pinout as the 2N5457?
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/2N5457-D.PDF
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MPF4392-D.PDF

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes looks like the same orientation too.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

If you want to use 2n5457's you will need to mess with the bias though.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Someone on my blog tried a few and ended up with 2N5457s. I don't know whether using the fets in this kind of muamp configuration makes them less sensitive to bias problems :?:

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

FWIW I used J201s in mine and it sounds pretty good, not splatty or anything.

I have an original and once I've boxed mine I'll do some A/B'ing. it's alittle tricky with flying leads on the board and pots connected via breadboard :)

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

IvIark wrote:Someone on my blog tried a few and ended up with 2N5457s. I don't know whether using the fets in this kind of muamp configuration makes them less sensitive to bias problems :?:
Yeah it should be pretty close as the SRPP and Mu configs sort of take care of biasing, what I meant to type was that to get the sound as close as possible it might need the source resistors altering adjusting the gain of the stages. (not bias, sorry)

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Could someone do a comparison between 9 and 18V supply, please? Maybe a demo?

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Everyone uses the resistor values that pietro_moog "measured". I still doubt some of those values - read p. 17 carefully!!!

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

I fixed the 560/820 resistors as roseblood mentioned.

I am using 2n5457s in mine but J201s also sound good.

At rehearsal last night I sat down with my original and my clone as built with Mark's layout and could get the clone to sound exactly the same as the original with my favourite settings I'd dialed in on it.
Plus I have the option of 18V which I think really gets the most of the Super Bass mode, and additionally helps when you're downtuning in the Super Lead mode.

A great original pedal and a great clone also. I'm very happy. My build stayed at my rehearsal space.

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

I love running a preamp pedal like this into a ROG Grace overdrive (for poweramp response) and a ROG condor cabinet emulator for an alternative amp sound into the PA. Gets me about 90% there without hearing damage. And that is getting to be a vital concern for us all.
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

mganzer
Information

Post by mganzer »

After some ajustments (of spacement) here it go. Working and verified.
Attachments
DLSmk3Vfsb.pdf
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 775 times

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Catalinbread DLS MkIIIl.gif
Another vero layout...

This is NOT VERIFIED[/color][/b] - can somebody please check it ?
It's based on mmolteratx schematic (see p. 17), I used the same parts numbers. The only changes are the values of R3 (1k instead of 820R) and R9 (680R instead of 560R).

This will fit into a 1590B placed horizontal.
Signal goes from right to left because of the strange signal flow on my pedal board...
I omitted a protection diode and a power supply filter cap because they will be placed on a separate voltage doubler board.