Catalinbread - Octapussy

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

Anybody have good gutshots with compoments, schematics?

brwifrbo
Information

Post by brwifrbo »

I've just picked one up today. I'll try n get some pics up sometime today if your still interested in seeing what's inside

brwifrbo
Information

Post by brwifrbo »

Pots are- gain- C5k, attn- B500k, body- A500k
Transistors 1,2,3- 2n222
2 diodes look like 1N914
47pf on Q1's base and collector

Not sure how to upload photos with iPhone. If someone's willing to submit an email I send em there.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

brwifrbo wrote:Pots are- gain- C5k, attn- B500k, body- A500k
Transistors 1,2,3- 2n222
2 diodes look like 1N914
47pf on Q1's base and collector

Not sure how to upload photos with iPhone. If someone's willing to submit an email I send em there.
Many thanks for this.

I think you need to have made 5 posts to upload, just post a couple of nonsense threads in the "testing" forum and try again. If that doesn't work, I've PM'd you my email. BTW, are you sure about the transistor code? 2N2222 are more common - off the top of my head, I think 2N222 are Ge.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

brwifrbo
Information

Post by brwifrbo »

Sorry mate, the transistors are indeed 2n2222A. Ill try n post a coupla nonsense posts n upload some pics. If all fails ill mail em to ya

brwifrbo
Information

Post by brwifrbo »

A few shots. Hopefully they came out alright. One of the nicest sounding octaves I've tried, extremely dynamic too
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

brwifrbo
Information

Post by brwifrbo »

And some more
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

brwifrbo
Information

Post by brwifrbo »

I'll try n draw up a mud map of the board and components over the weekend while ive got it out the enclosure if anyone's interested. My schematic drawing skills are a bit shithouse

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

brwifrbo wrote:I'll try n draw up a mud map of the board and components over the weekend while ive got it out the enclosure if anyone's interested. My schematic drawing skills are a bit shithouse
I'd be very interested! Any scribblings or information about the circuit you can provide can be put together by others on here.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

brwifrbo wrote:I'll try n draw up a mud map of the board and components over the weekend while ive got it out the enclosure if anyone's interested. My schematic drawing skills are a bit shithouse
Any progress?

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

azrael wrote:
Any progress?
Me too!! I´M TUNED!!!!!

mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Been on Bogner for quite some time now.
Completed builds: Over 1000 and counting.

Post by mirosol »

Those photos are otherwise good, but i can't make anything out of the traces due to lack of light. I'm definitely interested in seeing a schem for this...
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/
"No such thing as innocence" -Iron Chic

swt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by swt »

bumping an old thread to see if someone has more info...

Dingleberry
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Dingleberry »

Just determining from the photos and parts count it looks to me that this pedal follows the transformerless octavia topology.
I see only 3 transistors so probably the output buffer has been left out and since all are NPN the first transistor section is different.
Simplify before you amplify.

voider
Information

Post by voider »

I'm new to forum, due to my specific interest in building an Octapussy clone. I'm no electrical engineer, but have decent experience as an electronics hobbyist. I think I'm pretty close to getting the Octapussy circuit layout mapped from the posted pics above (BIG THANKS to brwifrbo for posting these!!!). I've attached a pic of my work thus far (hopefully my attachment works in my first post).

If anyone is still interested in helping crack the Octapussy code, I've reached a point where I need a few more detailed pics (better lighting, focus and coverage of all the leads on the board) to see the whole of what's going on. Some specific problem spots are, the leads around the capacitors in the lower left of the board, the leads coming off the upper right corner transistor, and the leads around the LED and the caps at the right side of the board. If someone can take some more detailed pics, I'll be happy to complete mapping the circuit and draw up a nice schematic to share with the community (to the best of my ability).

Also, if someone can determine specific capacitor values for the board or take pics of the capacitor labels so I can determine these, that would help greatly.

Thanks and cheers to DIY!
Attachments
catalinbread_octapussy_circuit_work_in_progress.png

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

voider wrote:I'm new to forum, due to my specific interest in building an Octapussy clone. I'm no electrical engineer, but have decent experience as an electronics hobbyist. I think I'm pretty close to getting the Octapussy circuit layout mapped from the posted pics above (BIG THANKS to brwifrbo for posting these!!!). I've attached a pic of my work thus far (hopefully my attachment works in my first post).

If anyone is still interested in helping crack the Octapussy code, I've reached a point where I need a few more detailed pics (better lighting, focus and coverage of all the leads on the board) to see the whole of what's going on. Some specific problem spots are, the leads around the capacitors in the lower left of the board, the leads coming off the upper right corner transistor, and the leads around the LED and the caps at the right side of the board. If someone can take some more detailed pics, I'll be happy to complete mapping the circuit and draw up a nice schematic to share with the community (to the best of my ability).

Also, if someone can determine specific capacitor values for the board or take pics of the capacitor labels so I can determine these, that would help greatly.

Thanks and cheers to DIY!
In fact, not so many octa fuzov was created, as a rule the schemes of most boutiques come from Roger Mayer Octavia and Foxx Tone Machine
The diagrams are presented below.
Try the existing drawing to translate into a diagram and the picture will become much clearer :thumbsup

voider
Information

Post by voider »

Thanks for the info, POTL! I may try breadboarding a FOXX and comparing its schematic to what I've got on the Octapussy so far.

Would still like to see direct info on the Octapussy, though. I really like how Catalinbread dialed the sound of this one.

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

voider wrote:Thanks for the info, POTL! I may try breadboarding a FOXX and comparing its schematic to what I've got on the Octapussy so far.

Would still like to see direct info on the Octapussy, though. I really like how Catalinbread dialed the sound of this one.
The description on the Catalinbread website says that this is a unique scheme, but still gives a reference to Octavia;)
In fact, you have 3 ways
1) Buy a pedal and remove the circuit (expensive)
2) Waiting for someone to post a photo of the filling (you can wait and miss for a long time)
3) Translate what you have time to remove in the circuit, so it will be easier to think

I recommend to draw a diagram in the form in which you managed to read it and indicate which parts were not connected
I am 90% sure that this way you will get an answer much faster!

EmmG
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by EmmG »

Like the Octavia, both diode's cathodes are connected on the Octo's layout drawing. It has one less transistor, Maybe it's the makeup stage?

Dingleberry
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Dingleberry »

Didn't have time to start tracing this yet, but this should help a bit if someone has time before I get into it.
Attachments
octapussy.jpg
Simplify before you amplify.