Paul Cochrane - Timmy  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

Nocentelli wrote:No, hang on, that means I've done it right: I assume the wiring goes vref->bass pot->cap positive->cap neg to 3k3, whereas the schem show the cap from vref. Should make no odds. Should stop talking to myself.
But vref goes to capacitors - 1u and 39n, not to bass pot.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

beedotman wrote: ....looks like minus goes to 3k3 resistor.
What I meant was, in the original timmy (on the schematics i have seen) the larger cap does not connect directly to the 3k3 resistor.

This is how i have it wired now:
timmy snippet.JPG
timmy snippet.JPG (15.78 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

Instead of VREF go to ground with both caps, positive side to the bass pot. That way you have a proper polarization voltage across the cap and it will live happily ever after.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

What's the benefit of using vref as per the original?
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

None really.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

marshmellow wrote:Instead of VREF go to ground with both caps, positive side to the bass pot. That way you have a proper polarization voltage across the cap and it will live happily ever after.
Just tried this - Horrible, gated and broken sounding.... :hmmm:

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

That's what it is supposed to look like. If that gives your problems, there is something wrong with your build somewhere.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Thanks for the help on this. It's on the breadboard at the moment: When those caps are connected to vref, it sounds exactly like it should do (i've built a few Timmys before now). When I disconnect the wire from vref to caps and connect to ground instead, I get the horrible, broken, gated sound. I've checked it several times, and I am 99% sure i am doing it exactly as you suggest. I am simply moving one wire from vref to ground. If someone else could check this, I would be grateful to find out that I have not gone mad.

wior
Information

Post by wior »

rocklander wrote:there's been a few mentions of various layouts and stripboards, but I couldn't decipher which (if any) are verified.
I understand the asking price of this pedal is insanely fair, but a mate has asked me to house one of these with a DLS in the same enclosure so I have whacked together a layout... I am pretty sure it's right, but it'd be great if someone else to look it over cos we can all get a bit blinded when we're too close to something y'know?

here 'tis - any mistakes you can see?
Sorry for digging this up, but this is the only non-vero layout I've found for Timmy.
Imho there should be no joint between 3k3 resistor and 4148 diode (theyre only both joined/connected to ground) according to this:
http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2008 ... drive.html
for some people it might be obious, but actually after printing these 2 elements are joined by thin line.

I'm not good at electronics so I might be wrong.
Attachments
Pay attention to X mark - these should not be joined.
Pay attention to X mark - these should not be joined.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

I think you're right.. I need to redo the layout to reflect that.. thanks heaps :thumbsup
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

still unverified.. but here's an update.
layout1.10-rocklander2013(c).jpg
pcb1.10-rocklander2013.jpg

destro
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey Classic Series

Post by destro »

wior wrote:
rocklander wrote:there's been a few mentions of various layouts and stripboards, but I couldn't decipher which (if any) are verified.
I understand the asking price of this pedal is insanely fair, but a mate has asked me to house one of these with a DLS in the same enclosure so I have whacked together a layout... I am pretty sure it's right, but it'd be great if someone else to look it over cos we can all get a bit blinded when we're too close to something y'know?

Sorry for digging this up, but this is the only non-vero layout I've found for Timmy.
Imho there should be no joint between 3k3 resistor and 4148 diode (theyre only both joined/connected to ground) according to this:
for some people it might be obious, but actually after printing these 2 elements are joined by thin line.

destro
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey Classic Series

Post by destro »

I was just about to build this up using that layout. Thanks for the heads up! Saved me time debugging!! Pkease report if you come across any other errors with that layout!
wior wrote:

Nefi_fatobene
Information

Post by Nefi_fatobene »

rocklander wrote:still unverified.. but here's an update.

I think the value of the cap is 47n, instead 4n7, right?

I intend build with layout...

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

yes.. thanks.. my brain was tired and when I read 472 I interpreted that as 4n7, not 47n as you've correctly pointed out.. will amend when I get home from work and have a chance.. :oops:

Nefi_fatobene
Information

Post by Nefi_fatobene »

rocklander wrote:yes.. thanks.. my brain was tired and when I read 472 I interpreted that as 4n7, not 47n as you've correctly pointed out.. will amend when I get home from work and have a chance.. :oops:
No problem... I imagine how you was tired... But your layout is great!
I think tomorrow I´ll build it.

Do you test it in eagle or other program?

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

no sorry.. I just use expressPCB.. and I forgot to look at it last night to fix.. might see if I can 'fudge' it here at work..

[edit].. have updated it in the jpg... thanks :-) [/edit]

wior
Information

Post by wior »

Sorry for late response. The schematic I've commented is working, it is quite nice, but to be honest even with bass control I like OCD-like pedals more (more low-end thump). Maybe that's just me. Anyway I still like it more than many pedal clones, because it works quite nice as a already-overdriven-amp booster (many pedals have problem with that).

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

attached the expresspcb file in case anyone wants to mess with it.
Attachments
timmy-rocky1.1.zip
(10.39 KiB) Downloaded 517 times

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

Of all the overdrive and distortion I had in my life (many), the Timmy is the most useful and beautiful, killer tone, killer construction. Coupled with a OCD and a AMZ miniboost, this is the best pedal rig I've ever had so far regarding distortion.
I originally made a clone, then I bought an original one: that's my way to thank Paul, I hope someone will do the same