Is what I want to build even possible?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
Dan C
Information

Post by Dan C »

So this is my first post... that considered I don't really know if this thread belongs here or in the Switching & Wiring section.

I want to build a 2 in 1 pedal, one side a SHO Clone Boost... and I'm afraid that's the easy simple bit over and done with.

Then there's a 2 way toggle to switch between this SHO Clone, and a pre-amp/boost. I made a flow chart below to illustrate how I ideally would like this pedal to work and have also attached a photo shop mock up to add a sense of realism to the project. I assume the switch is a 3PDT but if it is something else let me know! Thats just the switch I know is used in pedals. The toggle would act as like a channel switch between the SHO and the Pre.

Thanks to any who can shed light on this, I can build them both separately but really want to figure out if I can integrate them in one pedals as an either or (SHO OR Pre w/Boost)
Flow.JPG
ABM.jpg

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

If I am understanding what you're wanting then this is what I have pictured:

Normal foot switch wiring...input from jack, LED, output to jack, power, etc.
Only thing different is the foot switch wiring that normally goes to the
circuit board's input and output. These two wires would go the the center
poles of a DPDT switch (3PDT if you want LEDs for each effect). Then wire
the input and outputs of one circuit to their proper place on one end of the
DPDT switch, and then the same with the other circuit on the opposite end
of the switch......inputs on one side.....outputs on the other. This seems to
be what you saying, if I understand correctly.

Also, with a little larger case, you could wire two complete circuits, each with
a separate foot switch. Each would be true bypass. This would allow you to
chose either one, or none.....OR BOTH. You would just have to decide on the
circuit order before wiring. You may not wish this for this pedal, but is very
viable if you wish to combine circuits into one box....or make your own
"professional pedalboard".
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

Dan C
Information

Post by Dan C »

You wouldn't happen to have a diagram of this wiring would you? Having never wired a 3DPT I know what you are saying but cant imagine it on a physical switch.

Would it be possible to wire them to the same LED if I wanted to? Haven't decided whether I want a second LED to be used to differentiate between the circuits. Had another thought as per LEDs... Could I have one dedicated to the Toggle to show when the pre amp is on and one dedicated to the switch to show when the boost from either circuit is active?

Thanks for the help so far.

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

Check out these sites, they have better illustrations than I can give you:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/tec ... hing-links

http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

On Madbean's page....about halfway down on the right look for:
"New standardized wiring diagram available. Download the .pdf file here"

There are several methods of wiring the switch.....they are all similar. Just about everyone that sells project boards
has their way of wiring the foot switch.
–Hunter S. Thompson

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

About the LEDs. I was assuming you wanted an LED to let you know that the stompswitch was activated (ON).
I thought you may want a couple more wired by the "selector" switch to know at a glance which circuit was active.
This part could actually be done with one bi-colored LED that just changes color according to which way the select
switch is applied. There is no one way to do anything.
–Hunter S. Thompson

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

You want a Pre-amp AND a Boost - but a Pre-amp IS a boost (or it can be if you set the gain high enough).

So why not just have the one circuit, with two different gain settings ? You could have your footswitch to engage the circuit, and the toggle to select the levels. No need to overcomplicate things.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

Dan C
Information

Post by Dan C »

PokeyPete wrote:Check out these sites, they have better illustrations than I can give you:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/tec ... hing-links

http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

On Madbean's page....about halfway down on the right look for:
"New standardized wiring diagram available. Download the .pdf file here"

There are several methods of wiring the switch.....they are all similar. Just about everyone that sells project boards
has their way of wiring the foot switch.
PokeyPete wrote:About the LEDs. I was assuming you wanted an LED to let you know that the stompswitch was activated (ON).
I thought you may want a couple more wired by the "selector" switch to know at a glance which circuit was active.
This part could actually be done with one bi-colored LED that just changes colour according to which way the select
switch is applied. There is no one way to do anything.
Thanks for those links, I'll check them out. Yeah Ideally I'd want 1 LED for the stomp switch and one for the toggle... not sure if I'd need it to be bi-coloured. (no led could essentially be the other colour if you get what I mean).
Lucifer wrote:You want a Pre-amp AND a Boost - but a Pre-amp IS a boost (or it can be if you set the gain high enough).
So why not just have the one circuit, with two different gain settings ? You could have your foot switch to engage the circuit, and the toggle to select the levels. No need to overcomplicate things.
I have a pre-amp which has a boost that is foot switchable but the preamp is also controlled by a foot switch. I want to use the toggle to turn the Pre on (I pretty much always have it on so cover the foot switch anyways) then only need the boost as a foot switch. Instead of having a bypass controlled by the toggle I would quite like the option of just running a clean boost with my bypass signal. The boost with the pre only works when the pre is on and sometimes I dont want the pre on but still want a volume boost when experimenting with sounds or practicing. That probably didnt make much sense but the two in one design I posted originally is what I want based on my needs so I wanted to know if it could be done as I havent seen it done before.