first time using metal film resistors

Frequently asked question regarding resistors, potentiometers, types, requirements, ratings etc.
jimiguitar
Information

Post by jimiguitar »

first time using metal film resistors is there a size different between carbon 1/4 watt and metal metal film 1/4 watt i justt received my order from amazon and they look somewhat small than 1/4 watt carbons

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

jimiguitar wrote:first time using metal film resistors is there a size different between carbon 1/4 watt and metal metal film 1/4 watt i justt received my order from amazon and they look somewhat small than 1/4 watt carbons

Probably not, I buy 1/2 Watt metal film resistors from my local Jaycar Electronics store and they're about the same size as 1/4 Watt carbon film resistors....... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

I buy the 1/4W metal films from tayda. they're also in a 0703 package
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

Frank_NH
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Frank_NH »

I purchased some 1/4 W metal film resistors on eBay, and while the body of the resistor is the same as the common carbon film types, the wire lead diameter appears somewhat smaller/thinner. I can check this difference with my micrometer tonight. I don't think it's a problem for vero or pcb builds - just something I noticed. I was speculating that a thinner wire was necessary to ensure 1% tolerance on the indicated values for low value resistors? (maybe not...)

Tall Steve
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg SVT
Completed builds: Tonefiend Fiendmaster, Vibro-Champ Amp, Ross Phaser, BB Preamp, ProCo Rat

Post by Tall Steve »

Frank_NH wrote:I was speculating that a thinner wire was necessary to ensure 1% tolerance on the indicated values for low value resistors? (maybe not...)
Nah. The Tayda metal films have thinner leads than the Xicon metal films you get from Mouser for example, and they're both 1% tolerance. The thicker leads are easier to work with IMHO. They hold their shape better. If you're in the states, bulk pricing on the Xicons is competitive with Tayda. Two hundred Xicons can be had for $4 USD.
Free your mind...and your ass will follow. - George Clinton

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I think thinner leads just means cheaper. I've only bought carbon film from tayda, but they're also thinner than from other sources. I've also got some RS labelled carbon film from years ago and they are way thicker and last much longer for repeated breadboard use than any modrn resistors i've bought.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...