Divided by Thirteen CeeJay Eleven

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
topbrent
Information

Post by topbrent »

Sharp eyes guys!

I totally missed that the 10uf on v1b was the boost. :oops:
I never questioned what the brown wire was doing.
I stared at the pictures for a long time, but just saw the 100k and ASSumed that was the boost function, augmenting the 6.8k mid resistor ala Allen RAW knob :oops: :oops:

Looks like you guys have it pretty much dialed in now.
:applause:

conger
Information

Post by conger »

topbrent wrote:Looks like you guys have it pretty much dialed in now.
:applause:
Your help was instrumental on this. Many thanks.

jcat5503
Information

Post by jcat5503 »

Anyone know how I could add reverb to this?

I want to build one, but I gotta have reverb :)

conger
Information

Post by conger »

I think I saw a 5E3 with reverb over at the Hoffman amp forum.

topbrent
Information

Post by topbrent »

Adding reverb would be a fairly straight forward operation, as the origin of the CJ-11 preamp is fender blackface.

Fender did the leg work on this mod back in 1963.

For the traditional 2 tube fender style reverb, take a good look at a princeton reverb schematic, as there would only be very minor tweaks to insert the reverb. Eliminate the trem circuit and the NFB, tweak the power section to align more closely with the 5e3 and voila....cj11 with reverb.

http://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/ ... AA1164.pdf

There is also a simpler, 1 tube style reverb that can be added without much fuss also. Head over to el34world.com and look up the stickies on 1 tube reverb integration by tubenit.

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7957.0

jcat5503
Information

Post by jcat5503 »

Anyone built one of these?

I would really like to, my only concern is layout, which I've always been terrible at!

It's a bit hard to judge just looking at the photos

crunchman
Information

Post by crunchman »

OK, I'm gonna need a layout so I can mod my 5E3 ! Any takers lol :hmmm:

frankgb
Information

Post by frankgb »

I'm hoping to have a try at this myself, and was just going to use a modified ceriatone/weber deleuxe layout and just 'cut and paste' the ab763 input stage onto the deluxe layout.

I'm more interested in what transfomers to use, I assume a standard deluxe set would be OK?

cheers

darkbluemurder
Information

Post by darkbluemurder »

frankgb wrote: I'm more interested in what transfomers to use, I assume a standard deluxe set would be OK?
cheers
Those would certainly be fine. However I would consider an 18W transformer set for a bit more beef.

Cheers Stephan

JazzGuitarGimp
Information

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

conger wrote:A couple of errors corrected:
I am not seeing the MV control in this schematic, or am I missing it? Oops, I found it in a later post. I should have read all the way to the end of the thread before posting!

BigPaulie
Information

Post by BigPaulie »

Hello, and happy new year.

I'm new here. Can anyone please tell me if this is a verified schematic?

I'd love to do this as my first build.

Cheers,

Paul.

Zapel
Information

Post by Zapel »

I notice you guys did a very good job on delivering the schematic for this amp. I have a couple of questions please,
Did anyone notice if the GZ34 had limiting resistors on the plates and with the tone stack are all the pots log taper.
If anyone built the amp I would like to know if you have any comments about it.
Last question, did anyone draw the turret board layout.
Many thanks,
Zapel.

BigPaulie
Information

Post by BigPaulie »

Well it's been over 5 months and no reply... :(

Anyone?

Is it a verified schem?

BigPaulie
Information

Post by BigPaulie »

Hi, Zapel.

I noticed you've asked a couple of questions about the CJ11.

I'm interested in building it too, and have asked on the original thread if the schem is verified.

It might be an idea for you to pose your questions there to keep all the info on the build in one place.

peachhead25
Information

Post by peachhead25 »

I had a Triode Electronics 5e3 Deluxe build I did last summer that I hacked this circuit into. I love it, but still tweaking it as I go. I like the tweed deluxe circuit but always wanted to put an ab763 tonestack into it. So far my only complaints is that I feel like I should be getting more bass when I crank the bass control, I think it may be an error on my part though. I put a Celestion in mine that I had laying around. If this thing is 11 watts it is the loudest 11 watts I have ever heard!!!! much louder than the tweed deluxe was which I do not understand, maybe its just perceived loudness due to the additional mids.

engineelite
Information

Post by engineelite »

Anyone know the best way to tame the bright presence of this circuit?

I'm guessing I've got to up the mica cap values of either the 250pf or 100pf or both of them.

Thanks!

Groovenut
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Groovenut »

place a cap between the plate and cathode of the splitter. something along the lines of 47p-250p will get you started.

engineelite
Information

Post by engineelite »

Groovenut wrote:place a cap between the plate and cathode of the splitter. something along the lines of 47p-250p will get you started.
Considering that there are 2 plates and 2 cathodes in the PI then I should use 2 caps right.. One for each side?

Dingleberry
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Dingleberry »

I think I'll have to pull a trigger on this one. I've been digging tweed era 6V6 tones lately after I serviced my friend's transition era 5C3 and his 5E3. This might just be the cure for my gas, because I wan't a little more versatility and I already have five amps with just volume and tone...
I have recycled OT from 50's italian Geloso amp that had 2x6V6 p-p power amp in it. (it's really huge for a 2x6V6 amp) I also have couple of recycled power transformers to try, with slightly different plate voltages. I think I'm going ss rect, because the none of those PT's has 5Vac winding... Chassis I have on hand is also recycled cage amp so it's gonna be a head. I will also include mid pot because there is five pot holes in the chassis so I can keep the original cage amp aesthetetics. I'll post some pics when I get this project started.
Simplify before you amplify.

erfci
Information

Post by erfci »

This is cool. I think I'll try to turn my Silvertone 1482 into one of these... :horsey: