AB box dual input - single out and tuner out always on

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
noiseuoh
Information

Post by noiseuoh »

Heyo, have been having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to wire a switch box for a friend of mine with two inputs (like 2 guitars) to a tuner out that is always on. it doesnt work passively so i guess i need some kind of buffer/splitter but one that takes 2 inputs and ends with one output. hopefully this makes some sense to people.
is this even possible?
the switch box has 2 inputs running to a 3pdt selector switch running to a mute switch running to an output. at the moment i just passively connected the separate A/B inputs to the tuner out. and unsurprisingly it doesnt work and im lost.
any help from you gods of the effects world is appreciated.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Let's be clear what you want: A box with two inputs (guitar A and B), a footswitch that routes either A or B to a single ouput (amp out) and another single output to send the guitars to a tuner (tuner out). You say the tuner is "always on": Does this mean you want it possible to have *either* guitar connected to the tuner, or both guitars connected to the tuner simuiltaneously, or both connected permanently?

If you only ever want one send (guitar) into one out (amp or tuner) at a time, you can do it passively. Anythin else needs at least one buffer. A single buffer would do.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

noiseuoh
Information

Post by noiseuoh »

hey man, thanks for the response and help. i assume my friend would like it be that both guitars would be connected to the tuner simultaneously.
how then would i route the A and B? A into a buffer and B into another buffer, and then wire the buffer outs to the tuner jack?
basically i need to take 2 inputs and turn them into 1 output. how would i go about doing that? thanks again for the help

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Yeah, one easy way would just be sending guitar A's input through one buffer with two ouputs, guitar B goes through another buffer with two outputs. Send one of each output (i.e. one from A, one from B) to the A/B footswitch, and the other pair of outputs just get wired together and sent to the tuner output. The buffers on each input would then stop the guitars interacting with each-other, and would prevent the tuner output loading down either guitar.

You could build it with a dual opamp, with each half buffering one guitar input.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

noiseuoh
Information

Post by noiseuoh »

ok great. thats exactly what i was thinking about doing. thanks a lot man.