IndyGuitarist / Wampler Books

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.

Re: IndyGuitarist / Wampler Books

Postby J0K3RX » 30 Jan 2013, 22:32

bhill wrote:The books are good references for the time, not electronics texts, but very good for the DIYer.

However, the download site should be shot. They loaded their crap EasyLife onto my machine, wiped out my addons (ad blocker ,track me not and others), changed my default search engine from Google to Yahoo, and otherwise just fucked my machine. I've spent the last four hours trying to get this win7 pos back to a normal function. Set it back to a previous restore point. Still a fu'd browser. Time to download and reinstall Firefox. :evil:

Same here... I should have known better, just seemed odd to me but I flew into it like the stupid bug on Bugs Life flying into to blue bug zapper and couldn't stop! Who's j@ck@ss idea was it to use this downloader? I really hope it was not Brian Wampler because that would not be kool in the least! I wonder if he even knows this is being distributed like this?

bhill - any good removers or cleaners for this? I haven't been home to look for any yet?
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor

Have thanks: 445 times

Postby CHEEZOR » 01 Feb 2013, 00:06

If you are referring to the link in the original post, then that would be mine. The link had nothing to do with Brian Wampler. I have never had any issues with the site, but I guess I am tech-savvy enough to not click on all the crap ads. Sorry for the confusion. If I could edit the first post I would take down the link as someone else has posted another link through Dropbox and that would be easier for most people.

For this message the author CHEEZOR has received thanks:
dv8r601 (19 Apr 2015, 12:17)
CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 88 times

Postby J0K3RX » 01 Feb 2013, 01:17

CHEEZOR wrote:If you are referring to the link in the original post, then that would be mine. The link had nothing to do with Brian Wampler. I have never had any issues with the site, but I guess I am tech-savvy enough to not click on all the crap ads. Sorry for the confusion. If I could edit the first post I would take down the link as someone else has posted another link through Dropbox and that would be easier for most people.

It wasn't a matter of clicking on the "crap ads" it was the executable downloader that you have to run to download the pdf files that's infected... As for your "tech savviness", that is debatable! I am a network engineer and I am ashamed of myself for clicking on and downloading it, knowing full well that I was breaking all of my rules by doing so! Shame on me!!! A moderator should remove the link asap in case somebody clicks on it without reading further down in this post!
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor

Postby bhill » 01 Feb 2013, 04:14

J0K3RX wrote:?

bhill - any good removers or cleaners for this? I haven't been home to look for any yet?

I had to go through and get rid of a lot of the things manually after finding one uninstall in the x86 dir. Restored the machine to a restore point a couple days prev, and then searched for any reference to them on the machine and nuked those also. Ditto registry. Reset home page in browser, but still had to re install FF to get the addons back. Total PITA, but things are working (he said crossing fingers). One thing I've learned through the years is no matter how disciplined you are with your computing habits, shit still happens. Been on line since the 80's (remember BIX ?) and on the net at 9600 baud before it was the web. The number of incidents like this I can number on three or four fingers, but it still happens.
bhill
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby CHEEZOR » 01 Feb 2013, 23:12

J0K3RX wrote:It wasn't a matter of clicking on the "crap ads" it was the executable downloader that you have to run to download the pdf files that's infected...

What?!?!?!? :shock: When I posted the link there was no downloader involved. It has been quite some time since then, but originally there was a direct link. That link was surround by shitty ads that said "download" to fool people, but I thought it was easy enough at the time. If a moderator could remove the initial link, that would be great!
CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 88 times

Postby J0K3RX » 02 Feb 2013, 00:16

CHEEZOR wrote:
J0K3RX wrote:It wasn't a matter of clicking on the "crap ads" it was the executable downloader that you have to run to download the pdf files that's infected...

What?!?!?!? :shock: When I posted the link there was no downloader involved. It has been quite some time since then, but originally there was a direct link. That link was surround by shitty ads that said "download" to fool people, but I thought it was easy enough at the time. If a moderator could remove the initial link, that would be great!

Dude, no worries man! I know you didn't do anything intentionally... It's all good, I removed it from my box but I would hate to see anybody else get it! :wink:
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor

Postby ichilton » 08 Feb 2013, 12:12

Hi,

Don't suppose anyone knows if it's possible to get hold of the "How to Build Effect Pedals" book do you?

The download from this thread only has: "How To Modify Effect Pedals" and "Advanced DIY Effect Pedals".

Thanks,

Ian
ichilton

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby juanro » 14 Feb 2013, 13:21

:| Bad news, dropbox is getting bitchy about "high traffic" and have "suspended" my public links... we (I) will have to find another free, easy, no hassle file repository. Sorry.

Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.
juanro
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 137 times

Postby IvIark » 14 Feb 2013, 13:50

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

For this message the author IvIark has received thanks: 2
juanro (14 Feb 2013, 14:27), rocklander (15 Feb 2013, 20:53)
IvIark
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 667 times

Postby namesean » 13 Apr 2014, 14:33

Brian may never read this, but this is a classy move. No wonder the pedals are awesome. (I've had a euphoria for a year and its my # 1 pedal) My next favorite pedal is a Ibanez Tone King 999 (the one with a real tube in it). So I dont consider my love for Wampler simply blind. (and based off sound)

To me we are ALL a small business of 1, that is my opinion. But for him, as a pedal business owner who himself just recently "made it", that was great of him and slightly risky as he could create competition and others could even re-sell his book. I have never heard one bad thing about this guy. I personally emailed him prior to this about something and he could not have been nicer.

I know that is a figure of speech. "He could not have been nicer". But I am serious, the guy couldn't possibly be any NICER, or it would have been weird. You get my point and my opinion. I will get off my pedelstool' (nerd) as I personally think this is a good move while adding yet another reason to buy from him.

Okay, I wont lie. I only care about the pedal being good (or not). HA!!! BUT THE PEDALS are awesome. STILL, the guy is really great and the pedals are even better.
namesean

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby indyguitarist » 17 Apr 2014, 16:38

namesean wrote:Brian may never read this, but this is a classy move. No wonder the pedals are awesome. (I've had a euphoria for a year and its my # 1 pedal) My next favorite pedal is a Ibanez Tone King 999 (the one with a real tube in it). So I dont consider my love for Wampler simply blind. (and based off sound)

To me we are ALL a small business of 1, that is my opinion. But for him, as a pedal business owner who himself just recently "made it", that was great of him and slightly risky as he could create competition and others could even re-sell his book. I have never heard one bad thing about this guy. I personally emailed him prior to this about something and he could not have been nicer.

I know that is a figure of speech. "He could not have been nicer". But I am serious, the guy couldn't possibly be any NICER, or it would have been weird. You get my point and my opinion. I will get off my pedelstool' (nerd) as I personally think this is a good move while adding yet another reason to buy from him.

Okay, I wont lie. I only care about the pedal being good (or not). HA!!! BUT THE PEDALS are awesome. STILL, the guy is really great and the pedals are even better.

well, thank you :)

For this message the author indyguitarist has received thanks:
pinkjimiphoton (17 Apr 2014, 18:00)
indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 153 times

Postby pinkjimiphoton » 17 Apr 2014, 18:01

nice to see ya check in, wampcat!!

what kinda cool new stuff ya got cookin'?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 331 times

Postby Gcal67 » 20 Apr 2014, 00:49

Thanks Brain,

I've recently built my first pedal using some schematics and vero layouts (form this site and others) without much understanding of what I was doing or how (or why) the pedal worked :scratch: (thanks to all who have contributed to this site).
Having found this thread and the link to your downloads I now have a greater understanding and interest in developing this new hobby :lol:
.... my recent build is already on it's way to an upgrade :applause:

Thanks again...

Gaz.

Gcal67

Postby pinkjimiphoton » 20 Apr 2014, 04:31

actually, any chance of throwing open the archives completely bri?
the indyguitarist site had some awesome stuff on it, that's un-wayback-able
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 331 times

Postby indyguitarist » 06 Jul 2014, 14:58

pinkjimiphoton wrote:actually, any chance of throwing open the archives completely bri?
the indyguitarist site had some awesome stuff on it, that's un-wayback-able

Yep! We're actually working on doing some more DIY type stuff here very soon... the "how to modify effects book" is getting closer and closer to being done (it's being rewritten and updated). My guess is it's probably going to be back on the indyguitarist.com domain rather than a wampler pedals thing. I'll keep ya posted :)

For this message the author indyguitarist has received thanks: 7
blackbunny (15 Jul 2014, 13:06), CHEEZOR (15 Jul 2014, 05:05), ListenLoudly (05 Dec 2014, 05:13), pamaz (18 Jul 2014, 21:54), pinkjimiphoton (16 Feb 2015, 17:42), rocklander (23 Feb 2015, 04:19), tabbycat (23 Feb 2015, 02:30)
indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 153 times

Postby tabbycat » 23 Feb 2015, 02:38

^ @indyguitarist

hey brian, many thanks for being cool with the pdf download.
am in the no-man's land between known how to knock up a simple clone from a vero (lego-style clone-by-numbers) to actually knowing what i am doing with the bits in circuit tech terms. hopefully this will cast some light.

all the best with indyguitarist.com in 2015.
"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h. lawrence).
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
"ni dieu ni maître" (anarchist slogan).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby jujucritical » 28 Jun 2015, 16:50

Anyone mind reposting these PDFs? Or if someone can PM them to me I can host them. Thanks!
jujucritical

Postby marmaliser » 29 Jun 2015, 08:44

For this message the author marmaliser has received thanks: 2
Blitz Krieg (06 Jul 2015, 09:45), nickthemen (02 Jul 2015, 09:47)
marmaliser
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 46 times

Postby tim.crowe » 26 Jul 2015, 21:23

Does anyone here still have the PDF of "How to Build Effect Pedals?" I have the other two, but I'm looking for this one as well. Everywhere I look it's highly discussed, but I can never find it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.
tim.crowe

Postby DrNomis » 26 Jul 2015, 22:12

J0K3RX wrote:
bhill wrote:The books are good references for the time, not electronics texts, but very good for the DIYer.

However, the download site should be shot. They loaded their crap EasyLife onto my machine, wiped out my addons (ad blocker ,track me not and others), changed my default search engine from Google to Yahoo, and otherwise just fucked my machine. I've spent the last four hours trying to get this win7 pos back to a normal function. Set it back to a previous restore point. Still a fu'd browser. Time to download and reinstall Firefox. :evil:

Same here... I should have known better, just seemed odd to me but I flew into it like the stupid bug on Bugs Life flying into to blue bug zapper and couldn't stop! Who's j@ck@ss idea was it to use this downloader? I really hope it was not Brian Wampler because that would not be kool in the least! I wonder if he even knows this is being distributed like this?

What type of computer are you using,pc or mac?, and what os?, if you're using a pc and running windows you could give malwarebytes anti-malware a try, I've got the premium version installed on both my desktop and laptop computers.

Here's a link to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 384 times

PreviousNext

Return to Davidoff Library