Lithium Battery for TR505

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
bob barcus
Information

Post by bob barcus »

My 1984 Boss TR505 was working fine.And then some of the sounds got distorted or do not work at all Snare and Hand clap..There is a Lithium battery in it..Does anyone know where I could get one? I do not know anything about these drum machines I guess you have to unsolder it from the back side..

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Hi

before going further you should have a look at the service manual:
http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Roland/TR_Series/TR505/

You can find the 3V lithium with solder pin battery in many shops, for example:
https://syntaur.com/Items/4311.html
There a plenty on e-bay too which are a lot cheaper.

If the battery is really dead, you'll have to unsolder it, or cut the leads and fit a replacement battery with small wires (taking care of insulation of course).
I think it will reset the user saved patterns & sequences. You can avoid this while soldering the new battery in parallel with the old one, before removing it. So the RAM won't be cleaned.

There's a video where you see how to dismantle it:

Good luck!

snofla1900
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by snofla1900 »

You can avoid this while soldering the new battery in parallel with the old one, before removing it. So the RAM won't be cleaned.
Highly recommended procedure !
I performed this in my Xp 50 Keyboard and it worked great.

nosamiam
Information

Post by nosamiam »

Zokk wrote: If the battery is really dead, you'll have to unsolder it, or cut the leads and fit a replacement battery with small wires (taking care of insulation of course).
I think it will reset the user saved patterns & sequences. You can avoid this while soldering the new battery in parallel with the old one, before removing it. So the RAM won't be cleaned.
!
Ingenious!! If I ever need to do another battery replacement--I really need to do my own TR-505--I'll keep this in mind. So simple!