ToneCzar - Dove  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Here's this one...
ToneCzarDove_rev1.GIF
There are still some question marks about a few component values. I would have had to totally disassemble it to measure them, and the owner didn't want me to destroy it, so I left that alone. But maybe another one will turn up that we can measure these things with. My suspicion is that all the unmarked red Wima caps are 100nF, but I guess that would make it too easy.. :lol:
Attachments
img_0004.jpg
img_0001_01.jpg
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

No one is even going to second-guess this schematic? Judging by the voltages measured, I'm starting to think Q5 might not even be a MOSFET... I just put that because that's what was in the OpenHaus, but I'm surprised the "ON" resistance would be so high...

Was really hoping for some discussion about this circuit. :?
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

Q5 - LND150

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

Saruman wrote:Q5 - LND150
Ah yes, I remember some discussion about the MOSFET in the OpenHaus...now I see the high On resistance of 1K being the trick.

tonight, we ride
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 900 2500
Completed builds: TS-808 kit, Orange Squeezer kit, Super Duper clone, Big Muff (russian re-issue) creamy dreamer switchable mod,

Post by tonight, we ride »

Pretty sure that I still have all of the parts on hand for an Openhaus that I never built... I'll try to breadboard up what you have for the Dove late this week, or early next week when I have some time off of work.

I'll double check the parts stash tonight.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

soulsonic wrote:
Saruman wrote:Q5 - LND150
Ah yes, I remember some discussion about the MOSFET in the OpenHaus...now I see the high On resistance of 1K being the trick.

Is there any sense to use high voltage MOSFET in low voltage circuitry?

Some people are using them as a direct triode replacement (with full B+) in valve amps, you know...

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

I think the high "On" resistance makes it better suited to be used in the circuit this way.

DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DimebuGG »

Layout is ready for those who want to build the circuit 8) . Just waiting for the values.
Finch: A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Stifler: Suck my dick - Ron Jeremy

DimebuGG
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DimebuGG »

Before this thread will eternally sink and be forgotten, good thing I remember I did make a PCB layout on this. Note that there are still unknown component values based from Soulsonic's last schematic. :wink:
Attachments
Dove PCB.pdf
(133.44 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
Finch: A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Stifler: Suck my dick - Ron Jeremy

Alex174
Information

Post by Alex174 »

Hi,

Is there anybody who is able to share high definition picture of the solder side of the Dove pcb please??

Thank to all!!

Alex.

Alex174
Information

Post by Alex174 »

Hi,

Thanks for your answer Alex, but I'm looking for something else, so if somebody have this pedal and can post a picture of the solder side it would be very kind...

And I've build this circuit with 47nf and 22nf for the missing caps value, it works perfectly!

Thanks to everyone who worked on this project!!

Alex.

Alex174
Information

Post by Alex174 »

Hi,

I've worked several hours on this project and it's totally verified, it work perfectly and is pretty close to the original Dove but as I haven't plugged my axe on the original one I just can say it in comparison of what I've heard on the differents demos available on the net...

I have to tell one more thing, it's the rectifications I have to share for this project works perfectly, so here we go:

Q1 & Q2 for correct amount of gain use 2N5458 or J201
Q3 & Q4 must be, according to your taste, NPN Ge trannies Hfe 80/110 (Q3) and Hfe 50/80 (Q4)
IC1/2/3/4 opa2604 or opa2134
The deep switch resistor should be 680Ohms to 1.5KOhms according to your taste
And for the unknow caps values here are those I used, you can try another values but these ones makes the job perfectly!
C2->220nF to 470nF / C5->100nF / C7->68nF / C8->220nF to 470nF / C11->68nF / C12->220nF to 470nF / C16->330pF / C20->470nF to 680nF / C22->220nF to 470nF / C23->220nF to 470nF / C24->47nF / C28->47nF / C36->100nF / C39->100nF

Let me know if you find other values which works better...

(And I'm always looking for the pics of Dove solder side pcb)

Happy new year to all of you guys!!

Alex.

notnews32
Information

Post by notnews32 »

Yes! Thank you so much for your hard work here.. I've had one eye on this thread for a long time, so glad someone with skill put their mind to it.
Did you breadboard it to verify the design? or lay it out on stripboard or pcb?

Alex174
Information

Post by Alex174 »

Hi,

In fact I made the Dimebugg's pcb and put sockets everywhere I wasn't sure of the components values...
It was a really long job to find the correct combination of all the caps and resistors for which the value was unknow or wrong...!!
But now it works very well, I've got the Openhaus (clone version) and the Dove is really complementary!
I tried to find some high quality of the Dove sound but I just found several record with medium audio quality and all I can say is that this circuit is very very close to the original one! In fact I can't ear differences but as I told without a high quality demo I can be sure at 100%...

Hope my work will help some you guys!!

Alex.

Alex174
Information

Post by Alex174 »

Hi,

After to have worked on the original pcb I found that Q5 connot be a LND150 as the Vcc come in the first leg (flat side of the mosfet face to me) and as we know the LND150 need to receive Vcc in the third leg (the Drain leg), so maybe there is an other mosfet depletion mode identical to the lnd150 with an other pinout or it's a different type of mosfet...

(One more thing: with a lnd150 the dove circuit work perfectly)

I don't know if it will help somebody but I prefered to tell it.

I've got pics of solder side of the pcb I will post in the following days if there is always some people who are interested about this topic...

Alex.

Baggys
Information

Post by Baggys »

Alex174 wrote:Hi,

After to have worked on the original pcb I found that Q5 connot be a LND150 as the Vcc come in the first leg (flat side of the mosfet face to me) and as we know the LND150 need to receive Vcc in the third leg (the Drain leg), so maybe there is an other mosfet depletion mode identical to the lnd150 with an other pinout or it's a different type of mosfet...

(One more thing: with a lnd150 the dove circuit work perfectly)

I don't know if it will help somebody but I prefered to tell it.

I've got pics of solder side of the pcb I will post in the following days if there is always some people who are interested about this topic...

Alex.
The pics, please maybe ?
And any other news over the complete build ?

Alex174
Information

Post by Alex174 »

Sorry but sharing pics of original ToneCzar pcb on this forum is not really allowed, not forbidden I think but the schematic is good so you don’t need pics to make this circuit, I’m really sorry but the intellectual property had to be respect!

I can share it with you but only via personal mailbox...

Have a nice day!