Top Tone - Light Drive  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

friedtransistor wrote:I agree. I would like to see a verified schematic as well.
Totally, man. All throughout this thread, I see people commenting, "oh yeah, totally an SS-2", with no links at all to where they are getting this information? Is there an SS-2 schematic floating around that no one has posted here? Or is this just some rumor that got started on a forum?
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

What i know is that there are strong similarities with this pedal
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... up#p210475

...that is supposed to be a Cornish SS2 clone

friedtransistor
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshal Class v
Completed builds: Mad Professor Deep Blue delay, Mark Hammer's Chaos Fuzz, and an overdrive for my friend at church.

Post by friedtransistor »

here's a shortcut to the schematic in that other post (thanks to Intripped for that link):
https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... &mode=view
And the one posted earlier in this thread (thanks to MWichni for postihng that):
freestompboxes.org/download/file.php?id=16643
(Copy and paste to address bar. Dunno why no link appear...)

Very similar schematics, me thinks...
For all you starwars fans...

Sorry, downsized by request.

Did I mention I love bass?

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: HI-WATT DR103
Completed builds: Neo-Vibe, EH Big Muff Ram's Head, MXR Dynacomp, Demeter Compulator, Bk Butler Tube Driver, MXR Distortion +, Maxon OD880, MXR Phase 45, ProCo Rat, Colorsound Power Boost, BOSS CE-2, Rebote Delay 2.5, EH Electric Mistress, Fuzz Face, Tycobrahe Octavia, EH Pulsar. Custom made cabinet with 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30's.

Post by MWichni »

soulsonic wrote:
friedtransistor wrote:I agree. I would like to see a verified schematic as well.
Totally, man. All throughout this thread, I see people commenting, "oh yeah, totally an SS-2", with no links at all to where they are getting this information? Is there an SS-2 schematic floating around that no one has posted here? Or is this just some rumor that got started on a forum?
It is not verified that it is direct copy of the Cornish ss-2 but it sounds very similar. Unfortunately I don't have tend opportunity to compare this pedals.

fishfude
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fishfude »

So is this the most recent, reliable schem for the cornish: https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... &mode=view

Whats with the Resistor values ending in ''E"? (R10, R11, R24, R22 etc...)?

Cheers,
ff

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information
Completed builds: Neo-Vibe, EH Big Muff Ram's Head, MXR Dynacomp, Demeter Compulator, Bk Butler Tube Driver, MXR Distortion +, Maxon OD880, MXR Phase 45, ProCo Rat, Colorsound Power Boost, BOSS CE-2, Rebote Delay 2.5, EH Electric Mistress, Fuzz Face, Tycobrahe Octavia, EH Pulsar. Custom made cabinet with 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30's.

Post by MWichni »

This is one way to state the resistor value. For example R24 is 100E which means it is 100 ohm value. The same thing concerns other resistor values expressed in "E" manner.
Cheers.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Attachments
Top Tone Light Drive corrections
Top Tone Light Drive corrections
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Ghandi
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Ghandi »

Anybody else thinks the biasing around the second opamp looks a bit odd?

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by MWichni »

I can't post the schematic. For some reason "upload attachment" doesn't work for me. I have the corrected schematic. If anyone want's it feel free to e-mail me or send me a pm with a request.

Best regards,
Mariusz.

Blend
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall jcm 800, Soldano, Brunetti

Post by Blend »

Assuming that the father of this pedal is the distortion mxr + and Randy Rhoads to make up for its flaws used immediately after a eq. and that gives his best on a tube amp, the improvement made SS-2 style and Light Drive is obvious. A month ago I did a bit of healthy experimentation likely missing values and found errors on published schemes so far. I used a MC1458 because it actually contains 2 741 quiet, everything works fine but I feel that it is not 99% mainly on hiking tone, perhaps a different second op-amp is the key? However, the volume and gain controls must be adjusted differently when used on clean channel or crunch, crunch you go with full volume and gain at 0 and has a great shot, on the clean channel volume of 11-12 hours and gain from 0 hours 15. Just as in the attached diagram I used in concert last Saturday with marshall jcm 900 and 4x12 cabinet in 1960 and has performed well flares up the amp beautifully.
Attachments
TopTone Light Drive  BLEND revisited.jpg

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by MWichni »

Hi guys, I uploaded the schematic to tinypic.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/8yc46x.jpg

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

MWichni wrote:I can't post the schematic. For some reason "upload attachment" doesn't work for me. I have the corrected schematic. If anyone want's it feel free to e-mail me or send me a pm with a request.

Best regards,
Mariusz.
1. Click on [Browse] button
2. Select the image you want to attach
3. Click on [Add the File] button
Attachments
img.jpg

Blend
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall jcm 800, Soldano, Brunetti

Post by Blend »

In this discussion I keep seeing sent schematic of a puzzle made up of fragments from SS-2, Light Drive and Skrydstrup ODR2, in my scheme published yesterday I mistakenly reversed R3 with R5, but it would be really necessary to define what is missing in a Light correct drive, the last schematic published "Cornish SS-2 Light-drive", I see:
- Improper placement of C15 (from Skrydstrup ODR2?)
- R6, 100k is the value in Light drives
- C3 and C12 are Evox PFR having a minimum value on the market 100pf
- R9, 1M should be the impedance of the second phase input
- D2, is missing as in the photo published on page 1 as an element in series resistance or of another diode.

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by MWichni »

karul wrote:
MWichni wrote:I can't post the schematic. For some reason "upload attachment" doesn't work for me. I have the corrected schematic. If anyone want's it feel free to e-mail me or send me a pm with a request.

Best regards,
Mariusz.
1. Click on [Browse] button
2. Select the image you want to attach
3. Click on [Add the File] button
I know how it works. When I select the file and then click add the file I get blank site and cannot finish my post in any way...
Blend wrote: In this discussion I keep seeing sent schematic of a puzzle made up of fragments from SS-2, Light Drive and Skrydstrup ODR2, in my scheme published yesterday I mistakenly reversed R3 with R5, but it would be really necessary to define what is missing in a Light correct drive, the last schematic published "Cornish SS-2 Light-drive", I see:
- Improper placement of C15 (from Skrydstrup ODR2?)
- R6, 100k is the value in Light drives
- C3 and C12 are Evox PFR having a minimum value on the market 100pf
- R9, 1M should be the impedance of the second phase input
- D2, is missing as in the photo published on page 1 as an element in series resistance or of another diode.

I will revise that for you and report back during next days. Just too much to do currently.

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Hey guys,

I've been messing around with this circuit and have a quick question. The pedal has a bit of a mid hump I don't really care for, is there a part or parts I can mess with to reduce it?

Thanks.
The television will not be revolutionized.

bc108
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: BE100

Post by bc108 »

A few years later: which is the most accurate SS-2 schematic?

Thanks in advance :-)

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

bc108 wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 13:58 A few years later: which is the most accurate SS-2 schematic?

I built the GuitarPCB version and it sounds good to me. Didn't sound f@#)&d up, sounded about right from the first play.

bc108
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bc108 »

monkeyxx wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 14:08
bc108 wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 13:58 A few years later: which is the most accurate SS-2 schematic?

I built the GuitarPCB version and it sounds good to me. Didn't sound f@#)&d up, sounded about right from the first play.
Thanks! I'll check that schematic

I've used the effectslayouts.blogspot layout. Sounds really nice. Just too much highs.. and found difference schematics around

bc108
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bc108 »

Found this great and usefull tracing of the SS-3 by Aion: https://aionfx.com/news/tracing-journal ... t-sustain/

I've combined both versions:
Verdict: Now this overdrive sounds AMAZING.
Not fizzy and saturated on highs: gain clarity on bass and mids.
Tone potentiometer brings a nice Bass to Highs response without scoop the mids and (again) saturated highs like before.
A bit more and better distortion/compression.