separate pickup switches.

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
deth502
Information

Post by deth502 »

heres my issue.

i rewired my strat. i have 3 humbuckers installed. a full size seymore duncan jb in the bridge, a sd jb jr in the middle single coil slot, and a sd hot rails (??) in the single slot neck position. i have each of them going into a 3-way switch to set them up for series, single coil, parallel operation, from there the signal goes to an on off switch for each pickup. the 3 wires from that then go to the vol/tone/output.

when i wired it up, it was dead silent. ( the cavities are covered in conductive paint) ..... a little too silent. i set the on/off switches to go to ground when they were off. this had the unforeseen side effect of grounding out the entire signal unless all 3 pu's were turned on (hence, there was no more path to ground)

of course, this was unacceptable. so i cut the gnd wires from the on/off switch and now everything works..... except.... when i have all 3 off (and the output is floating) there is a HORRIBLE buzz, and even when i turn one or 2 pu's on, the buzz is still noticeable.

any suggestions on how to ground these pickups to get rid of the hum without grounding the whole system rendering it useless?

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Welcome to FSB deth502.

What we really need is a schematic, internet fault diagnosis is usually no better the information given.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

krome_magnon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by krome_magnon »

Try this, you will need 3 DPDT switches. When all of them are off the signal path is grounded and silent. If any one or more are ON then that pickup is connected to the signal path.

https://s725.photobucket.com/user/ruinb ... sort=3&o=0
The noise from the tape deck was only drowned out by the buzz from the wine.

deth502
Information

Post by deth502 »

krome_magnon wrote:Try this, you will need 3 DPDT switches. When all of them are off the signal path is grounded and silent. If any one or more are ON then that pickup is connected to the signal path.

[ Image ]

AWESOME!! this is PERFECT! thank you!!!

krome_magnon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by krome_magnon »

deth502 wrote:
krome_magnon wrote:Try this, you will need 3 DPDT switches. When all of them are off the signal path is grounded and silent. If any one or more are ON then that pickup is connected to the signal path.

[ Image ]

AWESOME!! this is PERFECT! thank you!!!
The drawing stops at the neck + bridge combination for the sake of space. But all combinations of the 3 are possible.
The noise from the tape deck was only drowned out by the buzz from the wine.