Does this switch wiring work for what I want?

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
JakeAC5253
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: '81 JCM800 2203
Completed builds: FET-Opamp based OD
JFET clean boost/OD
Extreme Fuzz for doom

Post by JakeAC5253 »

I want to break a signal path which has no discrete components in it as of now. I want a 3 position toggle switch to have the options of Stock (signal pass through), Resistor 1 (signal path broken and routed into Resistor 1), and Resistor 2 (signal path broken and routed into Resistor 2). I've been pondering this, but I think I have figured out how to do it. Can anyone look this over and see if this looks correct? The switch is an ON-ON-ON DP3T switch. Forgive the sloppy Paint work, I'm a mechanic, not an artist :mrgreen:
Attachments
MV Switch.png
MV Switch.png (7.68 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
Last edited by JakeAC5253 on 26 Nov 2016, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

JakeAC5253
Resistor Ronker
Information
JFET clean boost/OD
Extreme Fuzz for doom

Post by JakeAC5253 »

Actually, I think I just corrected my own design. Try this one.

Actually I don't think this one works either. Maybe both jumpers combined? Now I've got myself confused...
Attachments
MV Switch 2.png
MV Switch 2.png (8.11 KiB) Viewed 3572 times

oldrenegade
Information

Post by oldrenegade »

I believe a on-on-on toggle switch works as so.
Attachments
on-on-on.jpeg
on-on-on.jpeg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 3557 times

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

I've never seen a 3 position toggle switch with 8 connections (but they may exist). I have seen plenty as shown by oldrenegade.

To get your required combinations you would connect it as follows.

Input to pin 2
output to pin 5
Link 3, 4
R1 between 1,4
R2 between 3,6

This would give
on [on] on - signal straight through
[on] on on - R1 in series with signal
on on [on] - R2 in series with signal
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

JakeAC5253
Resistor Ronker
Information
JFET clean boost/OD
Extreme Fuzz for doom

Post by JakeAC5253 »

Interesting. I did a google search of a DP3T switch, and it came up with this result.

That's the assumption I was coming from. You've obviously solved the issue though using that switch style. Now is that considered an ON-ON-ON DPDT, or is that in fact what a DP3T is? I haven't found much documentation about these types of uncommon switches that go beyond basic two position SPDT and any variation thereof with more poles. The uncommon ones being DP3T, or 4P3T etc.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

JakeAC5253 wrote:Now is that considered an ON-ON-ON DPDT, or is that in fact what a DP3T is?
Yes, you are right, that is a DPDT on-on-on, the one you showed is one form of DP3T but as I said I haven't seen a toggle switch like that.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

JakeAC5253
Resistor Ronker
Information
JFET clean boost/OD
Extreme Fuzz for doom

Post by JakeAC5253 »

deltafred wrote:
JakeAC5253 wrote:Now is that considered an ON-ON-ON DPDT, or is that in fact what a DP3T is?
Yes, you are right, that is a DPDT on-on-on, the one you showed is one form of DP3T but as I said I haven't seen a toggle switch like that.
Awesome, thanks a lot for the help man! :thumbsup

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

deltafred wrote:
Neither have I. If one can find a switch in that functionality it's a slide switch disguised as a toggle.

Ontopic.
The usual 3 position toggles are On-off-On where the center contact(s) do not make a connection to the outer contact when in the middle position. When the application allows to change order from resitor-short-resistor to short-resistor-resistor a on-off-on switch will work like a charm. One outer position will be the short. The center position will be the highest resistor value required. The last position will be that "highest value" in parallel with a resistor that together creates the value for the lower required resistor value.

And the switch will probably be cheaper and less chunky ;-)
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com