pedal rehousing

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
JOCam
Information

Post by JOCam »

Hi guys, I've been toying with this idea for a long time and wondered if you had any suggestions or foresee any problems I might encounter. I play Pedal Steel and I use 3 stomp boxes (chorus, delay and phaser). I'd like to take the guts out of them and put them all into one box with flick switches as opposed to push switches.I'd also like to run them from one power source ie powerbrick. I don't have much knowledge of electronics so I'm worried that I'll blow the whole lot. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Hi

I see no major problem here.
You'll have to pay attention to power consumption: your power source should be able to handle the 3 circuits on one output.

Also be careful with the grounds: those 3 circuits should have a common ground, but try to avoid ground loops ( redundant wiring).

If you want more precise help, you should post the effects brand and model.

Cheers.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Zokk wrote:If you want more precise help, you should post the effects brand and model.
+ 1

There are several ways that the bypass circuit is achieved, Post which pedals you are using and there are lots of helpful guys here who can advise you.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

JOCam
Information

Post by JOCam »

Thanks guys.I have an Electro-Harmonics Small Stone, Danelectro FAB Chorus and Danelectro Dan-Echo. I also have an old Boss Tone which still works but the casing is gone as are the control knobs. I'd like to add that in as well if possible

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Instead of rehousing the pedals why not make a bypass box with flick switches and an in and out jack for each pedal. You would leave the pedals on all the time and bypass each with DPDT (double pole double throw) switch as required.

That way there is no risk to your pedals and if you fancy a change you could easily swap the order or try different pedals.

I don't have a suitable drawing package so will draw something up freehand and scan and post it if you are interested.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

JOCam
Information

Post by JOCam »

Thanks for that but that wouldn't solve the problem. I really need to condense them down into a box which I can clip onto the leg of my steel and still have full control of each pedal.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Ah, I see. I didn't realise there was a size constraint.

I don't have experience of the pedals you are wanting to rehouse so don't know whether they are switched or electronic bypass.

Switched bypass uses a multi pole 2 way switch to switch the input and output of the pedal circuit, often with a separate pole to control the indicator LED. Electronic bypass (usually) uses a single, often momentary action, switch and an electronic circuit to control either a relay or electronic switches and the indicator LED.

Until it is known what your pedals use little progress can be made.