Disappointing "Boutique" Pedals....

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Disappointing "Boutique" Pedals....

Postby DirtyHarry86 » 20 Jan 2017, 08:53

It's been a while since I purchased a "boutique" pedal because after so many disappointments and money down the tubes I started building clones and modifying Boss effects. :)
I thought I'd make a short list of the most disappointing effects I've ever bought starting with some local companies in my neck of the woods here in the Pacific NW.

1.) The PettyJohn Pre-Drive-By far the worst $300+ I've ever spent. It looks cool, but thats it.

2.) Anything by Catalinbread-Kama Sutra Fuzz, their reverb pedals, Dirty Little Secret, and the rest I've even tried at the store.

3.) Wampler Tweed '57-If you're going to charge $200, just use real hole through parts and not smd's. Maybe then it won't sound like crap!

4.) Fulltone OCD-What's all the hype with the OCD about? I know Fulltone is constantly revising their circuits for the worse so maybe I didnt try the "good" one.

5.) Way Huge Swollen Pickle: Is this company considered "boutique"? Idk Luckily I had the receipt to return it to GC.

6.) Keeley Phase 24-Almost as bad as the Boss PH-3. Well, that may be a bit of a stretch, but not much.

7.) Keeley Sea Foam Chorus

8.) Xotic SP Compressor- Very thin sounding compressor.

9.) Wampler Sovereign Distortion-So bad...

10.) Most anything Brian Wampler poops out apart from the Ego Compressor and the Faux Echo which aren't amazing, but they're pretty good.

I will end on a positive note so I don't sound like a total snob and say the biggest suprise I ever had was the Bogner Harlow pedal! If you crank that thing you will hear some tone!!

What are some of the worst boutique pedals you've played?
DirtyHarry86

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Disappointing "Boutique" Pedals....

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 20 Jan 2017, 14:42

DirtyHarry86 wrote: just use real hole through parts and not smd's. Maybe then it won't sound like crap!

If you make a list of pedals you coinsidfer crap, then at least be willing to learn instead of repeating unfounded hearsay.
At the other hand, if modifying for the sake of modifying is your goal and you consider Monte Allums a decent source of data....

Pls do yourself a favour and go to TGP with your complaints.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 984 times

Postby Fender3D » 20 Jan 2017, 15:38

No thank button but.............

Thanks Dirk
Fender3D
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 121 times

Postby Frank_NH » 20 Jan 2017, 15:55

There's nothing inherently wrong about posting opinions of pedals that disappoint you. It's interesting information to add to our collective database.

But there are a lot of variables which ultimately determine (for someone's personal tastes) a "good" pedal as opposed to one that's "disappointing", including:

* What music do you play?
* What guitar(s) do you use?
* What amp(s)?
* Are other effects in the chain?

Personally, there have been pedal circuits that I've built that were great(!) when I first built them, then were just ho-hum later on. Maybe I'm fickle, or my tastes change, new guitars, etc. But certainly, a fuzz which sounds like dreck to one person may be someone else's dream tone.

As far as overdrives/distortions are concerned, the one I favor now is the Ibanez MT-10 Mostortion. I built the Aion Electronics PCB version of it (the Quantum) and it's fabulous. :thumbsup
Frank_NH
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby DirtyHarry86 » 20 Jan 2017, 16:27

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
DirtyHarry86 wrote: just use real hole through parts and not smd's. Maybe then it won't sound like crap!

If you make a list of pedals you coinsidfer crap, then at least be willing to learn instead of repeating unfounded hearsay.
At the other hand, if modifying for the sake of modifying is your goal and you consider Monte Allums a decent source of data....

"Unfounded hearsay"? Hearsay would be repeating what I heard someone else say. This is purely my opinion. How can it be unfounded since nothing I said should be considered or interpreted as objective truth. It's just my opinion.
"
DirtyHarry86

Postby alexradium » 20 Jan 2017, 16:32

The most important quality in any piece of guitar related gear is if YOU can actually play and get the best out of it.
But the word boutique...its overused today,it should be something custom tailored to a particular player or style of playing,not a mass produced clone of a 2 diode basic distortion pedal.
I mean,everybody is talking about vintage Fender products like holy grail,in the end those were mass produced instruments by minimum wage men and women,today anyone who makes a Fender copy of anything in the same fashion of the old days is called a GURU technician or luthier....
Gimme a break.
alexradium
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby DirtyHarry86 » 20 Jan 2017, 16:39

Frank_NH wrote:There's nothing inherently wrong about posting opinions of pedals that disappoint you. It's interesting information to add to our collective database.

But there are a lot of variables which ultimately determine (for someone's personal tastes) a "good" pedal as opposed to one that's "disappointing", including:

* What music do you play?
* What guitar(s) do you use?
* What amp(s)?
* Are other effects in the chain?

Personally, there have been pedal circuits that I've built that were great(!) when I first built them, then were just ho-hum later on. Maybe I'm fickle, or my tastes change, new guitars, etc. But certainly, a fuzz which sounds like dreck to one person may be someone else's dream tone.

As far as overdrives/distortions are concerned, the one I favor now is the Ibanez MT-10 Mostortion. I built the Aion Electronics PCB version of it (the Quantum) and it's fabulous. :thumbsup

Everything I said was obviously my opinion. No one should take it to the bank. :)
I love that 10 series of Ibanez pedals! I have the Ibanez CD10 Delay and SC10 Chorus! It may be the best chorus ever. I run them through an effects loop on one amo and into a Deluxe reverb on the other. I have not tried the MT10. Mostortion though. I will check it out!

I also just finished an Aion electronics build myself! Sounds just like the old MIJ DS-1. Very nice!

I play Chet Atkins/Merle Travis stuff,blues, and classic rock.
DirtyHarry86

Postby DirtyHarry86 » 20 Jan 2017, 16:44

alexradium wrote:The most important quality in any piece of guitar related gear is if YOU can actually play and get the best out of it.
But the word boutique...its overused today,it should be something custom tailored to a particular player or style of playing,not a mass produced clone of a 2 diode basic distortion pedal.
I mean,everybody is talking about vintage Fender products like holy grail,in the end those were mass produced instruments by minimum wage men and women,today anyone who makes a Fender copy of anything in the same fashion of the old days is called a GURU technician or luthier....
Gimme a break.

Ha! So true. It shows the sad state of our economy that making something to the standard of what was mass produced in the 50s and 60s needs a ridiculous label like "boutique".
DirtyHarry86

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 20 Jan 2017, 17:42

DirtyHarry86 wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:

"Unfounded hearsay"? Hearsay would be repeating what I heard someone else say. This is purely my opinion. How can it be unfounded since nothing I said should be considered or interpreted as objective truth. It's just my opinion.
"

Please elaborate where you stated your opinion on use of SMT as an opinion. What it reads is as a direct assumption that the use of SMT adds op to the inferior sonic qualities. This is an opinion which is very commonly ventilated on fanboy sites like TGP, as well as on DIY sites where tinkerers ran into their own technical limitations and cover this by assuming the technology used suddenly affects the sonic quality. Therefore, your purely personal opinion happens to be one very often heard as an excuse.

So honestly my best man; you're full of bollocks on this subject. And, although that's my, purely personal, opinion, you know this just as well. My best guess is you're just too stinkin proud to admit. [smilie=thefinger.gif]
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 984 times

Postby Ice-9 » 20 Jan 2017, 23:52

DirtyHarry86 wrote:It's been a while since I purchased a "boutique" pedal because after so many disappointments and money down the tubes I started building clones and modifying Boss effects. :)
I thought I'd make a short list of the most disappointing effects I've ever bought starting with some local companies in my neck of the woods here in the Pacific NW.

just use real hole through parts and not smd's. Maybe then it won't sound like crap!

What a load of Bollocks you talk. Simples. :hmmm:

I haven't quoted all the bad pedals you mention as they are not bad, I suggest you have just posted this to get a reaction, so answer me this, why do you think Through hole components are better then SMD. :popcorn:
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?
Ice-9
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 338 times

Postby ppluis0 » 21 Jan 2017, 02:27

Ice-9 wrote:I suggest you have just posted this to get a reaction, so answer me this, why do you think Through hole components are better then SMD.

Perhaps components with their leads NOT soldered to a board can sound even better ? :)

Cheers,
Jose
ppluis0
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby DirtyHarry86 » 21 Jan 2017, 02:55

Ice-9 wrote:
DirtyHarry86 wrote:It's been a while since I purchased a "boutique" pedal because after so many disappointments and money down the tubes I started building clones and modifying Boss effects. :)

just use real hole through parts and not smd's. Maybe then it won't sound like crap!

What a load of Bollocks you talk. Simples. :hmmm:

I haven't quoted all the bad pedals you mention as they are not bad, I suggest you have just posted this to get a reaction, so answer me this, why do you think Through hole components are better then SMD. :popcorn:

If you like one of those pedals, that's great. I dont "react" when someone doesnt like a pedal that I do. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Don't get your pannies all bunched up over it.
I think the guy who commented on all the hype around "boutique" gear understood what I was saying. They may sound good, but they dont sound $200-$300 good. Isnt that why people on this site build a lit of their own effects?
DirtyHarry86

Postby alexradium » 21 Jan 2017, 08:59

ppluis0 wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:I suggest you have just posted this to get a reaction, so answer me this, why do you think Through hole components are better then SMD.

Perhaps components with their leads NOT soldered to a board can sound even better ? :)

[ Image ]

Cheers,
Jose
with a well designed pcb you can do things you can't do with PTP wiring,for sure,and some components like opamps preferably need that,because there are things like RF,oscillations and such that come into play.
The funny thing is that many PTP amps in the 3000 range are wired pretty sloppy with grounds all over the place for no reason at all,so PTP is nothing without knowledge.
alexradium
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby Manfred » 21 Jan 2017, 12:14

with a well designed pcb you can do things you can't do with PTP wiring,for sure,and some components like opamps preferably need that,because there are things like RF,oscillations and such that come into play.

I am not take issue with you about your remarks, but I think a well designed PCB is allways gamble, because the dimensions and the location of some parts are predefined.
Hand on heart - I guess there are few cases of problems in the audio frequency band.

The funny thing is that many PTP amps in the 3000 range are wired pretty sloppy with grounds all over the place for no reason at all,so PTP is nothing without knowledge.

When I have look at to many pedals, the PCBs of them are located underneath the cover, with the solder side facing up,
so the solder points are much closer to the ground than of those PTP wirings.

@jose

Quite joking, it might be true! :shock:
Manfred
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 338 times

Postby Nocentelli » 21 Jan 2017, 13:13

There are two things going on in this thread:

1) "Boutique" used to be shorthand for Fuller, zvex, teese, klon etc, i.e. people who capitalised on hype for hand built pedals, in a time before people could just google any schematic they wanted and build it for themselves. I'm not sure what it means now. eBay is now awash with UK handmade fuzzfaces etc, going for the cost of parts plus maybe £1:50 ph labour. Meanwhile, mass manufacturing companies have moved onto making pedals that look more like handmade pedals, although obviously factory made x1000s.

Due to economics of global industrialization, it seems the only way to make a profit from making pedals inside the UK, USA and most of Europe is to either use the hand-built, hand selected, artisan model of pricing or sell a product based on some other benefit such as higher durability, better engineering or some sort of innovation (rare).

2)
DirtyHarry86 wrote:just use real hole through parts and not smd's. Maybe then it won't sound like crap!

sounds much the same as

tgpfanboy wrote:[insert crappyboutiqueclone]just uses paperinoilmojocaps and not box caps. Maybe that's why it sounds amazing!
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 808 times

Postby toneman » 22 Jan 2017, 01:09

ppluis0 wrote:

[ Image ]

Cheers,
Jose

That's some real nice electronic art delaelegance! :wink:

voltage is voltage; current is current.
copper, lead, tin, steel, nickel are all conductors.
resistor leads are magnetic: steel(iron)
8)
Tone-to-the-Bone
toneman
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby grrrunge » 26 Jan 2017, 08:32

ppluis0 wrote:Perhaps components with their leads NOT soldered to a board can sound even better ? :)
[ Image ]

This tickles my OCD in all the right places :lol:
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk
grrrunge
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 200 times

Postby okgb » 27 Jan 2017, 21:40

that pic is purdy, almost art , but using a DTTP switch and no L.E.D. ? is that too purist ???

it's all about value, what's it worth to you , or to resell or to collect or reputation
a good tool or just a device to feel like you're in the game !
and there are many games ........ I've got a great thing that you need , so pay me
okgb
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 39 times

Postby RnFR » 06 Mar 2017, 04:27

ppluis0 wrote:

[ Image ]

Cheers,
Jose

Hmmmm how much does this cost?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 170 times

Postby jalmonsalmon » 18 May 2017, 03:26

ppluis0 wrote:

Cheers,
Jose

Man... LOL And let me just say that is sexy!
SMD imo would sound the same, just looks like ass :mrgreen:
jalmonsalmon
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 22 times

Next

Return to Freestomp Café!