On-On-Off switches?

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
eddie_bowers
Information

Post by eddie_bowers »

I realize mechanically having On-Off-On makes sense, but often it would be nicer to have On-On-Off for the user experience.
I can't find any mini switches that do this. Do they exist?

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Perhaps in a pushbutton variant. For toggle switches this way of switching would be extremely complex from a mechanical construction point of view. Open a toggle switch, figure outn how it works and you'll see whay the on-off-on is easy but the on-on-off complex.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

eddie_bowers wrote:I realize mechanically having On-Off-On makes sense, but often it would be nicer to have On-On-Off for the user experience.
I can't find any mini switches that do this. Do they exist?
You're right, on-on-off would often put the different sounds in a more logical sequence on the switch and make for a pedal that's more intuitive to dial in. Sadly, there's no mechanical on-on-off switch readily available, but you could take a DPDT on-on-on switch and wire it as you please.

That's how I did it in one of my fuzz builds. Beside the stock smoothness cap, I wanted to have an additional extra smooth sound of a cap with a higher value and the raspy sound of no smoothness cap at all. Preferably, in the logical sequence of raspy, stock and extra smooth. A DPDT on-on-on switch was the answer.
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

eddie_bowers
Information

Post by eddie_bowers »

Using on-on-on never even occurred to me. Yeah I think that is the way to go. THANKS!

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

You're welcome ! Glad to be of help.
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.