Disappointing "Boutique" Pedals....

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Re: Disappointing "Boutique" Pedals....

Postby ppluis0 » 18 May 2017, 23:28

jalmonsalmon wrote:Man... LOL And let me just say that is sexy!

The imagen was found searching the web and not belong to an FX build it by me.

I always prefer to mount every component into a board... INCLUDING THE TUBE !!!

Hope this photograph of one of my creations can be considered sexy also... 8)

ppluis0
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 72 times

Postby deltafred » 19 May 2017, 00:00

ppluis0 wrote:Hope this photograph of one of my creations can be considered sexy also... 8)

I don't care what it sounds like, that is downright sexy! :applause:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 257 times

Postby HamishR » 25 Jun 2017, 13:13

You just can't generalise. I used to dislike Wampler pedals because I tried a few which i thought sounded truly awful - and still do. But then I tried a Ecstasy/Euphoria and I quite liked it. Now with the benefit of DIY I have tweaked it to suit me better and i really like it. Earth shattering? No, but it serves a purpose.

I'm also not a fan of BJF - his pedals are stupidly expensive. But I have used the Honeybee as a starting point for a pedal of my own and it's one of my favourite overdrives. Stock I'm not super impressed but he has some clever ideas. But as a starting point for your own pedals they can be amazing. I recently (yesterday!) bought a One Control Strawberry Red overdrive and it sounds a LOT like my version of the HB. Designed by BJF and it's a really great pedal. It uses SMD I'm sure and it sounds really good.

I have to agree about Catalinbread and Keeley - nothing of theirs does anything for me at all but I see no reason to start a thread about how crap they are. I suspect people here know what they do or don't like.

I come from a background of tagboard amp building. I love building these old school amps and rate good layout and lead dress. But not everything can be built this way, both from a practical viewpoint and a sales viewpoint. I believe that being able to build something which sounds great regardless of method is a skill. Build a fab sounding pedal from SMD parts? That's some skill. And it seems it can be done.
HamishR

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby thehallofshields » 17 Mar 2018, 23:41

HamishR wrote:I'm also not a fan of BJF - his pedals are stupidly expensive. But I have used the Honeybee as a starting point for a pedal of my own and it's one of my favourite overdrives. Stock I'm not super impressed but he has some clever ideas. But as a starting point for your own pedals they can be amazing.

I built a Honeybee clone, and it just ended up too dark, so I bought a Supro Drive. Still not happy, the Surpo Drive has a really unappealing breakup characteristic. Like a crackling JFet; the threshold is really high, then when it hits, it gets fuzzy, boomy, crackly.

I guess it's my first disappointing boutique experience.
thehallofshields

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby soulsonic » 29 Apr 2018, 07:58

Yo, you can make a meticulously hand-wired boutique looking circuit with garbage components and it will sound fine. And you can machine assemble a mass-produced whatever pedal with SMD components and it will also sound fine.
Or you could meticulously hand-wire a boutique looking circuit with top shelf crazy rare overpriced and overhyped components and it will also sound fine, but it will have a much higher resale value because of the accumulated value of the rare components used.

Therefore, it sounds better. Because when you flip it to buy the next whatever boutique OD guaranteed to make you sound like SRV, you should recoup your investment well because of good resale value, because mojo components, etc...

sad truth
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 269 times

Previous

Return to Freestomp Café!