Sweet Honey Overdrive - Mod to Deluxe?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
chucker
Information

Post by chucker »

Has anyone modded a Sweet Honey Overdrive to a Deluxe yet? Anyone reverse engineered a Deluxe yet?
Any info on the SHOD Deluxe? Anybody.....?

chucker
Information

Post by chucker »

Hello....... Is this thing on???

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

joyo jf-36 sweet baby is a clone. there are mods in that thread here that may be useful to you getting more out of it.

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23063

BJF
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by BJF »

Hi,

Well to make the DLX version it took a new pcb design with the things I wanted to do.

I am not at liberty to disclose the schematic for this one but you must take one apart and that'd be on you.

Hm modding a Sweet Baby I guess it could be done while Joyo........let's say they said onto me that they were inspired greatly, while I'd appreciate that I'd say they did get a few things wrong and that is why as I saw in the linked thread why I didn't think the Joyo sounded so much like the MP SHOD but I am talking small differences that anyone striking hard and downwards only never hear anyway- that is to say depending on your playing style somethings don't matter at all.

Here's what I can tell:
It has a pre distortion Bass control and a a past distortion boost and cut Treble control and a widened range of Focus control that really controls what is distorted more than anything else and it does that by limiting slew rate....
Furter more the distortion range was increased and total output increased a little bit.

Hey this is what feedback on the original units asked and so I drew what would be needed for a DLX version

I think the DLX version is a pcb version and should be cheap enough I guess- no I don't have one myself and only the proto I drew .

At your service
BJ
Designer of all MP pedals but not affiliated with Red Cable nor Simble.com :hmmm:

chucker
Information

Post by chucker »

BJF wrote:Hi,

Well to make the DLX version it took a new pcb design with the things I wanted to do.

I am not at liberty to disclose the schematic for this one but you must take one apart and that'd be on you.

Hm modding a Sweet Baby I guess it could be done while Joyo........let's say they said onto me that they were inspired greatly, while I'd appreciate that I'd say they did get a few things wrong and that is why as I saw in the linked thread why I didn't think the Joyo sounded so much like the MP SHOD but I am talking small differences that anyone striking hard and downwards only never hear anyway- that is to say depending on your playing style somethings don't matter at all.

Here's what I can tell:
It has a pre distortion Bass control and a a past distortion boost and cut Treble control and a widened range of Focus control that really controls what is distorted more than anything else and it does that by limiting slew rate....
Furter more the distortion range was increased and total output increased a little bit.

Hey this is what feedback on the original units asked and so I drew what would be needed for a DLX version

I think the DLX version is a pcb version and should be cheap enough I guess- no I don't have one myself and only the proto I drew .

At your service
BJ
Designer of all MP pedals but not affiliated with Red Cable nor Simble.com :hmmm:
Thanks BJ.
That is awesome. Great hints!
My SHOD is my favorite overdrive. Watching the YouTube videos on the DLX, I could tell that the drive was a little hotter.
I guess I could play around with the Pre Bass and the Post Tone-Cut, a little.

Thanks for the tips!
BTW, your design's rock!

Thanks again!

Mantaray14
Information

Post by Mantaray14 »

I had a joyo laying around that I started modding. I found the mods in an older post on this forum. I increased the gain pot (100k if my memory serves me correctly), and a resistor change that reduces treble (you could replace with pot there I guess to act as a variable resistor). The bass mod, I wouldn't know. To be honest the best mod I made to my joyo was replacing the ic with the OP275 as used in the original. It just sounds too harsh to my ears with the chip joyo uses but I had to cut the darn smd thing out with a hobby knife. When I soldered the new chip in I was amazed that it still worked! Then I put the darn thing together and the stomp switch broke!

Elo
Information

Post by Elo »

Hi guys! Does someone have successful attempts? scheme? :roll:

omarhowe
Information

Post by omarhowe »

bump.

anyone???

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

I built the original sweet honey od and added the voice control from the zendrive. Very useful!