Friedman BE-OD Pedal  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
pakrat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pakrat »

I tried J0K3RX's suggestion for the impedance problem and it had little effect. I don't really see this as a problem since the original unit has the same issue, and it may be even less of a problem when these things are boxed so I'll check that after I put this thing back together. Now just waiting to see if anyone needs anything else checked against the original before I button it up.

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

I built it on a breadboard. I don't have BAV99's yet, so that's something. Make sure to get reverse log for the "tight" and the "bass", I used linear and its awkward to nail the spot- if not impossible actually.

The presence pot before the last LED clipping section still baffles me, but hey sounds ok. Compared to the be100 i have here, is only ok. Haven't tried the real od yet though so.

pakrat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pakrat »

bmxguitarsbmx wrote:I built it on a breadboard. I don't have BAV99's yet, so that's something. Make sure to get reverse log for the "tight" and the "bass", I used linear and its awkward to nail the spot- if not impossible actually.

The presence pot before the last LED clipping section still baffles me, but hey sounds ok. Compared to the be100 i have here, is only ok. Haven't tried the real od yet though so.
You have a BE-100? You lucky bast... ahem... dog! I haven't tried BAV99's, but 1N4148's seem to work fine. My build sounds pretty much identical to the real deal, but I doubt it will sound the same as the BE-100. That amp must be a blast to play through!

YellowBoy
Information

Post by YellowBoy »

pakrat wrote:Now just waiting to see if anyone needs anything else checked against the original before I button it up.
I think that's it. If you're happy to call it verified I'll post the final schematic and Alex will post his layout at TagboardFX.

pakrat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pakrat »

I'd say it's safe to call it verified. I just played with it for the last half hour or so and it's a great sounding pedal, very responsive and thick. To my ears it sounds identical to the original.

YellowBoy
Information

Post by YellowBoy »

Happy days! Thanks to all who contributed and especially to pakrat for adding the final pieces to the puzzle.

Cheers

Ciaran
Attachments
Friedman BE-OD Pedal [schematic v11]
Friedman BE-OD Pedal [schematic v11]

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

pakrat wrote:
You have a BE-100? You lucky bast... ahem... dog! I haven't tried BAV99's, but 1N4148's seem to work fine. My build sounds pretty much identical to the real deal, but I doubt it will sound the same as the BE-100. That amp must be a blast to play through!
haha I know. I'm an ex-amp tech and people drop amps of to me for storage(not sure how that makes sense) rmroza is a tech and has a be100 right now too. Maybe one of us will make clips. 1n4148 does seem close to the bav99 datasheet, thanks for the tip. I had a few mistakes and didn't even have the bav99 clipping hooked up. Now it Sounds absolutely killer. Not at all unlike the be100 tbh. Easily the best distortion box in the house. Even gets the pretty cleans with volume rolled off. I did build mine with the presence after the last clipping stage. I'll swap it to how the last schematic is and report back. Thanks for the hard work guys!

destro
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey Classic Series

Post by destro »

Glad to see this come to fruition. Been here a long time and it seems like it has been awhile since folks came together to complete a trace. :applause:

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

destro wrote:Glad to see this come to fruition. Been here a long time and it seems like it has been awhile since folks came together to complete a trace. :applause:
Hear, hear ! :applause:
Thank you all for your time and expertise. It's a real pleasure reading how you're doing this.
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

bool
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bool »

That presence/hardclip connection looks funny. (In theory) it would make much more sense if it was wired the "Rat way"; i.e. resistor to LEDs, then pot to the cap and so on.

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Thanks to everyone for this project!!!

What size are the red LED's?

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

bool wrote:That presence/hardclip connection looks funny. (In theory) it would make much more sense if it was wired the "Rat way"; i.e. resistor to LEDs, then pot to the cap and so on.
Totally agree bool. I have wired it up both ways and clipping after presence is not good.

pakrat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pakrat »

caspercody wrote:Thanks to everyone for this project!!!

What size are the red LED's?
I used 5mm red diffused LEDs.

bool
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bool »

bmxguitarsbmx wrote:
bool wrote:That presence/hardclip connection looks funny. (In theory) it would make much more sense if it was wired the "Rat way"; i.e. resistor to LEDs, then pot to the cap and so on.
Totally agree bool. I have wired it up both ways and clipping after presence is not good.
Ha!
That wouldn't surprise me at all.

yanxsatu
Information

Post by yanxsatu »

Someone who started a PCB yet ? Maybe a shared OSHPark PCB! ?

bool
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bool »

Imho it would be prudent to confirm what's going on with the circuit fragment around the presence control and the LED hard-clipper first before jumping to PCBs.

bugg
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Twin

Post by bugg »

yanxsatu wrote:Someone who started a PCB yet ? Maybe a shared OSHPark PCB! ?
I have a PCB layout worked up and ready to go, once there is a final word about the presence control I'll share the files and get some fabbed.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Somebody may have already mentioned this and I missed it.. has anybody applied 18v to this fuker yet? Another thing, has anybody tried a logarithmic for the gain pot? The trim pot is basically another gain pot of sorts, maybe make it external? Or, make 2 of the trim pots on a switch for 2 channels. I kinda agree with rmroza at the bottom of page 4 of this topic.. Needs a mid control and I think this thing can really be expanded upon. To me it looks mod ready :twisted: It would be cool to have a run of the stock boards too..

Anybody try it straight into a poweramp or record it direct with some impulses?

pakrat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pakrat »

J0K3RX wrote:
Anybody try it straight into a poweramp or record it direct with some impulses?

I plan to try impulses next week :twisted:

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

I know this is not a pedal or an amp in the physical sense but it's Friedman and sounds damn straight to me...
http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/guita ... ction.html