Zoom - UF-01 Ultra Fuzz  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Emanuele II
Information

Post by Emanuele II »

mine arrived yesterday! tonight I'll try it with my band.
Anyway yesterday I had some time to make some investigation. First of all there's a chip 2352D jrc wich actually is a charge pump. On the four op amps remaing 3 runs at 8.something Volts (the input voltage is filtered by a tranny) while the fourth one runs at 18V and I believe it's the final gain stage..
Another note, I had to change one of the pot (bass pot) it was one of those 5mm pots by alpha but the value was hidden, so I measured and it's 100k

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

James wrote:I might be selling this pair soon so I thought I'd get some pictures of the guts before I did.

Ultra Fuzz
Case Outer link
Case Inner link
Solder side in case link
Component side (whole board) link
Component side (top) link
Component side (bottom) link
Component side (angle) link
Pot leads rejoined link
Pot locations on the board (colour coded) link

Power Drive
Case Outer link
Case Inner link
Solder side in case link
Component side (whole board) link
Component side (top) link
Component side (bottom) link
Component side (angle) link
Pot locations on the board (colour coded) link

Excuse the cookery book, I didn't want to put it straight onto the patio but wanted to do it in natural light. The part labelled SW2 on the power drive (see the bottom component picture) is the switch, and the it fits inside the switch housing (see case inner picture).

Please man repost!!!!!!!!!! it´s are lost!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!!!!!!!

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

Emanuele II wrote:mine arrived yesterday! tonight I'll try it with my band.
Anyway yesterday I had some time to make some investigation. First of all there's a chip 2352D jrc wich actually is a charge pump. On the four op amps remaing 3 runs at 8.something Volts (the input voltage is filtered by a tranny) while the fourth one runs at 18V and I believe it's the final gain stage..
Another note, I had to change one of the pot (bass pot) it was one of those 5mm pots by alpha but the value was hidden, so I measured and it's 100k
Some PHOTOS please!!! and who have a scheme or layout repost!!!!!!!!!!!!

destro
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey Classic Series

Post by destro »

I think this was floating around at some time and was hoping that someone might have saved it to their hard drive. If so and you can send to me, I'd be very grateful! Thanks!!

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

bumping in case the pics could be re-uploaded. Thanks! :thumbsup

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

Cum´on please post or repost the links, someone had it?? :applause: :applause:

destro
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by destro »

I've got a dead board if anyone wants to reverse it. Too many surface mount components and between my lack of time and knowledge it is destined for the trash pile. Keeping the pots and enclosure for a custom fuzz factory.

...and my camera is no where new good enough to take detailed pics

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

destro wrote:I've got a dead board if anyone wants to reverse it. Too many surface mount components and between my lack of time and knowledge it is destined for the trash pile. Keeping the pots and enclosure for a custom fuzz factory.

...and my camera is no where new good enough to take detailed pics
Yes man I DO!!!! please please a photo of all!!!!!!!! :applause: :applause: part by part man; take your time, the best is natural light!! :wink:

destro
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by destro »

Again, my camera will not take detailed enough pics to be able to get a layout for it. The board is double sided, lots of smt components. If someone wants to give it a shot, shoot me your address and I will send it your way.

This should help give you an idea of what you'd be in for.

https://photobucket.com/images/zoom%20uf-01?page=1

mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Been on Bogner for quite some time now.
Completed builds: Over 1000 and counting.

Post by mirosol »

...Or better yet, post in on the forum. I've been after this one for a while too.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/
"No such thing as innocence" -Iron Chic

adapt
Information

Post by adapt »

if the offer is still open, i'd like the board.

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

adapt wrote:if the offer is still open, i'd like the board.
ME TOO!!! please repost the links!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

I've got one of these it's a cool pedal

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

LaceSensor wrote:I've got one of these it's a cool pedal
Please please man PHOTOS!!! :? internal all photos please please!!!! :shock: :shock:

adapt
Information

Post by adapt »

still waiting as to whether or not you're givin' that board away...

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

Me too still waithing for wethever are the lays, PHOTOS tripitas porfavor!!!! :cry:

whoisrobmay
Information

Post by whoisrobmay »

I recently came across the fantastic FacelessFX's Facebook page, and a while back Tim had traced and messed around with the UF-01. He posted a video of what he did here (https://youtu.be/4HfPtnjB4IA). I reached out to him and he was nice and gracious enough to send over the original schematic he traced out! So here it is attached to this post, let me know if there are any issues and I can post a dropbox link too.

Major thanks to Tim for tracing and sharing it! Now to figure out what changes he made... :lol:
Attachments
ZOOM UF-01.pdf
Zoom UF-01 Schematic
(55.49 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

whoisrobmay
Information

Post by whoisrobmay »

Hey all, I posted it in the requests thread too, but just for all you subscribed to this thread...

I recently came across the fantastic FacelessFX's Facebook page, and a while back Tim had traced and messed around with the UF-01. He posted a video of what he did here ( I reached out to him and he was nice and gracious enough to send over the original schematic he traced out! So here it is attached to this post, let me know if there are any issues and I can post a dropbox link too.

Major thanks to Tim for tracing and sharing it! Now to figure out what changes he made... :lol:
Attachments
ZOOM UF-01.pdf
Zoom UF-01 Schematic
(55.49 KiB) Downloaded 317 times

facelessfx
Information

Post by facelessfx »

whoisrobmay wrote:Hey all, I posted it in the requests thread too, but just for all you subscribed to this thread...

I recently came across the fantastic FacelessFX's Facebook page, and a while back Tim had traced and messed around with the UF-01. He posted a video of what he did here ( I reached out to him and he was nice and gracious enough to send over the original schematic he traced out! So here it is attached to this post, let me know if there are any issues and I can post a dropbox link too.

Hey. So you can see then Color control is a dual pot (CN1_a & CN1_b). CN1_a is fairly obvious in its effect, but I can remember not seeing the point in CN1_b.

The changes I made were it the power supply section. I added a clean path. Removed the FET switching and made it TTTTtrue Bypass. Changed the op amps to ones I could more easily find in DIP format. As they run on 5.5V in this pedal, it does make a difference between types. Especially IC5 as it's being starved by the Gate control.

I also worked on a switch to put it straight into oscillation (needs Gate, Reso, and Color changing value) but it was a pain.

They're so cheap to buy second hand that it didn't seem worth it to produce any, even with the modifications.

Hopefully the schematic can help anyone with a broken one. It's a simple trace and everything's easy to get at, so easy to fix.

Dolphin noises!

Cheers,
Tim

HamishR
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by HamishR »

I found a schematic for it on DIY Stompboxes but haven't been able to find a vero layout - I'm not equipped to design them myself! Not sure if it's cool to post a link but it's easy enough to find. I have an ultrafuzz and would LOVE a layout so I could play around with mods to it. I always thought of it as a more usable Fuzz Factory.