Disappointing "Boutique" Pedals....

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Re: Disappointing "Boutique" Pedals....

Postby ppluis0 » 18 May 2017, 23:28

jalmonsalmon wrote:Man... LOL And let me just say that is sexy!

The imagen was found searching the web and not belong to an FX build it by me.

I always prefer to mount every component into a board... INCLUDING THE TUBE !!!

Hope this photograph of one of my creations can be considered sexy also... 8)

ppluis0
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby deltafred » 19 May 2017, 00:00

ppluis0 wrote:Hope this photograph of one of my creations can be considered sexy also... 8)

I don't care what it sounds like, that is downright sexy! :applause:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 238 times

Postby HamishR » 25 Jun 2017, 13:13

You just can't generalise. I used to dislike Wampler pedals because I tried a few which i thought sounded truly awful - and still do. But then I tried a Ecstasy/Euphoria and I quite liked it. Now with the benefit of DIY I have tweaked it to suit me better and i really like it. Earth shattering? No, but it serves a purpose.

I'm also not a fan of BJF - his pedals are stupidly expensive. But I have used the Honeybee as a starting point for a pedal of my own and it's one of my favourite overdrives. Stock I'm not super impressed but he has some clever ideas. But as a starting point for your own pedals they can be amazing. I recently (yesterday!) bought a One Control Strawberry Red overdrive and it sounds a LOT like my version of the HB. Designed by BJF and it's a really great pedal. It uses SMD I'm sure and it sounds really good.

I have to agree about Catalinbread and Keeley - nothing of theirs does anything for me at all but I see no reason to start a thread about how crap they are. I suspect people here know what they do or don't like.

I come from a background of tagboard amp building. I love building these old school amps and rate good layout and lead dress. But not everything can be built this way, both from a practical viewpoint and a sales viewpoint. I believe that being able to build something which sounds great regardless of method is a skill. Build a fab sounding pedal from SMD parts? That's some skill. And it seems it can be done.
HamishR

Have thanks: 8 times

Previous

Return to Freestomp Café!