Friedman BE-OD Pedal  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
ballfire
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ballfire »

good day..and more power to those people here..

hey bugg thank you for the schematic..

Is this the schematic that sound like the 80s metal thing setting of friedman clone..??? i saw a youtube demo of friedman clone that sound like fuzz pedal and i dont like it.. other sound like really good like metal tone.. i like the metal tone sinister sound..its impressive..

thanks again i really appreciate it.. :D

bugg
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Twin

Post by bugg »

brddx1 wrote:Hey Bugg, may I ask what difference is between the 2 pcb versions? I just purchaced v1 with 1/8W resistors.
The new version uses 1/4W resistors because a few people had trouble sourcing 1/8W resistors (I get mine from Tayda), also the component placement was made a bit more symmetrical to satisfy my obsessive tendencies.

Aside from that, there is no difference... The tone, circuit, wiring, and control layout is exactly the same.

ragtime8922
Information

Post by ragtime8922 »

I used the first bugg board and it was tight with 1/4 resistors but worked fine. Which cap is causing the oscilation? I may switch in the new cap because there is a killer George Lynch tone to be dialed in with the oscilation but I don't want it all the time. I love this circuit.

Branimir
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si, Ross Compressor, Ross Distortion, DLS

Post by Branimir »

I used 470pF instead of 120pF, no oscillation whatsoever.
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

jalmonsalmon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jalmonsalmon »

Branimir wrote:I used 470pF instead of 120pF, no oscillation whatsoever.
I would socket that space and try different cap values

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

johnk wrote:i just finished one and it sounds great.
which layout was used for this?
nice one,thanks

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

alexradium wrote:its funny!
this layout is also different from your finished pedal!
i will check it out,thank you!
you're right! here's the one that i used for the pedal:
01- BDO PCB 125B .jpg
Attachments
0001-BDO Layout.png

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Summarized the thread in the first post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27775&p=259677#p259677
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Under "definite schematics" you link to the thermionic build doc, which shows silicon clipping diodes. And to a post by bajaman, where he states that only those zetex transistors can sound right, but it's schottkys in the attached schematics.

ballfire
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ballfire »

good day ..

i think the 120pf is not actually 120pf because by looking on the actual pictures on pcb board, the yellow capacitor seems look bigger..may be they tamper the label on it just to confused who may want to trace the actual pedal.. :hmmm:

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

roseblood11 wrote:Under "definite schematics" you link to the thermionic build doc, which shows silicon clipping diodes. And to a post by bajaman, where he states that only those zetex transistors can sound right, but it's schottkys in the attached schematics.
Yes, it's a mess... is there a more definite schematic available?
ballfire wrote:good day ..
i think the 120pf is not actually 120pf because by looking on the actual pictures on pcb board, the yellow capacitor seems look bigger..may be they tamper the label on it just to confused who may want to trace the actual pedal.. :hmmm:
it's voltage rating that determines the size of a capacitor...
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Frabbio
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Frabbio »

download/file.php?id=30088&mode=view
I built it using this schematic and i got no problem with oscillation with the 120pF cap, the pedal sounds really close to the demos using 2 x BAV99.
From what i gathered this schematic should be correct, the only missing components are 2x100nf capacitor used as decoupling cap for the opamps, but it works flawlessly even without them.

If someone else has built this version, please chime in and share your experience!

Frabbio
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Frabbio »

Single sided layout for Dirty Shirley+Friedman BeOd in a box, this layout has the best of both worlds, there are 7 pcb mounted pots so you can build a BeOD with a mid control, or a DS with a tight knob, as said before the only notable difference is R16 in my schematic (10k for BEOD, 27k for DS).

I used through hole ICs this time, but i kept the smd diodes (BAV99). If somebody is interested i can post the same layout with normal diodes.
Board dimensions are 115x40mm, it should fit in a hammond bb enclosure.
Layout still unverified but it should work.

If you build it please report if everything is working as intended.

Good DIY!
Attachments
schematic.png
printable layout 115x40mm.jpg
Layout.png

bugg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bugg »

Very nice, I have a similar board on order. Can't see any reason it wouldn't work.

I'm really not a fan of the toggle switch sticking out the side of the original DS.

mnemonic
Information

Post by mnemonic »

I got Bugg's PCB the other day, real quality board. I like how symmetrical the layout is. I both love and hate how compact it is... It looks great and I'm glad it fits so well into a 125b, but that compactness does make it a bit harder to work on. No big deal for experienced people but I can still count on two hands how many pedals I've built. I'll get there, I hope.

Worked perfect on the second try (I somehow managed to flip the reverse polarity protection diode). Really great sounding pedal!

(Please ignore the giant red 10n caps, didn't realise the ones I had were too big until I was already half way done, and I'm too impatient to wait for replacements)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Willypp
Information

Post by Willypp »

I might as well join in the fun. Here's my Bugg board with with a stripped Fetto on vero from the Sabrotone layout. When engaged, you can switch between the Fetto or the BE-OD, and there's a footswitch for switching between gain pots for the BE-OD. I used a 1n5 for instead of the 120p from memory. I have another of his boards to box up too. I run the trimmer flat out, and I'm not very convinced by it at lower gain, but love it cranked. Bit annoyed at that gain knob being out of line with everything else!
Attachments
22308907_1682826915113305_452739449047552910_n.jpg
22196106_1682826898446640_4492085524184968869_n.jpg

bucksears
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by bucksears »

I may have missed it, but is there a description of how to mod a BE-OD to add a mid control?

bugg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bugg »

bucksears wrote:I may have missed it, but is there a description of how to mod a BE-OD to add a mid control?
Take a look at the Dirty Shirley schematic, it's basically the same circuit with a Mid control instead of a Tight pot. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28654

The "Brown Betty" combines all of the functionality of both pedals into one.
http://www.pedalpcb.com/product/brownbetty/

Visualdistortion
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Laney
Completed builds: Many...

Post by Visualdistortion »

Hey,
I've used for the 1N5819 for diode instead of the BAV99 and it seems to be a great thing!
I wanna make it
I wanna make it wit chu
(again and again and again)

French... sorry ;)