smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine

Postby BetterOffShred » 03 Jan 2018, 17:31

Any hFE reports from a working (Consistent gate function) NPN version? :) I have been looking at this one for quite some time.
BetterOffShred

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » 03 Jan 2018, 20:13

BetterOffShred wrote:Any hFE reports from a working (Consistent gate function) NPN version? :) I have been looking at this one for quite some time.

honestly, i never really got super consistent results using the gate on with NPN germaniums which is why i very quickly switched back to PNP. it was only one small run where i used those and found a batch of particular NPNs that worked well enough but i wouldn't recommend them if you have the option to use PNP. ymmv of course!

For this message the author smallsnd/bigsnd has received thanks: 2
Addy Bart (08 Jan 2018, 01:18), BetterOffShred (03 Jan 2018, 22:25)
smallsnd/bigsnd

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby BetterOffShred » 03 Jan 2018, 22:25

Alright cool. I've been trying to buy one used for a while, almost had one on ILF but the buyer decided to keep it! ;) I play 7 and 8 string guitars a lot now and this fuzz just sounds so good with bass and ERG's so I'm kind of lusting after it again.

I have sacks of PNP germaniums lying around, but most are like 50-80 hfe. Thanks for the advice Hoss.
I also loved that text on one of your boards about adopting a kitty (think that was yours)
-Brett
BetterOffShred

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » 05 Jan 2018, 00:09

BetterOffShred wrote:Alright cool. I've been trying to buy one used for a while, almost had one on ILF but the buyer decided to keep it! ;) I play 7 and 8 string guitars a lot now and this fuzz just sounds so good with bass and ERG's so I'm kind of lusting after it again.

I have sacks of PNP germaniums lying around, but most are like 50-80 hfe. Thanks for the advice Hoss.
I also loved that text on one of your boards about adopting a kitty (think that was yours)
-Brett

hey you can always get one direct! :secret: :thumbsup :lol:
as for the PNPs, give those a shot - should be cool. yeah the kitty adoption was mine. as someone who has 2 cats from SPCAs, i can't recommend pet adoption enough.
smallsnd/bigsnd

Have thanks: 78 times

Previous

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...