Craig Anderton Frequency Booster and Questions

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
CGP
Information
my favorite amplifier: Egnater Rebel 30
Completed builds: Mosfet Boost
Muff Master
Mos-Face
Xotic EP Booster
CA Clarifier

Post by CGP »

Hi this is my first attempt at converting a schematic into a veroboard layout, I haven't built it yet but should be able to verify soon. Can anyone see any glaring errors?
Also I want to make the frequency variable, on this design in the book (DIY Projects for Musicians) it suggests using some sort of switching to change between capacitors for C1* and C2*, would it not be easier to replace R5 with a potentiometer (10k in series with a small resistor i.e. 330ohm to set upper limit and 100nF caps for C1* and C2*) or is this going to cause issues with the rest of the circuit? Any help much appreciated :D
Frequency Booster Schematic.jpg
CA Frequency Booster.jpg

kaycee
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by kaycee »

You might want to compare with this, shows how to do the cap switching, Maplins have the double pole switches.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... t.jpg.html

CGP
Information
my favorite amplifier: Egnater Rebel 30
Completed builds: Mosfet Boost
Muff Master
Mos-Face
Xotic EP Booster
CA Clarifier

Post by CGP »

Cheers for pointing me in the direction of this layout, I have tried my own version and it works fine as a fixed boost. Experimenting with the pot in place of R5 did not work though seemed to work as another gain control rather than frequency sweeper. Guess I will go with the rotary switch option for now..

limbe
Information

Post by limbe »

I used a miniature toggle switch,on-off-on 2poles for the booster.When the toggle is straight up,nothing is connected to the two poles in the middle.
That means that I could choose 3 of the 5 sounds that Craig suggested.I really don´t think I need more than that.It is also much cheaper than a rotary switch.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Sorry to pull out this old thread - but can someone help me to figure what the S1 switch does in that schematic? Can't figure at the moment. I'm also very happy I found this original schematic - was searching for the original for an hour without any success. Was too lazy to reverse engineer the general guitar gadgets layout. :/ I'm building me my own home brewed basic audio peak freq workalike with this.

Regards
Helge

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

With the switch open the circuit is just a flat buffer, the frequency boost is disabled.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

marshmellow wrote:With the switch open the circuit is just a flat buffer, the frequency boost is disabled.
Dankeschön! (Thanks!)

Nice. That's even better. So I can make the pedal buffered bypass which I would prefer anyway.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

If someone ever wants to build the booster with the GGG layout - there's something wrong with it I can't figure. http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/wp- ... ooster.pdf First error was easy to spot: in the transfer layout there's one connection missing between pin 1 and 2 of the op amp - but only in the transfer image. Weird. The second I haven't been able to spot. But it doesn't sound as vowel as the one I built up on vero using this layout (same cap value and caps): http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.de/2017 ... leper.html. Too bad. I don't like vero. I like tidy builts with a pcb.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Just in case someone wants to build a Peak Freq workalike. This is with what I ended up. Surely could be a more sophisticated design but it works as it is. The buffer /clean blend could have been done with a another op amp or by using a quad op amp. But I was lazy and wanted to keep it simple. Nicely fits into an 1590B enclosure. Hope I got the credits right. If not let me know and I'll change that.

Regards
Helge
Attachments
peak_frreq_workalike.png

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Reworked the layout making the power rail less complicated an getting rid of one jumper. Haven't verified it. But I don't see any reason why I shouldnt work.

Cheers
Helge

:slap: Edit: Forgot to update the trace cuts in the mirrored view: Just don't do the ones at A11 and B8 and add one at C9 in the mirrored view.
Attachments
peak_frreq_workalike_2.png

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Finished my work-a-like. It's a bit messy inside and the optics are such a rip off of the basic audio style. But I really like Johns pedal aesthetics and always wanted to copy some of his enclosure style. So yep, here we are and I'm pretty happy with it.

Regards
Helge
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-17 at 18.48.10.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-02-17 at 18.48.23.jpeg