Can I apply BSIAB2 mods to this "BE-OD" clone layout?

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
Ross T
Information

Post by Ross T »

I have built several BSIABII's and tweeked and played with many mods. One mod I liked on some of my BSIAB's was having the cap parallel with the 5.6k resistor off of Q5 to add some nice high end crunch and crispness. I was wondering where in this BE-OD clone circuit I could do the same thing? I am not sure it is even possible as I am still mostly a "paint -by-numbers" guy and so don't fully understand how a circuit flows.

Is it possible to adapt this mod that I liked on the BSIAB II http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... ab2_sc.pdf to my pedalpcb.com "BE-OD" http://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/ThermionicDistortion.pdf build? If so, where in the layout would I place?

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

totally different circuits,but in the BEOD you have so many eq controls that you can be able to easily replicate anything you want.

Ross T
Information

Post by Ross T »

Yes the Thermionic Distortion (clone of the BE-OD) does have good eq control, but this mod in the BSIABII is different than merely EQ settings. It seems to allow the high mids and treble to be pushed into clipping much easier for a real VH 1 crispness. and not so much of a post clipping boost to these frequency's like just using the standard tone controls. Since they are indeed very different circuits it may not be applicable, but it seems there should be some where in the BE-OD clone circuit to accomplish the same thing. Maybe not. I imagine I could get a similar result by pushing the higher frequencies into the BE-OD with an EQ pedal, but I would like to figure out how to tweek my build to to accomplish this internally