Cabsims... and even more cabsims

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

temol wrote:
also just populate 5150, waiting for 2n5458 jfet. fvckin rare here. :twisted:
5150 you say... still warm :)

T.
NICE! :twisted:

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Mooer has a new cabsim pedal coming out called Radar... If ii's in the same price range as all of their pedals then my guess is around $100. With the features packed into this little thing and the price it really makes me wonder why anyone would even want to tinker with building these 1 trick analog sims..?
http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201709227917.html

I kinda feel the same way about the preamp simulators. I think Mooer has probably the best preamp/amp simulators available today and the prices are just unbeatable... You can get an Engl Blackmoore, 5150/5153, JCM900, Diezel etc with all of the quality accuracy that you would find in an Axe-FX unit....

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Super sounding pedals, cheap... but where is the fun of diy? ;)

T.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

temol wrote:Super sounding pedals, cheap... but where is the fun of diy? ;)

T.
I get the diy thing, I love diy! If I didn't then why would I be here in the fsb forum... When I see the new stuff coming out it excites me and saddens me at the same time. The exciting part is that a person with very little money can get the sound of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment all in one or two little boxes.. The part that makes me sad is that it's not diy'able. The tiny percentage of musicians, guitar player that actually build their own pedals, amps and pedal builders this kinda sucks but for the vast majority it's a win win....

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Found this a long time ago, kinda old but this guy did a killer job!
http://speaker-sims.franknitsch.com/

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Yep, been there already :)

I have next four cabsims breadborded, almost ready to test. Almost.... Two working OK, but another one has suspiciously low output volume, last one is oscillating. All four designed by TrueVAL.

T.

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

I ran out of breadboard space :)
One cabsim on small board, three cabsims and one amp+cabsim on a large board.

T.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

As long as you know what the fuk is what it's all good... I breadboarded something on about 1/3 of the real estate as that and left it for a day, I came back to it and I swear some breadboard fairies came in and re-arrange some things... :scratch:

About 10 minutes of staring at it like a bewildered dog and that was the end of that shit!

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

J0K3RX wrote:Mooer has a new cabsim pedal coming out called Radar... If ii's in the same price range as all of their pedals then my guess is around $100. With the features packed into this little thing and the price it really makes me wonder why anyone would even want to tinker with building these 1 trick analog sims..?
http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201709227917.html

I kinda feel the same way about the preamp simulators. I think Mooer has probably the best preamp/amp simulators available today and the prices are just unbeatable... You can get an Engl Blackmoore, 5150/5153, JCM900, Diezel etc with all of the quality accuracy that you would find in an Axe-FX unit....
Thanks for the link,,Interesting pedal. :thumbsup

I got a little excited until I read the line *20/20 bandwidth*.
Worth note;
Years back I owned a Quadraverb which at the time was one of the most Expen$ive units on the market and also claimed 20/20 Bwidth.
Drove me nuts trying to work out why it never sounded quite right.
Long story short; By inserting a simple ANALOG Cab Sim directly After the Qverb it finally sounded convincing.
I don't know the terminology to use here but some of those digi circuits seem to introduce a lot of crud. The response curve might be right but the excess Bwidth seems to allow other crap to pass through which somehow interferes with the result. My cab sim trick did nothing if inserted *Before* the Qverb.
I have the same trouble with those all in one pedal boards. I recently repaired a Boss GT100 and found the same problem. I still have that very same Cabsim I built on perf board years back so I pulled it out from my bottom drawer and tried the same trick and sure enough it substantially improved the outcome. 8)
These are just my observations so YMMV.

Hey I know what you mean about the bewildered dog syndrome,, I've done the same thing a few times and had to start over. :slap:
Phil.

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

J0K3RX wrote:Mooer has a new cabsim pedal coming out called Radar... If ii's in the same price range as all of their pedals then my guess is around $100.
$150. There is a short demo by Ola Englund on

T.

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

temol wrote:
J0K3RX wrote:Mooer has a new cabsim pedal coming out called Radar... If ii's in the same price range as all of their pedals then my guess is around $100.
$150. There is a short demo by Ola Englund on

T.
Looks like That thing can do almost everything the two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. can do, but in a smaller and cheaper package!
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

But mom .. it is digital .. how to deal with it ...? ;)

ps. very tempting tiny device..

T.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

I hate when they give Ole these new toys to play with because usually they haven't been released for sale yet... That means
I gotta stand around with a throbbing boner and a fist full of cash waiting 3 to 6 months to buy! :evil:

OMG I want this!!!

OMG I want the GE200!!!

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

fun with cabsims.. part two

It took me some time to build, rebuild, debug this devices. But here I am... with 8 cabsims, seven of them completly new, and one already tested (I'll explain somewhere below).
I have made every effort to ensure that the devices work properly, according to the assumptions of the authors (frequency responses). Unfortunately they all are on a breadboards, with wires all around, so I'm not 100% sure that every device worked exactly the same way while recordings samples and frequency response measurements. These were two separate stages, during which I moved the breadboards, switched cables, etc..

Equipment - guitar, POD HD500x, audio interface, Reaper. POD settings: all the effects off, Engl preamp, cabinet simulator off, looper ON.
PODs looper used to record short sample, the played the sample through each cabsim. No further processing.

For the recording - visit soundcloud:

Sample #1 - no cabsim

Sample #2 - Simple Cabinet Simulator by TrueVAL. Very simple, single opamp.. yet good sounding.

Sample #3 - 4x12 Cabinet Simulator by TrueVAL. Not sure if this one works correctly. Probably not, judging by 5 kHz spike and the sound sample.
One potentiometer - low boost.

Sample #4 - ProSpector by TrueVAL. Three pots, LOW, HI, LEVEL.

Sample #5 - 4x12 Celestion Vintage 30 by TrueVAL.
For those interested in TrueVALs desings - somewhere on first page, there is a link to zipped archive with schematics (posted by J0K3RX).

Sample #6 - Speaker Simulator V30 by KMG. Suitable for 12V unipolar and bipolar power supply.
Schematic here [speaker simulator (V30)]

Sample #7 - V30 by KMG. It's a part of bigger device, micro power amplifier for line recording. Schematics here (version 2). 12V power supply. 10 opamps...

Sample #8 - cabsim by Lart. Schematic here.

Sample #9 - Lionsound LS14 cabsim. For the second time here. I had to debug the circuit, now it's working much better, still not perfectly.

And here's the battlefield...

T.

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

I just built the V30 simulator from the great KMG.

Someone else did up the vero, but I just verified it works. But, add a 1M resistor at beginning of circuit, and 100K at end to eliminate popping noise.

This is a great cab simulator!!! It has a small volume drop, which i am hoping someone here could help with?

Thanks
Rob
Attachments
v30mSchS.jpg
v30mSchS.jpg (17.04 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
Celestion_V30_Simulator.png

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Temol,

First, thanks for doing this, it helps a lot to hear all the different ones.

Do you have the schematic for the Lionsound LS14? I did find the schematic for the Lionsound 14.0 Dark Angel, but not sure where the cb sim starts. Thinking it is pin 5 of A1.2

Does anyone have any vero layouts for this one, orany of the ones from TrueVal, or Lart?

Thanks
Rob
Attachments
14.0 FINAL gain mod.jpg

RomYch
Information

Post by RomYch »

2 caspercody:
14.0 FINAL gain mod.jpg

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

caspercody - check my reply on DIYSB

T.

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Thanks Temol!!!!

Did your KMG V30 cab sim have a issue of being below unity volume? My build is slightly lower then unity volume, and I would love to get it up (volume that is). I tried increasing the voltage to 18vdc and 32vdc, but this had no improvements on volume.

Thanks
Rob

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

Here is a link to the great KMG v30 cabsim:
http://milas.spb.ru/~kmg/index_en.html

To increase output, change IC1b from a unity gain buffer to a non inverting amplifier. Will require two resistors and a capacitor.