smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
BetterOffShred
Information

Post by BetterOffShred »

Any hFE reports from a working (Consistent gate function) NPN version? :) I have been looking at this one for quite some time.

smallsnd/bigsnd
Information

Post by smallsnd/bigsnd »

BetterOffShred wrote:Any hFE reports from a working (Consistent gate function) NPN version? :) I have been looking at this one for quite some time.
honestly, i never really got super consistent results using the gate on with NPN germaniums which is why i very quickly switched back to PNP. it was only one small run where i used those and found a batch of particular NPNs that worked well enough but i wouldn't recommend them if you have the option to use PNP. ymmv of course!

BetterOffShred
Information

Post by BetterOffShred »

Alright cool. I've been trying to buy one used for a while, almost had one on ILF but the buyer decided to keep it! ;) I play 7 and 8 string guitars a lot now and this fuzz just sounds so good with bass and ERG's so I'm kind of lusting after it again.

I have sacks of PNP germaniums lying around, but most are like 50-80 hfe. Thanks for the advice Hoss.
I also loved that text on one of your boards about adopting a kitty (think that was yours)
-Brett

smallsnd/bigsnd
Information

BetterOffShred wrote:Alright cool. I've been trying to buy one used for a while, almost had one on ILF but the buyer decided to keep it! ;) I play 7 and 8 string guitars a lot now and this fuzz just sounds so good with bass and ERG's so I'm kind of lusting after it again.

I have sacks of PNP germaniums lying around, but most are like 50-80 hfe. Thanks for the advice Hoss.
I also loved that text on one of your boards about adopting a kitty (think that was yours)
-Brett
hey you can always get one direct! :secret: :thumbsup :lol:
as for the PNPs, give those a shot - should be cool. yeah the kitty adoption was mine. as someone who has 2 cats from SPCAs, i can't recommend pet adoption enough.

Addy Bart
Information
Completed builds: Shinei FY-2, D*A*M Meathead, Mid-Fi Electronics Deluxe Pitch Pirate, Clarinot, Demo Tape Fuzz, Random Number Generator, Wattson EFY-6, Smallsound/Bigsound Mini, DBA Reverberation Machine, Parasit Studio Raygun Youth, Vox Repeat Percussion, 1776 Multiplex Echo Machine, David Rolo Twin Peaks, Giant Hogweed, Devi Ever Soda Meiser, ZVEX Machine, SHO, Fat Fuzz Factory.

Post by Addy Bart »

Built this using MP38A transistors and I can get a wide variety of tones that sound great!

Just one question: the Gate function sounds like I remember it sounding (an ex-band mate had a TAFM on his board), but engaging it seems to max out the fuzz. Is this normal?

I used a BAT41 and a 1N5819 for the Shottkeys... I'm wondering if that could be the reason...

Appreciate any help offered. Cheers.

smallsnd/bigsnd
Information

Addy Bart wrote:Built this using MP38A transistors and I can get a wide variety of tones that sound great!

Just one question: the Gate function sounds like I remember it sounding (an ex-band mate had a TAFM on his board), but engaging it seems to max out the fuzz. Is this normal?

I used a BAT41 and a 1N5819 for the Shottkeys... I'm wondering if that could be the reason...

Appreciate any help offered. Cheers.
:thumbsup
as for the gate function - totally normal. it does indeed max out the fuzz.

BetterOffShred
Information

Post by BetterOffShred »

Well I built a stripboard of it, and it sounds fantastic. Does the fuzz knob only operate when the gate is on? I also built it with some 404's because my MP38's haven't arrived yet.. but they are all over 100hfe.. I may just order some mp35's .. can make custom Germanium Darlingtons with the rest ;) still don't get the dip switches.. mine won't run unless I have the top one on.. I may have an error.

Very awesome fuzz. It's everything I heard it was. Going to mess with the germs a bit before I box it up and see if I can get the gate to operate as intended. Great fuzz, really unique.

BetterOffShred
Information

Post by BetterOffShred »

I'm a dumbass. I had my Jfet pinned wrong.. now it has the buffer with 2 and 3 engaged. Love it. Also figured out I just had the gate switch off when I thought it was on .. need some lower gain NPNs.. Love this effect...

BetterOffShred
Information

Post by BetterOffShred »

I put MP38's in and it's huge as fuck. I bought a sack of MP35s too, but they haven't come yet so I'm waiting to see if there's a sweet spot for the gate portion. Great design, sounds fantastic. :applause: