Catalinbread - VariOboost preamplifier  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by apollomusicservice »

Catalinbread VariOboost preamplifier
Attachments
VariOboost schem.png
varioboost.jpg

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Now we need a layout for this. Wanted to try this for ages. But I'm not really good at doing layouts. :(

snofla1900
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by snofla1900 »

There has to be a 1st time for everything.

bugg
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Twin

Post by bugg »

HEAD wrote:Now we need a layout for this. Wanted to try this for ages. But I'm not really good at doing layouts. :(
http://www.pedalpcb.com/product/mercurialboost/

HamishR
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by HamishR »

Excuse my newb-ness, but what is the RX across the gain pot in the schematic? Is that why you made the gain pot 10K, Bugg? I might attempt a stripboard layout just for the hell of it - I already have a load of Bugg PCBs and very good they are too. :-)

apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by apollomusicservice »

HamishR wrote:Excuse my newb-ness, but what is the RX across the gain pot in the schematic? Is that why you made the gain pot 10K, Bugg? I might attempt a stripboard layout just for the hell of it - I already have a load of Bugg PCBs and very good they are too. :-)
It's option, in this case not in use.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Finished my clone this weekend. Love it so far. Very versatile booster or eq or both. Used a cheap eBay china 1590B enclosure (~4$) and cheap chinese knobs. The quality of both is surprisingly good. Love the raw sanded look of the enclosure. Overall design is heavily inspired by Mr Jon Lyons work as I really admire his style and artwork. So, one could say it's a tribute to his outstanding work. ;-)
Attachments
IMG-20180504-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20180504-WA0013.jpg

storyboardist
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by storyboardist »

HEAD wrote:Finished my clone this weekend. Love it so far. Very versatile booster or eq or both. Used a cheap eBay china 1590B enclosure (~4$) and cheap chinese knobs. The quality of both is surprisingly good. Love the raw sanded look of the enclosure. Overall design is heavily inspired by Mr Jon Lyons work as I really admire his style and artwork. So, one could say it's a tribute to his outstanding work. ;-)
Good looking build, HEAD!

fuzzbunny
Information

Post by fuzzbunny »

HEAD wrote:Finished my clone this weekend. Love it so far. Very versatile booster or eq or both. Used a cheap eBay china 1590B enclosure (~4$) and cheap chinese knobs. The quality of both is surprisingly good. Love the raw sanded look of the enclosure. Overall design is heavily inspired by Mr Jon Lyons work as I really admire his style and artwork. So, one could say it's a tribute to his outstanding work. ;-)
I like the look of your faceplate, is it laser engraved?

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

fuzzbunny wrote:
I like the look of your faceplate, is it laser engraved?
Nope, CEM1 copper clad and good ol' tone transfer etch using Fe(III)Cl. The oxidation of the copper is made with polysulfor and mustard.

fuzzbunny
Information

Post by fuzzbunny »

Cool, nice job!

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

fuzzbunny wrote:Cool, nice job!
Thank you,

really like this method of enclosure design at the moment. It's kinda of a poor mans way of having a custom laser engraved vinyl panel. Made some more with this https://www.dropbox.com/s/exftg663m6o1p ... 3.jpg?dl=0 The phaser with the toner left on and the fuzz pedal with oxidized copper surface. Only downside for me: I can't find a resource for CEM1 copper clad in Germany. Only sources I can find are in the US or Taiwan. The material itself isn't very expansive but the shippng is -.-. So if any of the European forum members do read this and do know a resource for CEM1 in Europe I'd be very thankful.

Cheers
Helge

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

HEAD wrote: Only downside for me: I can't find a resource for CEM1 copper clad in Germany. Only sources I can find are in the US or Taiwan. The material itself isn't very expansive but the shippng is -.-. So if any of the European forum members do read this and do know a resource for CEM1 in Europe I'd be very thankful.
50 pcs. 4" x 6" for 60$, including shipping - ebay offer. There is couple sources of CEM1 pcb laminate in Poland, but I doubt they ship outside PL. 1-2$ for a piece if I remember correctly.

T.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

temol wrote:
HEAD wrote: Only downside for me: I can't find a resource for CEM1 copper clad in Germany. Only sources I can find are in the US or Taiwan. The material itself isn't very expansive but the shippng is -.-. So if any of the European forum members do read this and do know a resource for CEM1 in Europe I'd be very thankful.
50 pcs. 4" x 6" for 60$, including shipping - ebay offer. There is couple sources of CEM1 pcb laminate in Poland, but I doubt they ship outside PL. 1-2$ for a piece if I remember correctly.

T.
Yeah, found the same. Problem with the none EU 60$ offer is: It's exceeding the tax free limit of 22€. Post 22€ you have to pay 19% vat and get to the customs office in person to pay that. In a nutshell: It's pain in the ***. Ordering from Poland a couple of boards wouldn't have these problems.

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

i built one using 'storyboardist's pcb layout mounted in a polished and etched 1590B with all top jacks. i used a center deytent pot for the 12db control so i'd know exactly where 'flat' is. IMO, it's a really nice utility pedal to have for guitar or bass:

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

Anyone have an idea of how the Q can be adjusted? Is there a single component that can be switched or made variable? TIA

luix
Information

Post by luix »

Ben N wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 11:13 Anyone have an idea of how the Q can be adjusted? Is there a single component that can be switched or made variable? TIA
It's the metal zone mid control, I should have a spice simulation, wait a bit and I'll tell you what is the frequency response of different capacitors... :D

This is the simulation with the gain at min and cut/boost, original 22nF cap.
cut.png
boost.png
This is the simulation with the gain at min and cut/boost but with metalzone value (50k pot, 22nF+8.2nF)
MT2_cut.png
MT2_boost.png
you can find some of my creation on instagram @ luixanalogdevices