Half Gain Switch on SuperFuzz

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
lespaulnmarshall
Information

Post by lespaulnmarshall »

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I've been building vero board clones for a while and have been a reader on the forum, as it's such a great information source.
Sorry if this is the wrong section for this question, but I wasn't quite sure where it belonged...

My next project will be a superfuzz. I know that basic audio builds a really nice superfuzz, and I thought his 1/2 gain switch is a great addition to the pedal. From the demos it seems like the superfuzz is really reactive to the switch and it allows for a bunch of tones you can't really get without it. I was wondering what the best way would be to go about adding such a switch to my build? Is it as simple as making the input resistor switchable? Or is there more to this? Is the switch likely to be elsewhere in the circuit?

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Thanks in advance,
Maurice

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Hi
welcome here :thumbsup

I'd say the simple way to reduce gain on the first stage is to put a second input resistor (say 100K for example) and switch between them.
To me it is really useful when the fuzz is used with high gain pickups, they sound best with their input level attenuated with a 100K/100K divider.
Otherwise I've found the original 22K perfectly suited for "vintage" low level single coils.

cheers.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Hi,

to get the half gain option with the superfuzz just make the 10µF cap from the Emitter of Q2 to ground switchable. Did that on mine. Works perfect. To turn of the octave I just put in a switch that simply jumpers Q4-Q5. It's a crude solution but works.

KR
Helge
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-15 at 21.31.08 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-15 at 21.31.09 (1).jpeg

lespaulnmarshall
Information

Post by lespaulnmarshall »

Thanks for the replies! I will try both methods!