Joyo Ultimate Octave: how to make it useable?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.

Re: Joyo Ultimate Octave: how to make it useable?

Postby Chrisfromiowa » 03 Jan 2018, 22:16

jneilson wrote:I have a Voodoo Octave I plan on modding. While I'm working on it I was wondering if it would be possible to modify the tone control to use an expression pedal with it? It gives a nice swooshy sound when you turn it back and forth.

Not sure if you'd seen this, but http://www.geofex.com/ has a nice segment about adding expression pedal jacks etc...
Chrisfromiowa

Have thanks: 0 time

Fluffed it

Postby jdom84 » 15 Feb 2019, 14:04

Well my sad story is.. I actually thought it sounded ok but thought maybe it would sound better after the mod. After frustrating time playing around I now have a broken pedal.

I reversed the polarity and it seemed to make no difference at all except the sound would cut out when pressing the octave button. So I thought I would put them back the right way. One or two botch jobs later and now it works in bypass and does nothing when activated into fuzz mode. So I just killed my pedal.

Sad really considering I thought it sounded fine already. It looked the same as the photos people posted of the insides, as in the "wrong" polarity supposedly. But as I say reversing did nothing if anything it made it worse. Is it possible I have the right polarity? My PCB is dated 2010!!! So nearly 10 years old! Crazy..

Well now I have two broken fuzz pedals from my botched work, maybe I should give up... I would like to get these working. I guess I need to work on my soldering skills.

Regards,
Dom.
jdom84

Postby alexradium » 15 Feb 2019, 14:11

yes,Joyo pedals are pretty good copies of originals,but not modder friendly,you need skills and good desoldering tools,otherwise its easy to damage traces and holes,they are very thin and small.
alexradium
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby jdom84 » 15 Feb 2019, 15:07

Hi thanks yeah I guess so. Anyway I managed to get this working again back to how it was with the original polarity. I had burned the PCB board and the caps were not contacting the pcb metal wiring. I just scraped the holes to make it stick and added loads of solder! :-) Filled the holes and got it working again. Maybe one day I will try once I have mastered my skills and bought some better equipment.

I wondered has anyone come up with a solution for the high pitched whining sound I am experiencing whenever the pedal is engaged? Constant. I am on DC psu havent tried with batteries yet but apparently it gets rid of the noise. Any way to fix this with some simple soldering? Considering I have all my kit out and its dismantled still (but works! :-) )

Thanks.
Dom.
jdom84

Postby alexradium » 15 Feb 2019, 18:08

if there is whistle your supply is not really good,anyway,try inserting a 100 to 470 ohm resistor between the positive voltage in input and the main filter capacitor,that should cure most of the problems.
alexradium
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby jdom84 » 15 Feb 2019, 18:45

alexradium wrote:if there is whistle your supply is not really good,anyway,try inserting a 100 to 470 ohm resistor between the positive voltage in input and the main filter capacitor,that should cure most of the problems.

Hi thank you. But I do not have this issue with any other pedals? The power supply is decent quality from amazon with good reviews. I doubt it is the PSU.
I will try the capacitor idea, filter cap? Is that the first one the power meets as it comes in?

Thanks so much for helping me.
jdom84

Postby jonathandean » 18 Sep 2019, 00:51

I've been following this thread for years and have finally got round to cracking mine open, as I had to replace the fat/bright switch

The two caps off the switch in mine (possibly 10 years old, I forget) are 3n3 and 15n, so I'll leave them alone. I will swap over the two box caps in the wrong places

To replace the 10u "reversed" electrolytics I have either 10u non polarised electrolytics or 10u ceramics - what would people advise?

Thx all
jonathandean

Previous

Return to Pimp-My-Cheap-Pedal