Keeley - Katana

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

I did a search and saw the thread where Bajaman posted this link to a schematic, so I'm not sure if it actually is the keeley katana or not (the schem suggests it's similar?) so verification would be cool if anyone can do/has a real one?

based on it I ran it into eagle and came up with this schem/pcb/overlay. totally unverified, and I don't have any software to check it.. anyone here have that? will have a go at breadbording it, but waiting on some parts from overseas :(

anyway... very new to the eagle schem->pcb stuff so I'd be delighted for anyone to share their comments/corrections/suggestions on it.
Attachments
sm-schematic.jpg
sm-schematic.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 7884 times
sm-pcb-overlay.jpg
sm-pcb-overlay.jpg (27.11 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
sm-pcb-mono.jpg
sm-pcb-mono.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 7743 times
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

No it's not the Katana boost, it'a DIY project from a magazine. For better tone swap the MPSA18 for a BC413C.
IMHO the Katana is not that different from this booster.

JHS

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I would get that Drain trimmer OUTTA THERE! and just have a fixed resistor of about 4K7 on the Drain. I would put the biasing trimmer on the Source where it belongs... i.e.; replace R2 with the 5K trimmer. Other than that, it looks okay; I'd maybe try to squeeze things tighter together in the PCB layout.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

soulsonic wrote:I would get that Drain trimmer OUTTA THERE! and just have a fixed resistor of about 4K7 on the Drain. I would put the biasing trimmer on the Source where it belongs... i.e.; replace R2 with the 5K trimmer.
okay - I'll make those changes tonight at home - thanks
soulsonic wrote:Other than that, it looks okay; I'd maybe try to squeeze things tighter together in the PCB layout.
yeh, like I said, pretty new at this eagle, and it was past my bedtime when I got to this stage :D , but I agree I need to tighten it up on the PCB, thanks...

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

JHS wrote:No it's not the Katana boost, it'a DIY project from a magazine. For better tone swap the MPSA18 for a BC413C.
IMHO the Katana is not that different from this booster.

JHS
so besides the BC413 what else would you suggest?
I'm hoping you say something I have already :wink: or something that futurlec.com.au stocks cos I want to get some MAX1044's from them in the same order (can't find any other australasian distributor that has max1044 unless they're smd which wont work for a ham fisted meat axe like me :lol: )

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: AC30

Post by JimiB »

I have some really good pics of a Katana if anyone is interested I will post them. I would love to get this r.e.'d as it a killer boost

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

JimiB wrote:I have some really good pics of a Katana if anyone is interested I will post them. I would love to get this r.e.'d as it a killer boost
do it! I'm happy to have a go, then somebody can tell me what I did wrong :lol:

eleanor296
Information

Post by eleanor296 »

bring on the photographs! I want to know what's in there too!

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by JimiB »

pics
Attachments
board3smaller.jpg
board2smaller.jpg
board1smaller.jpg
guts1smaller.jpg

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by JimiB »

more pics
Attachments
boardsmaller.jpg
whole pedal smaller.jpg
guts3smaller.jpg

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

you beauty! any chance you could ID the transistors?
I'll have a go (my first) at this .. and see what I can get right...

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

okay, so here's a quick overlay before I try to RE anything... there's a few spots I can't quite make out.

any chance you could clarify (or take pics with different light on) the areas I've highlighted in orange? there's 5 of them with orange arrows pointing at them
the red trace is the component side trace, yellow is offboard wiring.
Attachments
oranges.jpg
oranges.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 7820 times

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by JimiB »

this is my only other gut shot - if higher rez would help on the other 2 I could crop a little or email them to ya full size. I am also goon post a scan of my notes. I just ran out of time on this (and everything else fun for the last 6 months but I am almost done with the nightmare project)
Attachments
katana notes.jpg
guts2smaller.jpg

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by JimiB »

cropped guts
see if that helps - I didn't size em down so that should be full rez.
Attachments
guts3cropped.jpg
guts1cropped.jpg

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

thanks JimiB. I will keep at it.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

We can assume from what's going on here that the MAX1044 is being used as a voltage doubler... but there are details I can't see well, and some stuff looks strange - like the negative voltage output of the chip (pin 5) is being shorted to ground; that doesn't seem good, but maybe it's not actually shorted to ground but is instead acting as a floating ground for the rest of he circuit to give a wider possible voltage swing? :hmmm:
it's hard to tell without being able to see all the tracks.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by JimiB »

what do we need to see better? I will see if I can figure it out - or get more pics or something

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

It would be nice to be able to see the component side of the board from the opposite angle; there are details of the board surface that are hidden behind components right now. A shot straight on from above would be nice, and shot with no flash would be super.

How have you come along with it, Rocklander? I haven't been tracing it, just looking to make sure all the details are there.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

to be honest.. pretty poorly. I can post the eagle schem I have so far, but it's not connected up really.. just kinda three parts I can see that do connect.

that particular pot is confusing me too cos it has like 9 lugs I can see do it's not just a double gang is it.. not sure what component to put in there from eagle :oops:

like I said, I have a basic start that I could put up so far in case anyone can add improvements or see bits I can't? lemme know.

[edit] bugger it, I'll post what I have in case it of use at all, but in need of a LOT of work so far
(I just need to add the actual *sch file, right? don't need al the #number files too?)[/edit]
Attachments
from-pics.zip
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 693 times

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by JimiB »

the pot is a dual gang push pull. the pull "clipping" mode dosent sound good to me so I don't care about that bit myself.