MCB - Super Treble (Italian 60s Rangemaster clone?)

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Allegedly a 60s Rangemaster clone by an Italian company.... but I can find nothing on this MCB ... and there is nothing I can see that would make this the joke of the year.

3 resistors 3k9, 470k and 68k
2 electrolytics DUC...ati ?
OC45

Will sound like a Rangemaster I think...

AG, she's all yours! :mrgreen:

Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

I´ve seen that 5 days ago on evilbay. This unit (or a similar one) has been on evilbay several months ago.

What is funny on that unit is that it uses the same construction as the rangemaster - which is not the best.
I don´t know why they didn´t improve it a little bit. If they wanted to sell a clone, I don´t know why the outside look is so far away from the original.

It´s also remarkable that two of the resistors dont have a tolerance band. The input cap is 4n7 output cap is 10n. The transistor appears to be the metal-case version which was produced after the glass-housed OC45.

With those junk-resistors and no Rangemaster outfit I don´t know why they didn´t use a better transistor with less noise. Maybe only a few have been made from a solder-jockey at the kitchen table.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

the abbreviartion and the background.. I'd almost say Andrew "Morecowbell" Carell is somewhat older than we think! :mrgreen:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:the abbreviartion and the background.. I'd almost say Andrew "Morecowbell" Carell is somewhat older than we think! :mrgreen:

:applause:

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

MoreCowbell wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:the abbreviartion and the background.. I'd almost say Andrew "Morecowbell" Carell is somewhat older than we think! :mrgreen:
:applause:
[smilie=dancing_cow.gif]
Come on, Andrew, just admit it -- [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... 0325700641
according to the guy on ebay it is. looks more like an MCB Super Treble like it says on the box.

could it be the elusive key to the Mick Ronson sound? or is this guy just pulling our chain for 1.5 grand?

either way that's a damn large poly cap. and it looks like it could easily be traced.

anyone??
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

That auction is worded very misleadingly. It's clearly not a real Dallas Rangemaster; it's an Italian knockoff.
Since when is a contemporary knockoff worth the same as an original? It might be a cool pedal, but I can't possibly see how it can have the same collector's value as an original.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

yeah, uh, $1,750? i don't think so.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

OC75
Attachments
MCB Treble Booster 01.jpg
MCB Treble Booster 02.jpg
MCB Treble Booster 03.jpg
MCB Treble Booster 04.jpg
MCB Treble Booster 05.jpg
MCB Treble Booster 06.jpg
MCB Treble Booster 07.jpg
MCB Treble Booster 08.jpg
MCB Treble Booster 09.jpg