Stephan Möller AC30Simulator

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

Anybody has the schematic of this very interesting amp simulator?

It seems to be no more available at the internet sites it used to be...

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i've been interested in this as well. i've been really jonesing for an AC30 tone, and don't have the cash for a new thousand dollar amp at the moment. want to try some AC30 sims, and this one sounds like it could be really good.

apparently the design was bought and is now a proprietary holding of some company?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

The circuit was purchased by T.C. Electronic.
People who got copies of the original from Stephan when it was still available had to sign a legally-binding non-disclosure agreement regarding the values of the circuit.
That is why you won't find it here or any place else. Sorry, but Mr. Möller was very smart about how to bind people not to share his IP. This is part of the reason why I have no sympathy for the crying bootweaker babies who don't know how to legally protect anything and then throw a fit when it gets exposed.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

soulsonic wrote:The circuit was purchased by T.C. Electronic.
People who got copies of the original from Stephan when it was still available had to sign a legally-binding non-disclosure agreement regarding the values of the circuit.
That is why you won't find it here or any place else. Sorry, but Mr. Möller was very smart about how to bind people not to share his IP. This is part of the reason why I have no sympathy for the crying bootweaker babies who don't know how to legally protect anything and then throw a fit when it gets exposed.
How does this stop someone from reversing one and posting the info on the web?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

Whoismarykelly wrote:
soulsonic wrote:The circuit was purchased by T.C. Electronic.
It's not that easy. As far as I know, no hardware versions of this unit have ever been sold. Which means that the only ones available to potentially reverse engineer are the ones built by hobbyists who signed the non-disclosure agreement. So, I'm sure it would be in violation of that agreement for one of those said hobbyists to show gutshot pics which would expose the details of the circuit. I also believe it would be in violation of the agreement for any of those people to sell their units.
You would have to be very sneaky to find a convoluted way to do it without putting one of the hobbyists in jeopardy of being in violation.
The only legitimate way to obtain it now would be to ask T.C. Electronic for permission to publish it. There is a chance they may say yes, since they never pursued a hardware version of it.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

That´s a real good question....Anyway, here is your chance to reverse it from the original prototype unit:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

flood
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by flood »

1. very expensive
2. (probably) all smd
3. used more widely used as a TC powercore software plugin (a.k.a reverse this!)
4. i've never really seen one in physical form :scratch:

i might add that the thing sounds so spot on it's unreal, judging from whatever clips i've heard off the net. möller seems to have been an EE from a german armed forces technical university, and has some stuff on the net regarding non-linear transfer functions, tube transfer function simulation and the AC30.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.

moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by moltenmetalburn »

Still no values but get a copy while you can, maybe some of you EEs can guesstimate.

http://www.keyboardpartner.de/hammond/d ... C30sim.pdf
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"

KB
Information
my favorite amplifier: JMP50
Completed builds: Not in any particular order: Tweed delux, JMP50, 1987
Blue box, King of clones, Neovibe, P90, Cupcake, little green wonder, Honey bee, Fulldrive, lovetone brown sauce, Mayo type bigmuff, fuzz factory, box of rock, super hard on corel chorus.
PT80 x2

Post by KB »

Hi

Sorry I cannot help with the missing values.

I went as far as making up the boards from the Geo layout, for this project. Only then did I try to contact Stephan Möller to get a copy of the none disclosure agreement and missing component values. Only to find out that it had been pulled about 18 months previously and the values were no longer available. :roll:

Moral of the story, check that it possible to complete the project before wasting Money, time and effort :slap:

To console myself I built a ROG English Channel, but it doesn't sound like the Stephan Möller AC30Simulator.

Kevin

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

I didn't know about legal implications...

Antway, I'm very interested in AC30 distortion and working in a brazilian forum to work othe ROG MayQueen in order to achieve a more Brian May AC30 + treble booster distorted sounds. I looked after any smart trick to get the right direction to te sound. We all know that MrMay sound is a number of things resulting in his very personal signature sound. But the nature of the distortios is very close to some of the circuits I tested.

A shame we can't find the schematic, but this topic shows some lght to the matter.

Deric
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Deric »

Try not to be a dick when speaking about others; try not to be pussy when others are speaking of you.

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

EDIT: never mind....

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Man, that looks really interesting; I wish I had the knowledge to knock something like that.

There's got to be someone out there who isn't bound by the agreement, no?
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

yes, very interesting. what really gets me about the ac30 type tone is not really the top boosted stuff, but when the gain is really piled on, it has a very fuzzy tone with an emphasis on the mids. kind of like the mid boost clip of the TC box. i've been thinking of trying to capitalize on this by designing a germanium fuzz and using ac30 type filtering in between stages. if i were to try this, what would the advantage of the scaled version above be rather than the stock ac30 values?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

I think it sucks less signal level... That's what I experienced swaping one for another...

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Times change, the original object of using an AC30 was to have a loud, clean sound, preferably with a Watkins Copycat in front!!

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

Well, the same knife May save or kill.

It's a multiface tool, I suppose...

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

Oh, there you go. Looks like I was mistaken.
Now, someone just buy one so we can trace it. :P

nickthemen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nickthemen »

I have the schematics with the right values , maby?? there is a way i can share it with you, there must be !

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

nickthemen wrote:I have the schematics with the right values , maby?? there is a way i can share it with you, there must be !
Be careful! You don't want to get in any trouble over something so small!