Stephan Möller AC30Simulator

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
flood
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by flood »

soulsonic wrote:
nickthemen wrote:I have the schematics with the right values , maby?? there is a way i can share it with you, there must be !
Be careful! You don't want to get in any trouble over something so small!
+10000!!!!
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

flood wrote:
soulsonic wrote:
nickthemen wrote:I have the schematics with the right values , maby?? there is a way i can share it with you, there must be !
Be careful! You don't want to get in any trouble over something so small!
+10000!!!!
Only keyboardpartner could get in trouble if Moeller has the money or the interest to sue, for the rest, stop fantasizing. Just post values if you have them....

That it was online once and he tries to restrict access now only shows a thorough misunderstanding of the internet. But what's new...
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Sorry, but there are some inaccuracies I want to correct and some points I have to disagree:
Only keyboardpartner could get in trouble if Moeller has the money or the interest to sue,
That´s wrong - Moeller is not the copyright owner of the file which can be downloaded from there. It can be clearly seen that the whole file with the words, tables, drawings was created by R.G. Keen. Therefore he is the copyright owner and the only one who can sue.
That it was online once ....
The component values in full were never online....
Stephan showed on his homepage the theory behind it and which effect different values will have. A skilled technician maybe could estimate the comonent values from that.
That it was online once and he tries to restrict access now....
That this was online once doesn´t mean that it must be online forever. And if he decides to withdraw it later is his good right - he is still the copyright owner of his homepage and his explanations he made there.

Nobody else is allowed to republish it without permission, even if the copyright owner makes his work available for free for individual use or to gain interest from possible customers.

Therefore when Boss makes a picture of his new pedal, Boss is the copyright owner of the picture. If Boss grants his dealers to use the picture, it is thereby not included, that everybody else is allowed to use this picture too. You can lnik to the picture but you cannot install it on your homepage and act like the picture has been taken by you. For this reason you have (somewhere written between the lines) to sign a contract with photobucket, ebay (and others) that you accept to transfer the copyrights to them when you post pictures there.
....tries to restrict access now only shows a thorough misunderstanding of the internet.
Indeed there seem to be a lot of misunderstandings about that.

(At least by european law) you achieve the copyright when you finish your work. You don´t need to apply somewhere or even make a copyright note. Application only helps you to proof easier that this is your work - there are other ways to do it too. The copyright note does basically the same and additionally it is (only) for the stupid ones who don´t know enough of (copyright) law.
The copyright (only) expires 70 years after the death of the creator from it´s own.

BTW, it is allowed to make copies (in limited small amount) from copyrighted work ON DEMAND (only) for somebody else as long as it is free of charge (except your own costs for the copy, paper).
If you offer copyrighted work on your homepage it is not "on demand", but if your buddy requests you to send him a schematic by e-mail it is "on demand" because he has to ask you first.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

nickthemen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nickthemen »

So if someone send me a private massage with a request, i can send them a copy, right?
Or it would be more nice to ask stefan himself.
As long i am not sure i dont send anything boys, i am sorry.
I did not build the ac30sim myself because i didnot like the soundsamples back in 2000, but i think the cirquit is very nice for experiment.

jupagblkxten
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jupagblkxten »

nick-

in a nutshell...

if you signed a non-disclosure agreement you can't send it to anyone, i believe. if you didn't, you're pretty much free to send it to whomever you wish. if it is the original or copyrighted schematic, you cannot post it here. if you have redrawn it, then you're free to upload it at will.

please, anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

nickthemen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nickthemen »

Thanks! I did sign....

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Copyright is not what is the problem here, it's more the non-disclosure agreement which seems to protect even just retyping the values. When I said 'internet' maybe I should have said 'private and public internet', email and internet.

Make no mistake: copyright owners & laywers should address their letters to admin@freestompboxes.org

But why not drop the whole matter and build a real AC-30?
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

But why not drop the whole matter and build a real AC-30?
:applause: :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
I agree with modman!!!
boris

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Because the cost of physio after lifting it a few times is prohibitive :lol: :lol: :lol:

nickthemen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nickthemen »

I wil post the permitted ones anyway as for study its helpfull as building blocks.
Attachments
sp sim
sp sim
pre amp
pre amp
pwr amp
pwr amp
Image131vox.gif (11.68 KiB) Viewed 3674 times

HENK
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by HENK »

modman:
The Amp: Roundabout 500,-
The Speakers: Roundabout 650,-...
??????

scott1568
Information

Post by scott1568 »

KB wrote:Hi

To console myself I built a ROG English Channel, but it doesn't sound like the Stephan Möller AC30Simulator.

Kevin
I built the English Channel too. One thing is for sure, it won't make your Blackface Fender sound like a Vox- not enough mids.

It sounds good through a El-84 based amp though (on the clean to slightly dirt settings), but it can't do the Blizzard of Nails thing-it gets kind of farty. I happen to have a Marshall BB from GGG that I built. I put that in front of the English Channel and it got closer.

So if you have one, you might want to give that a try. But by the time you buy all these things, you can pick up an AC15cc used I guess.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

scott1568 wrote:[
I built the English Channel too. One thing is for sure, it won't make your Blackface Fender sound like a Vox- not enough mids.
fooling around with a transistor based ac30 amp circuit, this is what i have also found. at least the top boost channel. haven't tried the regular channel yet. it's only a cap change so i'll do it soon.

maybe that's what all the inductors are for in the Moller design?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

just remembered. the ac30 uses inductors in the original design, right?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

RnFR wrote:
scott1568 wrote:[
fooling around with a transistor based ac30 amp circuit, this is what i have also found. at least the top boost channel. haven't tried the regular channel yet. it's only a cap change so i'll do it soon.

maybe that's what all the inductors are for in the Moller design?
The inductors are part of the speaker simulation filter.

The AC30 simulator isn't designed as a stompbox. It's designed to be a direct recording unit to take the place of an amp.... like a Line6 POD, but not digital...
If you want to use it as a stompbox distortion, I think you'd need to re-evaluate the entire design.
I know you guys are talking about the English Channel, but I'm just saying this now in case anyone thinks the AC30 Simulator would make a great dirt box... that's not what it's designed for.

Maybe we could start on a new design that uses these concepts but IS designed to use as a AC30-sounding dirt box? :hmmm:
I think it would be a cool idea and not step on Mr. Möller's toes.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

I think it would be great used in some kind of HiFi amp. If it has enough output to feed a power amp, you can use it as a a preamp with its chacteristic power amp timbre capabilities feeding a HiFi solid state power amp, and give up the speaker simulator stage (leaving it just for direct recording). At the end you can put a nice sound speaker, or two as the real thing, and a nice cabinet.

omni
Information

Post by omni »

Found this bit of info online
Attachments
ac30.pdf
(73.94 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
Moeller_measurement_nonlinear.pdf
(671.56 KiB) Downloaded 489 times

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

Great!!!

KHELSTROM
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by KHELSTROM »

What are the values in the LCR part of the speaker sim?

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

Re. the sound of the AC30Sim- The original sound clips did not sound that good IMO. Very dry and fizzy. But I think that was probably due to the speaker simulator, which was nothing more than a typical active filter speaker sim arrangement. Maybe through a p.a. or guitar amp it sounds good. Maybe through an impulse response speaker sim it sounds better.

Still, it's a hell of a lot of work for "emulating" a simple tube circuit. It's the typical story as far as that is concerned. By the time you get done messing with something like this you could have easily built a good sounding guitar amp. You can easily do a 10W AC30 with 2 6BM8's, SS rect and "sag" power resistor, 1 12ax7, and a MOSFET for the voltage follower to drive the tone stack. Check out my "Cirrus" amp for this kind of take on the AC15. All you need is the top boost preamp in place of the EF86 preamp. You could easily put a normal channel on it too and use the other half of that 12ax7 for the follower instead of a MOSFET. For ideas on how to do that preamp with the MOSFET check out my "Dragonfly".

My amp stuff is here: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DougH/amp/

My advice is if you like a certain amp- get into amp building. It's a lot of fun and there are a lot of hobbyists doing it, just like pedals. Save your money for parts and build that amp you always wanted. You'll get it done faster and be happier with the result than with some solid state "tube emulation".
"You have just tubescreamered or fuzzfaced yourself " -polarbearfx