Scales?

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Cambridge 30 R Twin
Completed builds: Clyde McCoy Wah with Whipple+Red Fasel inductor switch, Fuzz Face with own layout

Post by kierc »

The scales around pots/knobs that is..
Anybody know how to make them? or even have ready to use flat images of some nice ones?
I've seen the scale-o-matic site (http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Scale.html), but they're pretty standard looking..

I don't even know what to search for to find them!

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

I would try with Inkscape. It's vector graphics, scriptable, and best of all Free Software.
I used once the "grid generator" feature, maybe some kind of polar-coordinates grid could be a good start.
http://www.inkscape.org/
I only give negative feedback.

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Clyde McCoy Wah with Whipple+Red Fasel inductor switch, Fuzz Face with own layout

Post by kierc »

Downloading now 8)
Looks pretty good, I have Illustrator but this looks like it can do alot!
and wooo it's for OS X aswell! haha :lol:

Will report back with how I get one :wink:

Thanks for your help!

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by kierc »

Well, I couldn't handle Inkscape very well.. just so different in every way! lol

I managed to make one in Illustrator though... I just drawn a verticle line, copied and pasted it ontop of the original (Cmd+F), then in the Transform box rotated it by 30 degrees, then done this 11 times to create a full circle of lines - cut the bottom 2 to leave you with a 300 degree shape and do what you will with it from there!

I had a quick test print with one and it lines up with the pots' rotation great :wink:

If this don't make sense and anyone is interested, I'll post my example or something :)

Cheers for the help anyway 8)

KHELSTROM
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by KHELSTROM »

Hey Kierc,
Here is a link to a tutorial I found for creating scales with Adobe Illustrator.
http://www.illustrationetc.com/AIbuds/D ... lTicks.pdf

It's a great start for learning how to make dials, scales or whatever you call em and once you grasp the principle idea you can expand on it and your creativity is the limit.