D*A*M - Red Rooster

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

Anyone has information about this booster ?

The soundclip presents on D*A*M website is great.

I think it's just a treble booster using Ge transistor but the "range" pot seems to be different and more fun than a simple selector switch for input cap.

sonicvi
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by sonicvi »

It's an NPN Rangemaster (CV7112) and the range pot probably just pans between two input caps. I don't know the value of the caps.

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

sonicvi wrote:It's an NPN Rangemaster (CV7112) and the range pot probably just pans between two input caps. I don't know the value of the caps.
Hi,
Two years ago I modded my Rangemaster clone by inserting a pot and a second higher value cap at the input.Instead of panning between the two caps the pot simply adds the higher value cap to the value of the first one thus allowing more mids to pass through the input of the circuit. I got this idea from Joe Gagan`s Easy Face. My values are 100K linear Pot , 0.0056 uf for the first cap and 0.022 uf for the second one! Of course cap values can be different according to the specific needs of the builder!

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

So, something like this :

?

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

Yes, exactly! :D

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

ok thanks.

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

Saw this on the BYOC board yesterday
Hey all, I thought I'd share some mods I came up with for the Ge boost part of the Tri-Boost (dunno if they've been done before or not).
The first one is converting to an NPN transistor (OC140, CV7112, available from Small Bear). It was inspired by the DAM Red Rooster which uses this transistor and reportedly has much lower noise (and it does compared to the OC44 I used in another rangemaster build).
The second is converting the fixed gain to a pot. The Tri-boost has the transistor gain set full up with the volume control acting like a master. I wanted it to operate like a real rangemaster.
The third is changing the three way switch to a continuously variable range pot which blenads in the larger cap in parallel with the smaller cap. It's also inspired by the Red Rooster. I still need to play with cap values to get the best range but the mod itself works.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions. Sorry for the amateurish graphics.
http://homepage.mac.com/sonicvi/triboostmods.pdf

and some pics of my build. I used black shaft 9mm Alpha pots from mouser and mouted them to small pieces or perfboard. I also changed out some components. The top 9mm pot is the range control, the large knob on the left is the Ge gain, and the small pot on the left in the master volume.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

SPeter wrote: I got this idea from Joe Gagan`s Easy Face

:hmmm: i don't see a cap fader on the input of the easyface, just a simple pregain pot.

i do like the mod though. it looks like an easy tone controller.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

I'm building one of these, and the tone mod works very well. On the breadboard I found that different types of caps can make a huge difference in clarity and tone. I was using a cheapo green metal film for the larger value but tried a poly and it sounded a lot sweeter. I'm a newbie and this is a super easy pedal to build, it's crazy that you can get $350 for a used Red Rooster (I just sold mine for that).

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

I was using a cheapo green metal film for the larger value but tried a poly and it sounded a lot sweeter
What values ?

I must do one , but it must find some money to buy all part :mrgreen:

Tomrow I'll do a veroboard with this "range pot".

350dollars !? it hurts!

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

I ended up with a Panasonic film .0045uf for the main cap and a polyester 1.5uf for the blend. I've heard of people using .0022uf -- 2.2uf. The poly cap sounded way smoother than the greenie, which sounded more distorted when you cranked in the low end... some people might like that though.

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

Maybe we can change 68K to a 100Ktrim and 3K9 to a 5Ktrim, like Keekey's java boost. :D

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

Yeah you could do all kinds of things -- for me I like simple pedals, especially OD, fuzz and boosts that don't have too many tweaks.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

RnFR wrote:
SPeter wrote: I got this idea from Joe Gagan`s Easy Face

:hmmm: i don't see a cap fader on the input of the easyface, just a simple pregain pot.

i do like the mod though. it looks like an easy tone controller.
i see now- it's the easy face from tonepad.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TheLemon »

What value blend pot would be reccomended for a germanium PNP circuit?

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

100k linear taper.

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

I forget to say my veroboard isn't verified, but I think It works .
Yeah you could do all kinds of things -- for me I like simple pedals, especially OD, fuzz and boosts that don't have too many tweaks.
Yeah, I like doing verboards for little circuit as boost, OD , fuzz . Actually, I haven't a machine to do PCBs so I haven't the choise :lol:

TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TheLemon »

playon wrote:100k linear taper.
Thanks, I used a .0022 orange drop and .1 sozo and the blend is really cool and useful. I only had a 100k linear taper for the volume control too, but I should have a 10K audio in the mail soon. What difference will this make?

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

Not sure what difference it would make, the 10k resistance is part of the transistor bias, but if it sounds OK...

Did you build it according to the above schematic, with 10k resistor followed by a 100k pot, or did you use a pot where the 10k resistor goes? I use a 10k pot in place of the fixed resistor, the original rangemaster was just on full blast at all times... it's a more distorted sound. The schematic above with the fixed 10k resistor would have the more distorted sound with the 100k pot acting as a master volume, but I prefer the 10k pot in place of the fixed 10k, where it's cleaner until it's all the way cranked... it's more useful for me that way, a cleaner germanium boost unless it's maxed out. This is the way the D.A.M. Red Rooster is made.

TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TheLemon »

I used the 100K linear pot where the 10k resistor goes. I followed this schematic:

Will a 10K audio pot sound better because its closer to the biasing specs of the tranistor?