Hammond Polycarbonate boxes...

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Cambridge 30 R Twin
Completed builds: Clyde McCoy Wah with Whipple+Red Fasel inductor switch, Fuzz Face with own layout

Post by kierc »

I have one of those see-through red Hammond boxes (a 'B' sized one), and was just wondering if it's OK to use them with effects??

Thanks!

Kier.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

forget about shielding then...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Clyde McCoy Wah with Whipple+Red Fasel inductor switch, Fuzz Face with own layout

Post by kierc »

lol I'm guessing that was a joke...
Would it just be too noisy to use?

I have an Eddystone B that I can use, but just wondering what I could use this plastic one for...

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Just have to use a particularly Un Noisy circuit, no high gain distortions i guess... https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... c=73222.80 You can see here about halfway down, maybe a bit more that Frequency Central has used the cases for his Murder One Amp, so not entirely useless, but other than that, don't really know what to use it for.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

it was :D

but there should be a lot of RF noise in it. and hi-gain circuits might be noisier...

A passive looper? I don't know if a modulation pedal, say a chorus, would suffer from this lack of shielding...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by kierc »

How about a Prof. Tweed? 8)

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

I dunno if this is a feasible idea but if you shielded the inside of the case with sticky back copper shielding, if it's see through you could get a nice red copper contrast? But i'd assume as with an unshielded guitar once you started using mains, or got near lighting or something on stage you'd start getting some hum from it, but i dunno I guess... I used my plastic cases for casing up my transistor testers and so on... But I'm sure someone else knows better than me about this.

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by kierc »

It won't be used on stage - I'm a home player really, still learning to play but like to fiddle making effects for something to do, and possibly use in the future lol

I do like the copper idea though... only problem is, are both sides copper but one sticky?

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Yea i was wondering that myself, I'm trying to think back to when i shielded my Strat and i'm pretty sure they are yea, you peel the paper off and the copper is just tacky (which would make sense really, otherwise theyd have to meld copper onto another surface which I don't think they would), I bought it from http://www.axesrus.com/axeknobs.htm#Switch they do 1 Square foot for £6.95

DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by kierc »

Well I've almost finished building a Prof. Tweed into the 1591B - getting pretty tight in there! 3 20mm pots, 2 jacks, 3pdt, a 9v and the board+wiring!! :mrgreen: with chicken heads aswell so they're spaced out just enough to turn them! (Haven't seen many P. Tweed builds, but haven't seen any in a "B" size yet :hmmm: )

Anyways, I have a question about adjusting the drain voltage on the P.Tweed and didn't feel like starting a new thread for (what seems to me) a silly question...

Do I poke my DMM probes from the 9v trace to after each trim pots' trace (which goes to the Drain pin?)

And I'm guessing I set my DMM to V on the 200m setting??? (this is the lowest one in the V section...)
- Black/COM probe to 9v and Red to Drain pin???

Here's a quick link to ROG's P.Tweed page : http://runoffgroove.com/professor.html

Thanks again! :block: