DOD - FX13 Gonkulator  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Skarrgus
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Skarrgus »

If anyone wants this, here it is... Factory schem, so unsure of any errors.
Attachments
FX13_Gonculator.pdf
(47.12 KiB) Downloaded 1552 times

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Thanks! I'd totally forgotten about that one!
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Skarrgus
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Skarrgus »

soulsonic wrote:Thanks! I'd totally forgotten about that one!

No problem... I actually forget what it sounds like. It's been almost 6 years since I actually played one. The part I'm interested in is the ring-mod. I'm thinking of putting a Punkifier circuit in place of the Grunge.
I can't remember, but I do recall there being a mod that enabled you to change the frequency of the carrier signal.

krellmusician
Information

Post by krellmusician »

I modded one of mine (I have two; left the other stock) so that the distortion level control now controls the ring modulator frequency. I also added three toggle switches, one to toggle the distortion on and off (I picked a fixed resistor that produced an amount of distortion that I liked, and wired it in instead of the level control, with the toggle switching it in and out), one to set the ring modulator carrier signal range (switches a larger capacitor into the circuit to bring the oscillator into the subaudio range), and one to switch the internal oscillator feed between the triangle wave (stock) and the square wave (for a choppy tremelo at the subaudio settings; the square wave has a DC level shift that I haven't yet addressed, however, so that mod is less than successful). Space on the pedal was cramped but I managed to get everything in there. Ugly but somewhat more useful now; at least it passes the "Don Ellis Tears of Joy" test (I'm a trumpet player).

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

krellmusician wrote:I modded one of mine (I have two; left the other stock) so that the distortion level control now controls the ring modulator frequency. I also added three toggle switches, one to toggle the distortion on and off (I picked a fixed resistor that produced an amount of distortion that I liked, and wired it in instead of the level control, with the toggle switching it in and out), one to set the ring modulator carrier signal range (switches a larger capacitor into the circuit to bring the oscillator into the subaudio range), and one to switch the internal oscillator feed between the triangle wave (stock) and the square wave (for a choppy tremelo at the subaudio settings; the square wave has a DC level shift that I haven't yet addressed, however, so that mod is less than successful). Space on the pedal was cramped but I managed to get everything in there. Ugly but somewhat more useful now; at least it passes the "Don Ellis Tears of Joy" test (I'm a trumpet player).

please can you post gut shot of original one? :) component and trace sides?
thanks
boris

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Skarrgus wrote:
No problem... I actually forget what it sounds like. It's been almost 6 years since I actually played one.
It sounds pretty bad.. :mrgreen:
Hard to forget..
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

Antuan
Information

Post by Antuan »

borislavgajic wrote:
krellmusician wrote:I modded one of mine (I have two; left the other stock) so that the distortion level control now controls the ring modulator frequency. I also added three toggle switches, one to toggle the distortion on and off (I picked a fixed resistor that produced an amount of distortion that I liked, and wired it in instead of the level control, with the toggle switching it in and out), one to set the ring modulator carrier signal range (switches a larger capacitor into the circuit to bring the oscillator into the subaudio range), and one to switch the internal oscillator feed between the triangle wave (stock) and the square wave (for a choppy tremelo at the subaudio settings; the square wave has a DC level shift that I haven't yet addressed, however, so that mod is less than successful). Space on the pedal was cramped but I managed to get everything in there. Ugly but somewhat more useful now; at least it passes the "Don Ellis Tears of Joy" test (I'm a trumpet player).

please can you post gut shot of original one? :) component and trace sides?
thanks
boris
Yes, please, the owners of this Gonkulator FX-13 need your habilities! And tank you so much!