Toneczar - Openhaus  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Thanks... it wasn't so much my intention to clone for the sake of cloning, but more for the sake of "creating all things (more or less) equal", so that the component identification would not be obscured by altered layout, etc. But hey, if you're gonna clone it, might as well do it right - and it's just a one-off for me.

Anyway..... got the original boxed back up tonight. Proper JFET identification seemed to be the only thing left. As stated earlier, I was initially trying a J201 or an MPF102. The J201 had the right distortion characteristics, but lacked the "tightness" of the original's sound. The MPF102 had the tightness, but seemed to lack the gain. Tried a 2N5457 tonight, and this is very close - it has the tightness and the gain. Difficult to tell the difference between the two. Switches also perform correctly with the 2N5457 (the MPF102 seemed to make the switches "over-react" in their settings).
I've got to make a Mouser order, so I'll order a couple different types of JFETs to keep experimenting while I still have the original, but I'd say we have a working winner.....

plugzzzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plugzzzz »

great job abfackeln gonna be waiting for the schematic and pcb layout of this... will also post my first contribution for the site... anyone wants pictures of KOCH pedaltone guts????? :D :D :D :D

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Nice work, abfackeln.

Check your PM inbox, please. :)

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

Nice job,thanks a lot abfackeln !
:applause:
Waiting for the final schematic and layout!
:D

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

culturejam wrote:Nice work, abfackeln.

Check your PM inbox, please. :)
Did you send me something? Not seeing it......

silverface
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by silverface »

plugzzzz wrote:anyone wants pictures of KOCH pedaltone guts????? :D :D :D :D
Sure!

controller700
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by controller700 »

:shock:
Awesome job, Mr. abfackeln!!

The ücb looks really professional. Too bad that there´s no space left for the battery...

Sound demos, pleazze. :wink:

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

controller700 wrote::shock:
Awesome job, Mr. abfackeln!!

The ücb looks really professional. Too bad that there´s no space left for the battery...

Sound demos, pleazze. :wink:
Well you would need two batteries anyway.

guiddruid
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guiddruid »

abfackeln wrote:
guiddruid wrote:Cool! Let's see some pics.
You got it
Nice! Thank you. :) Looks like a tight fit to get it all in there.

plugzzzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plugzzzz »

any updates here?? planing on building this

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

What was the date on the bottom of the pedal? I heard from the builder that there had been some changes to the circuit and am wondering when this one was made.

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Great job abfackeln !
I just got one dated '4/09'. I'm curious about the Exp. portion of the design. Mr R sez anything but
his modded EB pedals will not work. Are Toneczar Exp. pedals active in that they require a B+ source?
Is it a matter of reversing the polarity of the typical Send jack? Getting the fuzz to bloom during a solo
would be something I'd like to try. 8)
Do you have one of Ed's Exp. pedals MaryKelly? Did you incorporate the Exp. jack in your build abfackeln?
Thanks for sharing your experience,

Noel Grassy.
Attachments
TONECZAR OPENHAUS[2009,$400]Mine!.jpg
TONECZAR OPENHAUS[2009,$400]Mine!.jpg (140.28 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Nice shrubbery!! :mrgreen:

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Yeah those things are encroaching my property from every direction. And the stink they put off
would gag a maggot. I wish I could find a way to rid myself of those pernicious weeds. :whappen:
cheers,

NG.
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

Seems like the OP just built his clone and that was that. No more info. :(

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Whoismarykelly wrote:Seems like the OP just built his clone and that was that. No more info. :(
Think before you speak......

You've likely noticed that I've been quite active in another project, inside and outside of this forum. Also worked with kusi in fine-tuning the schematic (he did the real work); attempting to validate proper jfet against the original; determining reason that my build has slightly more midrange content than the original, etc., etc. Not much point in publishing a schematic if it's not 100% validated (or as much as can be), is there? Schematic is forthcoming, but I don't recall you offering any help before making a post like that......

edit: the more I think about it, that was pretty messed-up of you to say, Whoismarykelly.....

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

abfackeln wrote:
Whoismarykelly wrote:Seems like the OP just built his clone and that was that. No more info. :(
Think before you speak......

You've likely noticed that I've been quite active in another project, inside and outside of this forum. Also worked with kusi in fine-tuning the schematic (he did the real work); attempting to validate proper jfet against the original; determining reason that my build has slightly more midrange content than the original, etc., etc. Not much point in publishing a schematic if it's not 100% validated (or as much as can be), is there? Schematic is forthcoming, but I don't recall you offering any help before making a post like that......

edit: the more I think about it, that was pretty messed-up of you to say, Whoismarykelly.....
I didn't know you were so engrossed in another project. I only stop in here every so often. Didn't mean to offend you but I sent you a message a while ago and then posted here but couldn't get a response and figured maybe you had moved on. I dont have a pedal to take apart and help you or I would have.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Whoismarykelly wrote:I dont have a pedal to take apart and help you or I would have.
Maybe i'm way off base here, but when this particular project got going, didn't you ask abfackeln:

"How about the polite request on the bottom of the pedal that asks that photos of the PCB not be posted on the internet..."

:scratch:

Have we made you a true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates in that short a time? :lol: :hmmm:

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

culturejam wrote:
Whoismarykelly wrote:I dont have a pedal to take apart and help you or I would have.
Maybe i'm way off base here, but when this particular project got going, didn't you ask abfackeln:

"How about the polite request on the bottom of the pedal that asks that photos of the PCB not be posted on the internet..."

:scratch:

Have we made you a true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates in that short a time? :lol: :hmmm:
Purely for the sake of discussion really. I was just wondering what he thought about it and people responded that they saw it as more of a suggestion than anything and the buyer really had their choice of what to do as no NDA is signed before receiving a pedal.

If I did have an openhaus I might have seen if there were markings inside my pedal or anything that would have helped decipher what the parts were. I respect Ed and a lot of the things he has contributed to the DIY community before he started Toneczar so I personally might have posted the schem without the PCB pictures. Just two different ways to accomplish the same thing.

EDIT — I should also say that I really like Ed and I like his pedals so I feel differently about him than say a guy that just builds a rat and a tube screamer, goops them, and calls it a day. I feel like a lot of people felt a little like that during the HBOD thing because Bjorn had been a pretty nice and helpful guy when it came to talking about his designs and sending people in the right direction.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Fair enough.