Xotic - BB Preamp  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Orkspalter
Information

Post by Orkspalter »

Heres a photo of the limited edition copper version of the xotic bb preamp. The website doesn´t say anything if its an improved version or only the same circuit in a different shiny box
Attachments
2867531122_523b4c62ca_b.jpg
2866700047_18aff375c2_b.jpg

elrengofa
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by elrengofa »

hi, i never post here, but i get this layout from a brazillian forum
Attachments
bb_preamp_Guitarhero_final.rar
(299.8 KiB) Downloaded 1482 times

batteryacidtea
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by batteryacidtea »

This layout by GuitarHero is verified, there's lots of working builds (i've made 3 using this layout). Pretty big, but sounds gorgeous.

Chris_mt
Information

Post by Chris_mt »

The Schematics are not correct!, none of them!, the clipping diodes are across pins 6 and 7 with the cap, take a look at a degooped BB preamp pic i got of the net, I can not find the correct schematic anywhere on the net for this pedal......

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

Chris_mt wrote:The Schematics are not correct!, none of them!, the clipping diodes are across pins 6 and 7 with the cap, take a look at a degooped BB preamp pic i got of the net, I can not find the correct schematic anywhere on the net for this pedal......

(...)
:hmmm: I may be wrong but probably it just means that the the two sections of the op-amp are not in the same order. From the sound viewpoint, it shouldn't make any difference.
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

TheNixonWayne
Information

Post by TheNixonWayne »

Yes I agree. Diodes are connected to pin 6 and 7... and this really not neccesary mean that these two stages are in different order. I believe clipping stage is stil the first but with second part of opamp. Sometimes is easier to make layout to use second gate in opamp instead of first gates (to avoid vias etc).

I attached a modified part of schematics (Douglas Castro's schematics) regarding screenshot and comments mentioned before. However as mentioned before this doesn't make any audiable differences (only layout purpose)

Nix

kram888
Information

Post by kram888 »

batteryacidtea wrote:This layout by GuitarHero is verified, there's lots of working builds (i've made 3 using this layout). Pretty big, but sounds gorgeous.
I've just finished building this and it sure sounds close to the real thing but with more mids.

Danch
Information

Post by Danch »

Hello,
yesterday I was looking at bb preamp guts, it has 4x1n4148 in the loop just added one in each direction on kusi schematic, C1815Y transistors, and IC was JRC for sure, but I could not see the numbers clearly, 4558BD maybe. This is just different version than before, probably less compressed because of two added diodes.

TheNixonWayne
Information

Post by TheNixonWayne »

Has anybody found out which circuit is in BB plus for second channel (B channel)? I have BB plus but it is hard to find out, it has something to do with green LED (for clipping) and transistors mentioned in earlier post. Channel A is BB preamp with only Tone knobe (withoud baxandall tonestack), but channel B has Mid, Bas, Tre.

TheNixonWayne
Information

Post by TheNixonWayne »

Oh I forgot there are two pushbuttons for hard/soft compression. I believe this switch only adds more clipping (sounds like that when pressing).

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

elrengofa wrote:hi, i never post here, but i get this layout from a brazillian forum
This is not completely correct and pins 2 and 3 of the first half of IC1 need to be swaped because the input signal meets first half of IC1 in an inverting input (pin 2)!

kram888
Information

Post by kram888 »

mrkaploca wrote:
elrengofa wrote:hi, i never post here, but i get this layout from a brazillian forum
This is not completely correct and pins 2 and 3 of the first half of IC1 need to be swaped because the input signal meets first half of IC1 in an inverting input (pin 2)!
Have you breadboarded this? I've already made a pcb version and it works tremendously close to the real thing.FYI, i have the real thing.

separanets
Information
my favorite amplifier: peavey vtm-60

Post by separanets »

I designed a veroboard, but I'm so perplexed by loads of different schematics provided in this discussion that I can't be sure I've choosen a right one for veroboarding.

separanets
Information
my favorite amplifier: peavey vtm-60

Post by separanets »

Here is my layout.

MRobi777
Information

Post by MRobi777 »

Hi!

Just one question:
R23 resistance=? Ω

THX
Robert

MRobi777
Information

Post by MRobi777 »

Hi!

Just one question:
R23 resistance=? Ω

http://darkfinn.googlepages.com/BBSchem.jpg

THX
Robert

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

MRobi777 wrote:Hi!

Just one question:
R23 resistance=? Ω

http://darkfinn.googlepages.com/BBSchem.jpg

THX
Robert
47K!
:)

MRobi777
Information

Post by MRobi777 »

THX :D

extremist
Information

Post by extremist »

Hello guys! Does anybody knows what potentiometers used in xotic effects for tone controls (the ones with "middle point")? Brand/type?

stoske87
Information
Completed builds: Phaser - it is in working condition :D
Completed Rat - NOT WORKING proper and i couldn't find bug :(
Completed Rat - NOT WORKING proper (i want this pedal but it is getting on my nerv!!!)
TS808 - i am insanely satisfied with this one!
eBow - work in progress, updates soon!!!

Post by stoske87 »

I used layout from a brazillian forum and it is working... I still need to find the way to get rid of hummmmmmm but it sound Andy Timmonish :mrgreen:
Pics tomorrow!

Thanks!!! (4 layout, support etc.......)