scroll saw for cutting PCB

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

Anybody use a scroll saw for cutting out/trimming PCB's? My wife has one that's been in the box for years, so I pulled it out a few weeks ago, and it's actually a pretty nice one. It's got a nice and heavy cast iron table. Once I sanded all the rust off of it, and cleaned it up, it works like a dream.

I figured that it would be a great tool for cutting out PCB's, and it really is, but the blades I have aren't worth a shit for cutting PCB material. They only last about 4-6" before they get too hot and ruin the saw teeth. Anybody got any suggestions for a some durable blades that would last longer? I'm thinking a ban saw would be a better choice for my overall needs, but the scroll saw was free, and I'd rather have a dedicated machine for the small stuff.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Funny coincidence, I was just going to buy one, and a bench grinder for the same reason. You can get a nice Clark model here in the UK for not a lot of money.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

Let me know if you find a blade that works well.

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

I tried a scroll saw thinking it would be faster and easier and, in my case, it was definitely not. The blades didn't cut through efficiently at all. In my head it was a knife through butter. I now use tin snips to cut them out and it takes seconds. Block sanding the edges works if you can't cut straight on large boards, for exceptional guts.

Machinery is always more fun to use, though, so I wish you luck in the blade hunt.