Good Times

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Good Times

Postby soulsonic » 29 Apr 2018, 08:31

soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 265 times

Re: Good Times

Postby soulsonic » 10 May 2018, 08:32

just in case maybe people didn't realize, this is a thing I made recently. this is the kind of nonsense I've been up to in my absence from here.
:horsey:
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Postby deltafred » 10 May 2018, 15:22

Where's the like button when you need it!

:applause:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 253 times

Postby ppluis0 » 10 May 2018, 19:05

soulsonic wrote:this is the kind of nonsense I've been up to in my absence from here.

It's nice to see that you're back here !!! 8)

Cheers,
Jose
ppluis0
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby bajaman » 10 May 2018, 23:56

Hi Martin :D
cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings
bajaman
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1363 times

Postby fuzzbunny » 12 May 2018, 05:23

soulsonic wrote:Melt away! :horsey:
https://vimeo.com/265914343

Cool stuff! ( hot stuff? )

For a moment I thought the video was demonstrating a new high tech gooping process.... :shock:
fuzzbunny

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby soulsonic » 12 May 2018, 17:49

fuzzbunny wrote:
soulsonic wrote:Melt away! :horsey:
https://vimeo.com/265914343

Cool stuff! ( hot stuff? )

For a moment I thought the video was demonstrating a new high tech gooping process.... :shock:

Not very high tech. Power resistors calculated to burn about 240w bolted to heatsinks too small to adequately dissipate that much energy without getting way too hot. Surface got to about 140 degrees Celsius in 5 minutes! I think maximum was around 165-ish...at least that's when I turned it off during testing because the wax was starting to smoke. :lol:
I cycled it off and on a couple of times during the exhibition to avoid the burning wax problem, that's why you see it sort of pause for a moment. Also, I did that so it didn't melt away too quickly. :lol:

OK, so quick update on my life for anyone who cares to know. I finally finished my Bachelor's degree last year - I had started it way back in 1996. :slap: Since I didn't want to lose any steam, I applied for grad school before finishing and got accepted into the Master of Fine Arts program at the University at Buffalo, and I'm finishing up my first year there now. They have me teaching an intro to photography course, and though I dreaded it, I find teaching to be much more agreeable than any of the other rotten jobs I've had in my life. I am noticing there are some ugly internal politics between professors and administration, and I get the impression this is a common worldwide phenomenon, but hopefully I can earn enough from my art that I'd maybe only need to teach one or two classes part-time and not have to wade too deeply into that whole mess. :lol:
bajaman wrote:Hi Martin :D
cheers
bajaman

:hug:

If there's anyone here who appreciates noise, you might find my latest performance entertaining. :lol:
https://vimeo.com/269117609

Packing up to go to China for a month. Doing an art exchange/residency thing with Tsinghua University in Beijing. Supposed to collaborate with some grad student there. Should be interesting...will be my 4th time visiting China and 2nd time in Beijing. Always interesting there, considering my skill with Chinese is worse than even my atrocious French :blackeye
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Postby deltafred » 13 May 2018, 20:37

Congrats on getting your degree (I know first hand how difficult it is going back to studying), and good luck in Beijing and with your masters degree.

Interesting video. :applause:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
deltafred
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 253 times

Return to Freestomp Café!