Headphones + pedals

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

Headphones + pedals

Postby black03 » 07 Jul 2018, 00:25

Hi, what is the best device to test and listen to pedals with headphones? I was thinking about buying the Vox plug Amp with a good headset, but I did not try it and I do not know if the distortions sound bad?
Recommendations?
black03

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Headphones + pedals

Postby sixthfloor » 07 Jul 2018, 15:45

The vox amplug will distort what you hear. Not very good for listening to a pedal on its own IMO.

I'd recommend plugging the pedals and your headphones directly to a mixer, or using a multi-fx unit (e.g. zoom G1on) in bypass mode.
sixthfloor
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby apollomusicservice » 07 Jul 2018, 20:36

I use my DIY tube/mosfet headphone amp, very good linearity and sound very good.
apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 764 times

Postby 287m » 08 Jul 2018, 12:00

try Velleman K4102 < your prefered cabsim < pedal in test
287m
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby black03 » 09 Jul 2018, 01:19

287m wrote:try Velleman K4102 < your prefered cabsim < pedal in test

It works well? You have bad score on Amazon, I saw many videos that on the Namm are with headphones testing pedals, as manufacturers do?
black03

Postby 287m » 10 Jul 2018, 02:13

black03 wrote:

It works well? You have bad score on Amazon, I saw many videos that on the Namm are with headphones testing pedals, as manufacturers do?

What you mean about me have bad score in amazon :shock: never buy and sell in amazon. Just affiliate for some time ago. hahaha

its just a suggestion. you can try it on breadboard ( as schemo already on net ). If suit you, build it :mrgreen: btw, we talk about DIY, yes?
or you want try this? :wink:
sorry for lazy draw, all opamp is 5532. OL & OR is output for headphone jack.

for me, a (almost) flat response headphone/iem/earbud is must. best bang for buck is takstar HD2000 or ts671
287m
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 56 times

Postby black03 » 14 Jul 2018, 19:22

287m wrote:
black03 wrote:

What you mean about me have bad score in amazon :shock: never buy and sell in amazon. Just affiliate for some time ago. hahaha

its just a suggestion. you can try it on breadboard ( as schemo already on net ). If suit you, build it :mrgreen: btw, we talk about DIY, yes?
or you want try this? :wink:
sorry for lazy draw, all opamp is 5532. OL & OR is output for headphone jack.

for me, a (almost) flat response headphone/iem/earbud is must. best bang for buck is takstar HD2000 or ts671

Thank you for your response, but I really can not find options to buy in addition to the vallerman, as do the manufacturers to show their products at the Expo as Namm? I see many depriving with headphones.

Thank you
black03

Postby soulsonic » 17 Aug 2018, 05:21

apollomusicservice wrote:I use my DIY tube/mosfet headphone amp, very good linearity and sound very good.
[ Image ]
sixthfloor wrote:The vox amplug will distort what you hear. Not very good for listening to a pedal on its own IMO.

I'd recommend plugging the pedals and your headphones directly to a mixer, or using a multi-fx unit (e.g. zoom G1on) in bypass mode.

Terrible advices....

I test my pedals with headphones all the time. The #1 thing is you MUST use some kind of thing with a cab sim. I built myself a simple headphone amp with a condor/marshall (switchable) cab sim circuit with a little simple mosfet preamp thing before that (to boost the signal up a bit to get a good level) and it works great.

ANYTHING WITHOUT A CAB SIM BEFORE THE HEADPHONE AMP WILL SOUND ABSOLUTELY AWFUL AND GIVE YOU A VERY POOR IMPRESSION OF WHAT THE PEDAL SOUNDS LIKE

I realize someone in this thread mentioned a cab sim already, so I'm not ignoring that post, I'm just saying, please pay attention to that advice to use a cab sim because it is absolutely necessary with headphones.

A pedal can't drive headphones directly, unless it's special with a headphone amp and cab sim built in, OMG...
soulsonic
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 269 times

Postby roseblood11 » 20 Aug 2018, 22:24

Some of these small "amplugs" have really good clean sounds.
roseblood11
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 309 times

Return to Freestomp Café!